Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-26-2002, 08:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Question about Making Muffins

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I can't make good muffins from scratch! I love muffins, but when I make them they always turn out dry. Don't even try eating them the next day! My mother says I may be over-mixing, but I try to mix just until it's all "together" (does that make sense!?)

Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated, especially by my family who has to try and eat them!

Thanks for your help,
Angela
Old 09-26-2002, 11:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
When I make muffins, I mix all of the liquids in one bowl and then the dry stuff in another. I add the raisins, nuts, ect... into the dry mix so that they get a coating on them, this seems to help stop them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin. Mix the liquids into teh dry stuff just until everything is wet.

Overbaking could be another reason they are dry. My oven tends to heat about 25* hotter than the dial reads so I have to make sure to compensate for that too.

What kind of muffins are you making?
Heres a really easy, versatile recipe.......

Good Luck!!

Sarah's Do-It-Yourself Muffins

The author of the Healthy Oven Baking Book thinks that every cook needs a basic healthy muffin recipe to whip up a batch whenever the strikes. Mix in blueberries,raspberries,cranberries... whatever is in season. Just do it you way!

Serving: 12
Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Nonstick canola oil spray
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spoon into a measuring cup and level top)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 grated tsp fresh nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 packed cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisinss

1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350F. Lightly spray twelve 2 by 1 inch nonstick muffin cups with oil.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined. Set aside.

3. In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set at high speed, beat the buttermilk, applesauce, brown sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla until frothy, about two minutes. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Using a spoon, mix just until moistened. Gently fold in the raisins until the flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.

4. Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Bake until the tops spring back when pressed gently in the center, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool in the pan on a wire cake rim for 10 minutes before removing from cups. Serve warm or cool.

SUBSTITUTIONS:
Berry Muffins: substitute 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (do not thaw) blueberries or raspberries for the raisins.

Chocolate Chip Muffins: Omit the raisins; add 1/4 cup mini-chocolate chips.

Cranberry-Pumpkin Muffins: Subsitute 1/2 cup solid pack pumpkin for 1/2 cup of the applesauce and 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (do not thaw) cranberries for the raisins.

Winter Fruit Muffins: Substitute 1/2 cup prune baby food for 1/2 cup of the applesauce and 1/2 cup dried currants for the raisins.

Nut Muffins: Omit the raisins; sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans over the tops of the muffins and press gently into the batter before baking.

Based on individual serving.
Calories: 176Total Fat: 3 gCarbohydrates: 35 gProtein: 3 g

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!