Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Money Management Having trouble starting a budget? Need advice for college savings? Discuss your money ideas here.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've never been a victim, but I get the dollarstretcher.com news letter & they often have advice on avoiding identity theft & what to do if it happens to you. I think that is their website, if I spelled it right.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you

Thanks every one for your advice. I pulled my husbands credit report and there is nothing abnormal about it. We have not heard from the lawyer handling the case. I will call this week. We have also made an appointment with debt counselling this week. jenni
Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When anyone in a medical setting asks for a SS# ask them if they can give you waht's called a pseudo-number. We used to issue these to newborns and people who didn't know/refused to give numbers. I have also had school issue them when I refused to give up SS#'s for tracking purposes. No one is going to protect your number like you can.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 04-25-2003, 01:12 PM

Credit Bureaus

As a former employee of the Credit Bureau of Columbus Inc. aka CBI/Equifax of Atlanta, Ga.

Did you know that it is your right to ask that they take your name off their marketing list. Just tell them you want a "Block" put on your credit file. This means they can't sell your name to anyone. That's where all these credit card offers come from and the Credit Reporting Services make money off each one of those offers. This is permanant until you tell them otherwise. You must contact each one, Trans Union, TRW which I think is now called Experian and CBI/Equifax. We did this after I quit working there and got tired of all the junk mail. Identity Theft was not as big in 1998 as it is now. I just read that the credit reporting agencies are making a stronger effort to help consumers but what a nightmare. Good luck.

Anna
Old 05-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Just received this by email this morning from CNET.com

GOOD ADVICE
Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine, do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.

A corporate attorney sent this out to the employees in his company. I pass it along, for your information.

We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed using your name, address, SSN, credit, etc. Unfortunately I (the author of this piece who happens to be an attorney) have firsthand knowledge, because my wallet was stolen last month and within a week the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.

But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know. As everyone always advises, cancel your credit cards immediately, but the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them easily. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important: (I never ever thought to do this). Call the three national credit-reporting organizations immediately, place a fraud alert on your name and SSN. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost 2 weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done.

There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

The numbers are:

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

We pass along jokes -- we pass along just about everything. Do think about passing this information along. It could really help someone.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:53 AM

Excellant Advice

Janet-

Thanks for sharing that with us, it is excellant advice, I had forgot about the fraud alert it does show up pedominantly on your credit report.

Another Tip- This happened to a friend of mine. She had her checks stolen, put a block on them with the bank, the thieves waited 6 months and started writting checks again. The bank only monitors for about 6 months (this was through Bank One).

Anna
Old 01-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I agree

I agree these are great tips. My Credit Card number was just stolen. I never lost the card but someone was using a card with my numbers all up and down the east coast. Our bank took care of it right away which was great.

Be Careful!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Excellent thread. My niece if having some questionable stuff going on with her name so I'm going to sit down with her and go over all these recommendations and scenarios. Thanks ladies.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

JulieCC,

Praise God! We are hearing from you...Trainlady and I were talking around Christmas time about people we haven't heard from on a long time...Your name came up too!

Train & I both hoped you would pop in! Answer to prayer.

How have you been? whatcha been doing?

Love, JanetM
Old 01-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Janet! Nice to know I've been thought of. I love the thought of "answered prayer".

I've been just fine, crazy busy as I'm sure everyone is. We have been mostly without a computer until just recently; DH bought an Apple so now I have a computer that consistently works. It is fun to be catching up with everyone.