Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-21-2002, 06:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Debbie, I didn't realize the drugs were that much cheaper in Canada than here. I went to the Paxil CR site today and saw that you can order them (probably from Canada!) and don't even have to have a prescription!!! WOW!!

Sorry to hear about your move!! Hope it all works out ok. Like you said, you didn't really need that right now!!! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that everything works out ok. Kathy
Old 08-21-2002, 08:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have taken Zoloft in the past. It is a good medication BUT it has some side effects that some people can't tolerate. The side effect that I suffered from was I had no control over my bowels. It was very embarrassing to me. This side effect occurred on a daily basis for aproximately 6 months. I was so embarressed for the first 2-3 months that I said nothing to my doctor. During the 6 months that I took Zoloft, I lost a lot of weight-approx. 25 pounds. When I told my doctor about this side effect he immediately switched me to Paxil.

I have been taking Paxil now for over a year and haven't had one problem with any side effects. Talk to your doctor about taking Paxil instead of Zoloft. I think you will be more happier and pleased with the results.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Andrea

P.S. As with some medications there is always the trouble with weight gain (another side effect) but with me it done the opposite. Currently, I have lost 45 lbs. in 15 months. All I done to loose this weight was watch my food intake daily. I eat ONLY when I'm hungry and until I start to feel full.

Please let me know your outcome with this.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers Reading...........UGH! I can't stand the thought of having to pack up and move. Things will work out.

Andrea, thanks for the side effect update. I have only been taking Zoloft for 10 days and the only thing I have noticed so far is I am tired earlier than I used to be. One of the side effects the Dr pointed out, she said I'd sleep better. I guess I need to stick it out for a couple/few months and see what happens. She (Dr) offered Prozack but that was kind of scary having heard all the stories where the mom's go psycho and kill their families. I said NO! right away for that one. So I'll seee how this works out.

Thanks for the imput.......................Best wishes to all of you
Old 08-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lawnangel, Zoloft can take a few weeks to make a difference. Every person is different. Usually a Doctor starts you out on a small dose and increases it slowly....what mg. do you take? Most side effects are mild but all side effects have to be listed even if only ONE person had that side effect. It would be better for you to call your Dr., talk to his nurse and she can relay your ???questions to him.. this is a Drs. job and don't feel like you are bothering him...you are his patient, you should have regular check-in's with your Doctor so he can monitor you.

I hope you are feeling like your old self soon! Good Luck!

janet
Old 08-22-2002, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Debbie, I know exactly what you mean about moving!!! The last time we moved was 4 years ago and I told my DH we had made our last move!!! I told him our next one would be the cemetary!!!

Hang in there with Zoloft!!! As mentioned earlier, it can take up to 6 weeks to see results. Fatigue is common with almost all of the antidepressants but it usually goes away after your body is adjusted to it.

Had a hard day today. Had to take some things to my DD in college so spent 6 hours travelling!! Even though I didn't have to do any of the driving, it was a long day!! Hope everyone has a good weekend!! Kathy
Old 08-22-2002, 10:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Zoloft question

lawnangel,

You're very welcome. Yes you need to stick to Zoloft for a few more months to see if you experiece any of the side effects, and if you do tell your doctor about them. I hope you have better results than I did. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've been on Zoloft since February. It has made a lot of difference in my daily interactions with my husband and ADHD daughter. Just remember it's not a cure all, and some days you may still feel blue, but as long as you tell yourself "It's just an off day", things usually look better in the morning. I've had no side affects. In fact, I've had less migraine's since taking it, not from the medicine, but because I'm not so stressed (one trigger), and because when my head does start to hurt, I don't automatically assume it's going to be a migraine, so I don't get as worked up and MAKE it a migraine.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Zoloft

Hi Lawnangel!

I took Zoloft only for a week (for Fibromyalgia). It gave me insomnia. And I had terrible jitters like an earthquake was occuring!). I know that's not a long time to give it a try but I just couldn't handle those side effects!! I'm sure it works for some people. I've also had 2 months experience a couple years ago on Paxil. It did seem to help but constipated me terribly. You really have to watch for side effects. I'm a RN so I tend to remember to think of those (side effects) when taking a new med. So instead of Zoloft (and a full bottle of it in my medicine cabinet), my Dr. prescribed Celexa. I love it! NO side effects at all for me. When I was placed on it in March it was not for depression but for my newly diagnosed Fibromyalgia. It also hleps to relax your muscles, so that's why I was put on it. So I've been on it now for 5 months. I'm glad I'm on it because since starting it my husband has loss his job, his mother called asking for money, and my Mom just had breast cancer surgery this week for the most aggressive type. I'm not sure I would have been the rock that I've been if not on the Celexa, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Just a little stressful around here!! Anyway see what works for you...there are many options out there. Life is good and you shouldn't have to miss a day of it!!! Take care, Lori
Old 08-23-2002, 02:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Ladies,

Thanks again for sharing your personal experiences. It really helps to get it out.

Janet, I started out taking 25 mgs for a week and now on day 4 of 50 mgs.

Maybe it's psychological but I think something is working slowly but surely. Today we signed the contract for the condo, to rent, and normally I wouldn't have been able to hold back the tears, (it's small, expensive etc., etc.) but I did ok. I was bummed about it but thats as far as my emotions went. I handled it pretty good.

Kathy, very funny about the move to the cemetary You have been through an awful lot (like we all have) but you are doing very good. We are all proud of you, and I'm glad you have this forum to express your self and share your daily life happenings. It makes you feel better when you can "talk" to someone, just getting it off your chest..........I hope you are doing good.

Lori, Zoloft just didin't agree with you. But I'm glad you found something that works. Keep up the good spirits!!

I just always have to thank God for what he has given me. I don't want Him to think I am taking things for granted.......

Best wishes all. ANd, again, THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh yeah,
Huck,

I have only had a very small headache since taking Zoloft and it used to be when I am ovulating I'd have worse cramps than when I was having my . but this month I whizzed right past ovulation with no pain!!

Less stress = less headaches!