Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Middle School

Old 09-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think it is wonderful that you are enriching your children's lives with great books. I agree that Anne of Green Gables is one of the best but be sure to read the whole series of 'Anne' books, also the other series ] by L.M. Montgomery[Pat, Emily, Jane, etc.]. If your children are not ready for longer books, you might check The Book of Virtues, William Bennett's compilation of good literature. It has everything from Nursery Rhymes to passages from the Bible, Shakespeare, Aristotle, to folk tales from around the world.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I also recommend a book called "the Misfits" perfect for 6th and 7th graders.. about bullying and tolerance.. It sparked a lot of great discussions when my kids read it...

Deb mentioned so many of my favorite classics I'd like to add "The Lottery Rose" "DIcey's Song", "Bridge to Terabithia", "Mrs. Frisbe and the Rats of NIMH", "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry", "All-of-a-Kind-Family" (might be too young), "Are You there God? It's Me, Margaret", "The Wind in the Willows", "Heidi", "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", "The Yearling", "Jacob I Have Loved", The Red BAdge of Courage", "Stowaway", and... That's about all I can think of now...
Old 09-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Val, I'm right there with you on "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." It's wonderful for girls 12 and up.

Another good one for kids who are into history is "My Brother Sam is Dead."

Don't forget C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia."
Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I loved "The Cay" & "Timothy of the Cay" by Theodore Taylor. And many of those listed by others. If you get a chance, could you guys mention if this would be appropriate for younger kids with a higher reading level. My ds just began 3rd grade & tested at a reading level of 4.5 to 7.8 ! I'm concerned that what he has to choose from will be too "heavy" of even not appropriate issues like boy/girl stuff etc. Like the "Little House" series, yes, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" not really (because, if I rememeber correctly, when the girl sold her scrap metal she got more money than her brother because the buyer liked the girls & I think would even pinch her bottom.) I hope I am making sense.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

MKS, yes you are making sense. I think "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a wonderful book but I would not recommend it to someone younger than 8th grade.

Unfortunately much of what is written these days that is on a middle-school reading level is "rated PG-13" so you have to be careful if you have a younger reader with high ability. In that case I would definitely steer toward classics--40 years old or more.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Two of my favorite books when I was younger were My Side of the Mountain and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. My DD's both really enjoyed the Shadow Children series - Among the Hidden, Among the Shadows, etc. Lois Lowry has written quite a few good ones. I can't remember the names of any.

Kathy
Old 09-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Exactly, he was right next to me when I was writing boy/girl stuff, but what I really meant was sex. Some elude to it. I like to read junior fiction even now, but I can't read everything & I'm probably a little more concerned (over protective) than most parents. He is a smart kid & good reader, but when he took the test he said it was hard & he guessed a lot, lol. Last year his top reading level was 6.1. And I do plan on talking with his teacher & inlisting her help. Anyway, sorry to get a little off topic. Which reminds me 2 more great books are Rascal and The Other Side of The Mountain. I don't remember the authors. One book(s?) suggested to me, but I have not found is something about the adventures of Oliver Optical. It is supposed to be old.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ooops. I think it is My Side of the Mountain. I think the Other Side of the Mountain is a Sydney Sheldon book.
Also, books by Margaret Peterson Haddix and a book called The Giver.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A Time of Angels, about a huge flu epedemic. Westing Game, a fun mystery & the original Rudyard Kipling stories.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The Tale of Desperaux