Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Moms of 3 or More

Moms of 3 or More Do you have 3 or more children? Often times, parents with 3 or more kids face challenges that those of 1 or 2 just do not. This board was set up for those parents to ask others how they cope with issues such as making time for each child, who stays u

Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm 1 of four children. I shared a large bedroom with my 2 brothers until I was 7 . My big sis then got married and moved out so I was moved to my room. When my kids were babies the older 2 had their own room but as they were toddlers I made 1 room a play room & they shared. When #3 came along she was by herself since she would keep the other 2 awake. When my oldest turned 8 we redidi the snall room for her and the younger 2 ( who got along better) shared.
I was not harmed by sharing with my brothers I actually missed them when I had to move out. I agree as they get older it is important to seperate by sex.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thumbs up

As 1 of 4 (3 g, 1 b) I shared with 2 others. At 1st 2g and 1 b for a few yrs then 3 girls. Dad made 3 high bunk beds for our small trailer room. Now I have 5 in 2 bedroom house. 3 b shared room w/1st g in closet sized storage room till # 5 (a girl) came along. We built boys a basement "dungeon" room to share again and 2 girls shared their old room. I believe sharing promotes better traits in dealing with life. Only 1 child in a room seems to make more selfish children. Not everyone I know but alot.
A good friend raised 2 (1b 1g) in same room and it was never an issue. They changed in bathroom and had to learn to respect privacy at an early age. they are grown now with no negative effects from sharing with other gender.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I shared with my younger brother until I was in my teens, and then my brother moved into his own room and my sister shared with me until I left home at 17.

I've got four boys and two girls. We have a four bedroomed house. Our boys all shared the largest room sleeping in two bunks (although they often end up sharing beds) and our girls share a room. Personally I think sharing is good for children and mine actually choose to be together as we have a spare room that could also be used as a bedroom but they don't want to be split up.
Raistlin - 6
Ashton - 4
Lacey-Rose - 3
Liberty-Hope - 1
Robin - 6 months
Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I shared a room on and off with my sisters. Did house different sleeping arrangments. But once I was 16 I got my own room. To I got married that I had to share again!!!

Charlotte
Old 11-17-2013, 12:20 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ah yes... doubling.

Our home is small (by today's standards), so doubling babies/kids up (one room) was standard practice in our house, particularly with our last two.

Two cribs to a room made things cramped, but the space savings I enjoyed trumped any/all concerns I had over doubling.

By the toddler stage, IMO, that's time enough to consider moving said child into the room of an older sibling (up to the age of 6-7)... and as far as opposite genders goes, I wouldn't give such so much as a second thought if I were looking at doubling.

Baby/toddler age/stage IMO makes for an ideal doubling-arrangement, just as older children (like-ages) makes for good doubling combinations. A crying baby in the room with a child age 8 (or older) doesn't make for a good combination, nor does rooming a baby with a teen.

When I was in my early teens, we took in a baby cousin for a few months, and lucky me... NOT... baby cousin roomed with me. Suddenly, I found myself playing second mom to a baby... waking at night to change him, calm him, and care for his every need.

Two children to a room IMO should be the cut-off, otherwise bedtime routines and rituals will be compromised, same holds true for sleep and waking times.

One rule I had (and lived by) whenever I doubled, was... like with like. i.e. Both in diapers, etc. As close to the same as you can is best.