Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Money Management Having trouble starting a budget? Need advice for college savings? Discuss your money ideas here.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

bookkeeping questions

I need to set up a ledger for my home businesses. I have word perfect and I am lost. Can anyone help me?

Or I might use my dd computer, set up on microsoft word and scan a copy into my compter?

I am confused.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Connie---I am not sure what you are wanting to track, but I use an Excel spreadsheet type format for a very simple bookkeeping system for my personal use.
Excel will allow you to use math functions like addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc. You can total columns, track paid and unpaid bills, pretty much whatever you need to keep track of. The sheets are not hard to set up and can be tailored to your specific needs. Microsoft Works also has a similar spreadsheet type program.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I need to track income and expenses for home business. My laptop has Word Perfect, which I hate. I am using my dd's computer which has Microsoft Works, love it. I need to learn Word Perfect or program something else in.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have been using Microsoft Office for so many years that I have forgotten how WordPerfect and Works operate any more. I do know that Works has similar features of Office, but not all the bells and whistles. Maybe an accounting program like Quickbooks would work well for you. I have used this program a bit and it is easy to use, with lot of help online available. I don't think it is a real expensive program either.
If you want to save the dollars and use what you have ---I am sure you could use one of the spreadsheet opitions on Works.
One of the simplest accounts I have set up has one sheet set up to record income and another to record expense. I have my expense categories set up to correspond to my tax expense categories, so that figures can be easily transfered at the end of the year.
Good Luck
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My husband has a P & H business and I do all his books on Microsoft Office Excel. I love the spreadsheets ability to regroup, etc. I used to use lotus way back when but same as you, got a new computer and had to learn newer tech. I even use excel to run the ski program at our school. I can sort the columns and print out only students attending each trip, by grade, last name, ski, board, etc. It makes life a bit easier. I tried the Quick Books software on a trial basis and found it to be more complicated than we needed it to be. It takes some initial time to set up your spreadsheet but once you do, save it and you can use it year after year. Save a blank format with no dated entries as "blank form" then once you started filing in dated entries file again with "books `08".
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ez---That is exactly why I use Excell spreadsheets---I can make them work for the needs I have, not someone else idea of what I might need. Once you get familiar with how Excel works you can tailor your spreadsheet to however it will work best for you. I also save a blank copy of my workbooks and then just use that to duplicate another the following year.