Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Middle School

Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

School District changing to have an "Intermediate School"

Okay, I am so fed up with my current school district. Hence the reason my youngest DD is going back to being homeschooled. Believe me if I would know it wouldn't completely ruin my middle DD I would homeschool her also.

Due to not enough room in our elementary schools, our school has incorporated what they call an "intermediate school". In the past our elementary schools were K-5 (elementary), 6-8 (middle school), and 9-12(high school).

This new intermediate school has changed to K-4(elementary), 5&6(intermediate), 7&8(middle), and 9-12(high school). The intermediate school is attached to the middle school. But, yet the intermediate school will run the elementary school schedule.

The elementary kids last year were leaving their homes at 8:00 to catch the bus. Now, they will have either run a whole new bus fleet for the intermediate kids, or have all the elementary kids, and the intermediate kids ride the same bus! This intermediate school is to be having the kids dropped off at 8:10. Before they were being dropped off at elementary at about 8:25. So, now what the elementary kids will have to be picked up at like 7:30? That to me is just way to early and way to long of a bus ride. And with the price of gas, not to mention more wages to pay, I really hope they would not factor in another bus run.

I really don't think the district really thought this through very carefully!

Supposedly the intermediate school will not be able to "mingle" in with the middle school kids. But, I highly doubt that there was a new lunch room added to the middle school.

And after last year's incident with apparently some type of unspeakable boy girl boy activity that happened in a classroom at the middle school, I would not want my child in that school at the age of 10!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen--- When my children rode the bus (my youngest is 16) they got on at 7:10-7:20 am. It was usually dark most mornings. They returned home anywhere from 4:00 -4:20 pm (time varied from year to year). I was never happy with those hours, but since we live in a very rural area bus routes are large and I was unable to take them to school myself. The kids probably adjusted to the time better than I did.
I know in the middle school my kids attended each class had their own time for lunch and the grades did not mix during this time. It may be possible that your school will have a schedule similar to help keep the younger children from mixing with the older ones.
I know it really hard to make changes when it comes to our kids, but sometimes the changes end up being not so bad once they are in place. We went to grade alike schools when children were in elementary school. It was way harder for me to get use to this idea then my kids---who adjusted wonderfully. In the long run I came around to seeing that it was in the best interest of my kids and liked how everything worked out.
I hope you can find a solution that works for your family or peace with the changes.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen my dd is 16 has always gotten up at 5:30 or 6 in order to be ready to catch the bus which usually run around 7:15 or 7:20,then she gets home around 4:30.At our school district the Intermedicate school isin its own building, the grades or 4 & 5 grades togahter.The middle school is 6 thru 8 grade.The high school is 9th thru 12th.Our high school runs around 900 kids or at least did last year as the whole school grows with more students each day.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Karen, my kids have always attended a K-8 school but I have worked in different schools of all levels. I would have to say that it is MUCH better to have grades 5 and 6 separated from the Middle School-age kids. Even if they are in separate "houses" in the same building, it will be better. Most likely they will have different lunch periods and gym periods so AT MOST they will pass each other coming and going. But in class, cafeteria, gym and library they will not mix.

Sixth graders will benefit from not being in that 7th-8th grade mindset. They get there fast enough anyway.

I know it is a big adjustment to make and they might not have worked out the details well but I think that in the long run this will definitely be better for the kids.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You know, I just do not get why they have to change things all the time. They used to make things work one way or another, then they had new and improved ways, and then they had to have newer and more improved. It just does not make things easy. I understand your concerns completely as it is a huge change and is being implemented NOW. I do agree with Barbzy in most respects. I would kill to have my daughter, 11 the week before school starts, not be in middle school with the 7 and 8s. They just do not belong there. She has been in multi age classes for a long time and they work well, but once you get into middle school, things change. I wish you peace with whatever decision you make for it will be the right one.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My Mom was telling me that the school district where I graduated is hurting so badly for students that it has combined the schools. It will now be k-6 and 7-12. WOW!

Here in NC, there just aren't enought schools to go around. My son will start middle school in two years when he is in 6th grade. Besides the problem of wondering if he is prepared to be around the older kids, we have to worry if they are going to be in a classroom or outside in a POD or trailer.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami
that is almost our school year grouping K-gr7 (5yo to 12yro) and gr8-gr12 (13yro to 17yro) never been any other way, we've never understood the whole middle school thing LOL but I guess it's what you grow up with.
No separate buses, if K kids need to travel the same bus as the 17yro so be it. Lunches in primary school is the same for each year as is high school lunch time 13 have lunch with all the others.
We also have plenty of what we call demountable class rooms that are shed like dotted around the school as they are needed for extra classes, both boys did a couple of year levels in these and even dh and I had them over 20 yrs ago, they are hot in summer and cold in winter but not much could be done about it.
No air con or heaters either unless you are in a private school.

Last edited by Bilby; 07-11-2008 at 03:18 PM.