Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Moms of 3 or More

Moms of 3 or More Do you have 3 or more children? Often times, parents with 3 or more kids face challenges that those of 1 or 2 just do not. This board was set up for those parents to ask others how they cope with issues such as making time for each child, who stays u

Old 11-23-2002, 10:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Twin Trouble.....

Hello there, My name is Stephanie and I am the proud mother of a set of 10 month old twins and a 7 yr old girl. I am lucky enough to have a boy and a girl. The problem I have now run into is how do you decorate a twin bedroom? We currently have 3 bedrooms and the twins are in room #3. (My husband is a carpenter so another room is in the plans, just not right now). I am having trouble deciding on what to do. The room is pretty big and my husband has given my free rein on what I want to do. He is even volunteering to build in anything I want as well. I am just drawing a blank on what to do. Any input would be helpful! Thanks!
Old 12-03-2002, 06:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

twin trouble

Hi there
I have a cousin who has twins a boy and girl and she has decorated it with a theme they both like, Disney friends. You could stencil a nice little Mickey and Minnie or Pooh and Tigger all
around the centre of the room after painting it a solid color that would be both girl and boy friendly like red or deep blue. If you sew you could sew all your comforters and accessories for a great price otherwise either look at Walmart or online at a bedding store where you can get really great prices. I use smart bargains alot for great bedding deals for everyone in my house. I have gotten sheets for my son and daughter as well as bedding for our bedroom. I would also look online at some of the paint stores like Benjamin Moore or even Sears for other ideas, if thesse are not what you are thinking of. My cousin has great kids and they love their room alot. there are no limits to what friends you can use for their little paradise that the kids will use for a long time. After you are done using the same room for them you can just put your son into it since you already have it boy friendly and just make a little girly room in the new room. You will not even have to change much of it so it will save you later on. I suggested the mickey and minnie theme so you can get characters that are usually available most of the time so you aren't stuck with a room for Toy Story say that may not be able to find stuff all the time. A classic character is easier as I have found since my son has Pooh and my daughter now has a cute girly room where she has still got many of her baby friends but not as many as before. We did Disney babies and I had trouble finding stuff after a while. Good luck in your project!
Old 12-03-2002, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks!!

We did just move and did have a noah's ark theme in the old house and I'm just in the mood to do something different. We do have some winnie the pooh and some disney blankets that are left over from my daughter. (I'm a horrible pack rat) My husband is just shaking his head at me because I want something different and unique but I don't know what it is!!Thanks for the information!
Old 12-03-2002, 07:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

unique ideas

You wanted unique. Well, my kids are a bit older now. The youngest is eight and we did her bedroom with her and the older ones helping. We painted the bottom half of the room green. Sort of rolled the roller in curves to make hills and filled in the bottom half. The top half was previously painted a light blue for sky. Them while the kids were in school I painted clouds, (mix a little purple or blue on the edge of the white in a tin pan so you can see the egdes of the fluffy circles), and a sun. My best friend was over and she is an artist so she did some fun "Dragon clouds". We made an afternoon of it. Then when the kids got home they did flowers all over the bottom. The youngest and I did a waterfall (actually she insisted it become three waterfalls), into a lake. I also put a large rainbow in the sky which matched her triplane kite which I hung from the ceiling. It turned out quite well.
The other bedroom idea we did years ago was to paint the walls light blue but paint the upper part of the walls navy and swipe parts of the navy down while it is wet so it appears that dusk is falling. Then we put finishing nails around the walls about two inches from the top and hung christmas lights as stars. We used two light strands and they gave off about as much light as two 60 watt light bulbs. -Too bright for a night light. A big round gold clock became a sun, (they were so young they didn't realize the sun couldn't be in the night sky). They loved it.
I am sold on using paint to put whatever you want on the walls. You'll paint anyway before you're tired of the design. And nothing beats the pride of showing off what you've done yourself.

Let me make it clear that I am not an artist. I asked around for how to do things, but really the best thing is to just do it. Paint can always be rolled over and started again. In fact some of my kids flowers became mysteriously smaller the next day and no one noticed - I just painted some of the background color over the enthusiastic excess.
I've seen giant trees painted in a kids bedroom for the backdrop for animals. (Could be Pooh's house.)
You could take their interests and paint one over each child's bed. (eg. a plane over the boys bed and a hot air balloon over the girl's.)
You could have an under the sea theme or a space theme. The family theme rooms in hotels have great ideas. Sorry if this is so long but you asked for unique ideas. I don't think an idea is unique if you paste something on the wall that has been duplicated a million times. I hope you try to paint yourself. I'm sure you will surprise yourself with how good it actually turns out.
(It's also a fraction of the price.)
Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow, congratulations.....

Having raised a few myself over time...I would just like to pass this on.......keep it simple but fun, painted walls are great because they can be repainted quickly....

Stay away from trendy baby furniture...they outgrow that really fast.... You can still decorate within a small budget with curtains and blankets, and some pictures and murals.....

..and keep in mind, that eventually the twins will want rooms of their own, so since that room is big......and your husband a carpenter, perhaps it's not a bad idea to look toward the future...to divide the room in time ...one for each. That is why I am saying keep it as simple as you can for now... *s*

Jeannie

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 12-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We don't have twins, but did this a couple years ago in my new dd's room before she was born-was especially fun for her older sis!

Painted walls and ceiling white then took primary colors, painted our own hands and feet and "stamped" them on the walls. This is great now to look back-even put the babies on there-you can sure see how they grow! Now she runs around the room pointing out who's hands and feet are where. You can be as creative as you want with patterns or just random. How about primary colors on one side of the room for the boy and pastels on the other for your daughter?

I did only go halfway up the wall and painted a 1" border line around the room to help make the room look more finished. A bit higher up on the wall we put 2 hand prints facing each other (kind of like parentheses) then a small picture frame inbetween. Saw that one in a design magazine once!
Old 12-07-2002, 04:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

twins room

Congratulations.
My twins just turned 6 (boy/girl) on Monday I also have a 10 year old soon to be 11 yr old daughter.
What we did when they were little(my husband to was a carpenter) was painted the wall and ceiling like the sky and clouds and customized a wall just for each baby. Boy side with his name and girls side with hers .Coat rack and book shelf for indivuial and each had seperated toy boxes. The curtians we did with pink and blue.
Then when they turned 2 hubby converted garage into another room but we out grew the house and just 2 yrs ago bought a much needed 2400 sq ft 5 bdrm 3 bath home.

Well good luck on your decision.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

One thing I'd have built-in is a floor to ceiling armoire! A large one! So handy!