Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Moms of 3 or More

Moms of 3 or More Do you have 3 or more children? Often times, parents with 3 or more kids face challenges that those of 1 or 2 just do not. This board was set up for those parents to ask others how they cope with issues such as making time for each child, who stays u

Old 07-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have "spaced out" kids too. Mine are that way because I got divorced, stayed single for about 8 years, and then remarried.

My two from my first marriage are both boys that are ages 17 & 13 years. My two from my new marriage are twin, 4 year old girls. The funny thing is that my sons were born on the same day, 4 years apart, and then, of course, my girls were born on the same day. Even more funny is that the boys and my husband were all aborn in the same month and the girls and I were all born in the same month.

Just thought I'd share.
Phyll
Old 07-01-2003, 11:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, after reading all these replies, maybe my spacing isn't as wide as I thought! I have three children, a boy 13, a girl 7, and another girl 5 1/2. My gap was also due to infertility problems, like some of the others who have replied. It definitely has its advantages and disadvantages. For me, it was good that my son was 6 when my daughter was born, and he was old enough that he could be left alone in the same room as a baby and know not to harm the baby. He could also be a big help, unlike if he had been a toddler. And since he was in 1st grade, I had the whole day to devote to my daughter. But the downside is that they will never really play together on an equal level, and it was often annoying in a water-park type of place when the younger one wasn't the "right" height for certain attractions. For awhile it seemed all my friends were moms w/ children my sons age or slightly younger/slightly older, and I'd be the only one with "young" children because they were all "done" - now it seems all my friends have younger ones and now I am the one w/ the "older" ones.
I do think 2 1/2 to 3 years age difference is ideal but if you really want children, and get them one way or the other, I guess you will welcome them in whatever time span they come along.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have enjoyed reading all the replies. I can relate to many of the thoughts that have been shared.

I have four children, ages 21, 18, 6 and 3. I never would have planned it this way but I wouldn't want to be without any of them.

I think God has quite a sense of humor. I hope that one day He'll let me in on the reason behind this. I have this feeling that He was trying to show me that I'm not in control! As a bit of a control freak, it's a lesson I continually need to be taught.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

children's age differences

I have 3 children a girl 11, a boy 9 and my youngest son is 3. I never really planned it this way but it is the way God planned it so that's fine with me.

The hardest thing for me is that my 3 year old doesn't understand why he can't do everything that his brother and sometimes his sister get to do.

Debbie J.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:38 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: children's age differences

Quote:
Originally posted by praztogod
IThe hardest thing for me is that my 3 year old doesn't understand why he can't do everything that his brother and sometimes his sister get to do.
That is the problem here and then the little ones throw a fit, because they can't do what the bigger ones are doing. I am so glad I am not the only one going through the "Why can't I" stuff.

But, I guess even if they were a little closer in age but only a couple of years in between, it would be the same thing!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 07-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by phyllsplace
...The funny thing is that my sons were born on the same day, 4 years apart, and then, of course, my girls were born on the same day. Even more funny is that the boys and my husband were all aborn in the same month and the girls and I were all born in the same month.

Just thought I'd share.
Phyll
Phyll, that's cute - same day B/D. I can't imagine how you manage their BD party!
BTW, I'm just 3 days older than you - I was born February 29 of the same year. I though have 2 really close in age sons - 2 y.o. and 4 m.o. Right now it's very hard, I hope it will get easier as they grow up a bit.
Take care,
Old 07-02-2003, 03:48 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have 3 boys which are all 5 1/2 years apart. They have absolutely nothing in common except for us parents. If I had it to do over I think I wouldn't have spread them out quiet so far.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Originally posted by EJaginLa
I have 3 boys which are all 5 1/2 years apart. They have absolutely nothing in common except for us parents. If I had it to do over I think I wouldn't have spread them out quiet so far.
my mom had 10 of us, first there were 2 girls, then 4 boys about 2 yrs apart, then 1 more boy 4 yrs later, then 2 yrs later a girl and 2 yrs after that another girl then 4 yrs later - me -
I have come to love and appreciate my oldest sister so much, especially since she moved to the same town as me. I love going shopping with her and we can talk forever, so time may bring your boys together. The 6 oldest always say that the 4 of us youngest didn't have the same parents as they had, because our parents eased up on us more than they did. You all know how it goes, you tend to get more relaxed the more kids you have.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by lenolle
I though have 2 really close in age sons - 2 y.o. and 4 m.o. Right now it's very hard, I hope it will get easier as they grow up a bit.
[/B]
Are your two that are close in age boys or girls? My first two (oldest a girl and then a boy) were 22 months apart and it was very difficult for those first few years and now it is much easier. They fight like most siblings do but then again they are the best of friends and look out for each other. Now they are 11 and 9. Hope this gives you some hope.

Debbie
Old 07-03-2003, 06:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I HAVE A ALMOST 12 YEAR OLD (SEPT) AND A 5 YEAR OLD, WE HAVE OUR GOOD DAY AND BAD DAYS, TRYING TO DEAL WITH THE 12 YEARS OLD PRE TEEN TANTRUMS AND THEN THE 5 YEAR OLD TANTRUMS CAN WEAR ME THIN SOMETIME, BUT I WON'T TRADE THEM FOR THE WORLD, WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE MY 5 YEAR OLD HE WAS BREECH WHEN HE WAS BORN SO THEY DID A C-SECTION AND HE HAD TO BE RESUSITATED AND SPENT 17 DAYS IN THE NICU I COULD NOT EVEN HOLD HIM FOR THE FIRST 48 HOURS AFTER HE WAS BORN, AND DIDN'T GET TO SEE HIM FOR ALMOST 8 HOURS AFTER HE WAS BORN, HE ONLY WEIGHED 5 LBS, AND WAS SO TINY, HIS DOCTERS STILL CALL HIM A MIRCLE HE HAS CAUGHT UP TO THE OTHER KIDS IN WEIGHT AND HEIGHT AND IS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER 5 YEAR OLD IF YOU THINK YOU CAN HANDLE ANOTHER BABY I SAY GO FOR IT, BUT JUST REMEMBER THAT YOUR ANOTHER KIDS NEED ONE ON ONE TIME TOO, SO IF YOU CAN'T GIVE THEM THAT AND HAVE ANOTHER BABY TOO, I WOULD NOT DO IT, IT WOULD NOT BE WORTH THE RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE OTHER CHILDREN.