Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Money Management Having trouble starting a budget? Need advice for college savings? Discuss your money ideas here.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Coin Collection

Any coin collectioners out there? If so maybe you can suggest on how to clean a coin. Found a very old coin and can tell it is a USA coin but I don't remember this one.
It looks like someone is dancing, it has a eagle on the back side.
any suggestion what date this could be?

Just wondering if anyone collects coins?
how do you find out how much coins are worth?

I have several from my real dad and would like to find out it's worth.

thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Nine Year Member

I don't collect them but have several of them in my jewlery box. I am hoping for answers here as well as you.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The coin I have in question, I've been soaking it and have got alot of the whatever it was off of it. Have discover it a 1842 coin,
dh thinks it liberty as we can make out a ty as it circle around would could be liberty.

Eagle on the other side. still soaking it to see if we can get more stuff off.

so anyone else that collects coins how do you clean them?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here is an article on how to safely clean old coins.

This link has more hints as well as a link in the article to a coin price guide.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I know that on pennies that ketchup works great on getting the corrosion off of them. In fact it also works great on copper bottom pans too.

I also collect rocks and the two things that I have found work well for cleaning them up, but aren't too harsh are: 1) a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Put the baking soda and whatever you are cleaning in the dish first and then pour the vinegar over it. It will foam but is not dangerous in any way. 2) Denture tablets work really well also. 3) I also found a new one for silver the other day - get a container that will hold whatever you want to clean. Put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of the contain. Pour in enough HOT water to cover the object. Then sprinkle regular table salt into the hot water. It is amazing to watch it come clean.

So those are all of my wise ideas.

America's Military - Get Behind Them or Feel Free to Get in Front of Them
Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thank you. I will try and see which will work.
thanks for the link too, Barbz.