FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Middle School (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/middle-school/)
-   -   Dealing with a Learning Disability (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/middle-school/25681-dealing-learning-disability.html)

Bernice 06-04-2009 10:54 AM

Dealing with a Learning Disability

Does anyone have a Junior High child with a learning disabilty? How do you help your child learn and get through his struggling?

DS is LD in comprehension. How do I help him, now that I know what the problem is? Sure finding out is nice, but I didn't get the feed back until the last week of school.

barbszy 06-04-2009 03:40 PM

I'd recommend having a conference with his teacher and/or a guidance counselor at the school. Explain that you want to be able to help him improve his skills.

Will he have an IEP or 504 plan for the next school year?

RobertaD 06-04-2009 06:10 PM

You do need to start now for getting an IEP or 504 in place for the next school year. Don't let the school try to put if off by saying well lets see how he does next year.

Talk to your doctor to get a referral for therapy, etc.

Roberta

Bernice 06-05-2009 04:59 PM

We do have an IEP in place for next year, but how do you learn as a parent to help? I'm ready to start it now, but we are on summer break.

It was a major struggle to have him tested and to get the results. I am a big advocate of getting help, but I don't know where to look. My research online and reading, led me to getting him tested.

VicRae 06-13-2009 07:44 AM

Bernice my son has an LD also. He is 17 going on 18. In our school district we have a person who is hired thru the district to help parents understand what Their childs IEP is for and maybe if your district has a person like that they could help you find the resources you are needing.

My son can take in the information needed for learning. But, has a hard time processing and organizing his thoughts to explain on paper his answers for the assignments. Some of this is due to not being taught the phonics needed to be able to read words and then understand the meanings. In elementary school they stuck him on making the sound of the letter " S " for 3 years in a row. When I found out I was so mad. I then took him to a speech therapist at our local hospital during the summer. During middle school he had an IEP for speech and Reading & English. Now, he has had a reading class for the last 2 years in high school and does ask for help when he needs it. He doesn't hesitate to ask for help in reading words at home any more either.

If you can get him to write in a journal during the summer it could help with his concentration for next year. Also, if your local library has a summer reading program where he could earn prizes and he's interested in participating. Get him envolved. If he's not interested don't force him to do it. It will put more stress on you and him both. My advise is to just keep checking with his teachers during the year and make sure he's keeping on top of his assignments.

Good Luck and bless you for wanting to be involved in his learning. A lot of times the hands on learning method helps too.

Vicky

Bernice 06-14-2009 11:00 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and information. DS doesn't like to read, but this might all be a part of it. He does like to hear stories out loud, but I will have to check into audio help with the school district when school starts back.

I appreciate your thoughts and anyone else. This is something very new to me and I like to be informed, not in the dark when something comes up.

VicRae 06-15-2009 06:39 AM

Bernice,
You shouldn't have to wait until school starts to see about his hearing. If the school had his hearing checked with his IEP. They should already have test results that you should've been made aware of. Call your main school office, they should have a record on file there. Or you could request a hearing test when you take your DS in for his school physical.

Hugs Vicky

happymomof4 06-15-2009 07:46 AM

Our parents with ld in our school district have a organization that they formed to help parents and students. This organization has helped alot for parents that are new to ld. You should ask the school if there is an organization in your school district. Remember ask alot questions. No question is a stupid question. Keep on top of things. Teachers see many kids with ld and sometimes kids get left out or forgotten. It is up to the parents to make sure there child is not the one pushed thru or forgotten in the system.

Bernice 06-15-2009 05:57 PM

Sorry, the audio help I was talking about was his school lessons. I have bought a journel book and DS has to write one page a day on different topics and then read it to me.

This week, I am not pushing grammer or punctuation, just getting something down on paper.

RobertaD 06-18-2009 03:23 PM

A journal is a good idea to keep their thoughts and wishes in.

The kindergarten class keeps a journal where a couple times a week they are to "write" in it their best time. Of course as kindergartener's they draw pictures in it with a couple word sentance. The teacher suggested that they keep it up over the summer.

Roberta