Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Money Management Having trouble starting a budget? Need advice for college savings? Discuss your money ideas here.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thumbs down Jobless

Okay- I have been laid off AGAIN. 5th time. I am in the mortgage industry and this is crazy. I want to do something else...but all my experience is in mortgage. I can collect unemployment, but how does one start a new field at 52 years old?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Nine Year Member

Could you get hired at a Bank as a loan officer?

Make a list of everything you do at work, what you do at home, and hobbies you have that could earn you money. Look at what you have listed and focus on them not the job title. When you apply for unemployment talk to them about changing careers they should have some training available for you.

Roberta
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

yes, I could. But I am terrified of being paid commission vs salary/hourly
Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member

hi daisy, I didn't know what to say, I looked up your town and it is very small, But it is linked to Clermont which is linked to the University of Cincinnati, so I got this link when I put in the search bar for the university the word, 'mortgage'. Search Results: mortgage

Seems like they do some work with mortgages in their classes. Contact a professor and see if you can do some service for them, here are some ideas:

1. grading gets paid usually.
2. guest lecturer, you do have a bunch of experience in teh field!
3. instructor, you'll have to see the requirements if a MS degree is required or not.

if you get a foot in the door, they might have a regular full time position open up, either in admin or some higher paying job.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Make a list you of interest- hobbies- things that you have tried that you enjoyed. Then see if there a job you could find out of that list you could make a job change.
Talk to friends that know you maybe they could help you find something.
Talk to workforce to see if there is any classes that you could take to help you learn a new trade.
Is there some kind of at home job you could do while you are out of work that could grow into a job change?

Best to you
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Check to see what courses /classes Unemployment has available for you to take. Sometimes, they have suggestions and/or funds available for this type of situation.

Also, look into online classes.
You could try University of Phoenix to see what classes they offer online that is of interest to you, and see about grants to use.
Some Grants are not required to be paid back, where as some are only x-amount.

I have two certificates from what use to be called ICS (Scranton PA) - which was an in-home class for certain courses in the trade field equivalent to an AA, and was you "paid" monthly (plus a small interest at the end) as you continued the educational course. Tests were done over the phone (that was in the mid 1990's), then I attended two community colleges in two different states.
The first one I took the entrance exam tests because it had been at least 10 years since I took "formal" education classes, and the second C.C. was b/c we moved back to that state and I wanted to continue the course I was on and graduate.
Everything I needed was paid out of pocket because even though I was unemployed / between jobs, my spouse's income was in a bracket which was too much for grant / but not enough for FT student status and class supplies. Although we did receive discounts because of my age and gender while returning back to "formal" education.

Another suggestion is knowing what your community can afford in what it needs.
Is there a high demand for bankers? then use your mortgage knowledge there

If you're good with numbers and only need a part-time position, see what it takes to work in your local school lunch-rooms.
As a student I spent my mornings before my school day started stocking merchandise and running automated cash registers, and just before my afternoon classes started, I was restocking the snack-bar and working the "manual" cash registers. Then after school I was off to McDonald's to work the front counter and drive-thru window.

My junior year of H.S. I was a part-time, once a week evening student from 6 PM to 9PM, during the day hours M-F I worked the micro-phish machine and cabinets for files the lower level bank employees needed processed through-out the day. Me and my little closet away from window's and others (the ultimate desk cube).

My certificates are: Professional Secretary & Floral Design - I held jobs before, during, and after receiving the certificates.

My Diploma = to an AA degree is in Early Childhood Education, it allows me to be a Preschool Teacher in most states that follow the guidelines of the NAEYC Association, as that is what my education and training was based on.
Some states require a higher degree to offer employment to their possible classroom "lead" teachers, where as the 2nd / 3rd, or room Assistance can be hired on a Part-time or short contract w/the Diploma / AA degree.

You could also try retail merchandising - Tuesday Morning sometimes hires older people (that is anyone 20 years and over) because they are able to work longer hours, or weekends, and holiday's - unlike teens who have school and/or family obligations, or lack a good work ethic(s) in general. Yes, I worked for a Tuesday Morning once, also, Carson Pierre Scott (Boston, etc); Burlington Coat Factory, and a few other dozen or so "retail/grocery" stores along the way.

Sometimes you just have to apply for is available, work that job until something better comes along or stay if you like the newer position you're doing, or keep trying unemployment.

Personally, I've never pulled unemployment, and it has been offered a time or two - but since I am not a one income family, I have not felt the need to file...we muddle through okay, and we don't have two-legged children who require our financial support for most of their daily needs so it's okay that I am not collecting - it also allows more funds to be available for someone / family who really needs their assistance.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I know how you feel as I, too, am starting over at age 52.

With your skills, I would think getting a job at a bank would be one option or because you are good with numbers perhaps an insurance company. Subscribe to some online job listing newsletters for your area (most states have them) and see what types of jobs are out there. Also check with your dept. of employment security for job listings.

I hope you have good luck!

~Mother Theresa

Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 AM

I'm sorry that I just now saw this so late.

Daisy

I hope by now you have found some solution and my first thought is as many of the ladies said banking industry. Best wishes.

Anna
Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank You

Thanks for replying...Doing a little better. Keeping busy around the house. Planning on volunteering at the animal shelter...the no kill one. No jobs in sight but at least I am facing the reality of it. Some good advice from good people here. Thanks again
Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

have you ever heard of mystery shopping? Yes there are companies out there that you can get into mystery shopping without it costing you. Most of the ones that cost are just scams.
They don't pay much, but you may be able to pick up a meal, and others that does pay alot I've been told.
I have a friend who does Mystery shopping. it gives a few extra bucks and she does it when she is goignto be in area, and know it ahead of time. to grab a job that might be in that area.
glad things you better for you, stayng busy does help.