Shell Gas Station

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I don't know why I thought of that yesterday. I remember a while back my DH said they mysteriously come in and then mysteriously leave. I called him yesterday to make sure. He said that if you talk to your bank to please let us know what they say. We also use our debit card for everything except bills. DH sends checks off for that. Since I am going to school in a distant town, I use the ATM card to get enough cash for 2 weeks. I can only get just a few groceries at a time and don't want to use the debit card for every little purchase.

I'm glad you aren't going to have to battle this now.
  • Anna, I called my bank and got a very nice lady! She told me that gas stations (I didn't even tell her the who; I just asked her the why) ususally will check to see if a dollar is available on the account to see if it is an open account before you get gas. Then, when you get gas, they will ask for the amount of gas that you got. So, the dollar is a way to verify your account. She stated that she didn't know why they do that, but that she noticed that it is usually gas stations.

Well, I learned something new.
  • Yeah It Is Gone!
  • a $1 charge that is taken off the next day isn't bad. Here in our city if you use a debit card they charge you $50 yes $50 then the next day it is taken off and the actual amount you bought is charged. They say it is to prevent people from buying more gas than they have money on the card. it is only at pay at the pumps and only with debit cards.
    Iris
  • Iris

Wow, that's alot! I'm sure our state will probably be following that same principle eventually.

Another incident that happened recently at Shell (different station). I went to get gas at the pump, put in my card and it said see attendent. Tried again, same thing. Finally, aggravated I went in-he said Oh now with debit visa cards you must prepay inside. When they first installed the pump things to accept Visa, they advocated "Oh you'll never have to come inside again" now it's back to going inside to pay. I think alot of this whole hokey thing is that Visa is charging interest on the purchase so now they want you to use cash.

Anna
  • OSI, you probably would have had heart failure if you had seen a $50 charge instead of $1. lol

I think I would be very upset if I got $20 worth of gas and a $50 charge caused my account to be overdrawn. DH and I are in different states much of the time and 2 $50 charges in one day would be a killer.