Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Sheila,

Re: Insurance...

We don't have ins because we just can't afford it but we make too much for medical or other state funded ins. There are programs, here in CA, where you can get ins for the family at a reduced rate, very cheap really but there are so many pro's and con's and papers to fill out and waiting periods and "If" you qualify and different Dr's, not the ones you want and blah, blah, blah. What a headache. ANd there are programs, I jsut found out, for women 40 and over for check ups and such. I'll be 40 soon so my Dr. mentioned it. I hadn't had a pap in over 4 years and I finally went and it cost me almost $200! THEN!!! She didn't even get enough of a sample for a good reading and they wanted ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! to pay for a repeat!!!!!! Obviously that pissed me off but I'm getting off the subject. There are programs out there, you just have to find someone in VA who knows, maybe even your Dr or health department. But, ha, do as I say and not as I do. I don't have ins either

Best wishes.............and good luck...........
Old 09-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sheila, can you get your medicine from your doctor in samples? If he/she doesn't have samples of Depakote, could he/she give you samples of another medication that might do as good?

And what some people are doing is ordering their meds from Canada because they are so much cheaper. Have you checked that out yet?

Do check into your state's programs. You might qualify and even if you don't, there may be something else that they can tell you about that you might qualify for.

Your meds are really important and I would think your doctor office would help you in any way they could. Check into it!!!
Kathy
Old 09-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!!!! My sister called after her ultrasound of her breast and there was NO mass!!!! I am elated and at the same time afraid that someone wasn't doing their job right or just missed it!!!! It is just too good to be true!!!! My sister was so excited!!! She called and my DH answered the phone and all she yelled was "I'm ok"!!!! She must be so relieved!!!!!

I think I wrote in earlier that her neurologist said she does have epilepsy. I told her that is good news and she questioned me as to how that could be good news!! I told her it is good news because now at least we know why she had the grand mal seizure and now she can take medication for it and be able to drive and go back to work!!! It has been since July 6th that she has not been able to drive or work!! So she agreed that it was indeed good news!!

I appreciate so very much all of you praying for her!!!!! You just will never know how much that means to me!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! Kathy
Old 09-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This came to me today in an e-mail!!! At my last appt., my dr. had mentioned this to me but said it wasn't available yet but that it sounded to be very encouraging and he said I could try it if I wanted to when it became available. I think it sounds pretty good!!! Here it is:

Americans will soon have a new player in the $12 billion antidepressant market. Called Lexapro, the mood booster is a fine-tuned version of the drug Celexa and is the latest in the class of so-called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). What's so great about Lexapro? Manufacturers claim that the drug will enhance the brain's feel-good chemicals while limiting the side effects of SSRIs. Lexapro is also supposed to do the job
using smaller doses than its popular cousin. Still, many experts see only a marginal breakthrough. Up to half of the patients who try such antidepressants fail to realize a benefit, and others forgo the drugs because of unsavory side effects such as anxiety, insomnia or reduced sexual drive. On the plus side, Lexapro is slated to cost approximately about 5% to 10% less than the pricey Celexa.
Source: "Choosing an Antidepressant Gets Tougher" [
http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/condi...hoices.ap/inde

x.html ], CNN, August 27, 2002

What do you all think? Kathy
Old 09-03-2002, 10:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Kathy...........

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know the power of prayer works. Thank God your sister is AOK!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2002, 11:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi everyone, I've been off the computer for a few days and missed a lot.......so to catch up.

First let me say I am so happy your sister is going to be O.K. reading 51. The test results are great news. You sound as close to your sister as I am to mine, she is my best friend. Also going back quite a few post I want to tell you I love the idea of the 3x5 by the phone. I think I am going to try that for a while and see if it helps me because I still have the dream my parents are going to magically change and turn into normal people. I am so sorry about the loss of your son. You have had so many losses in your life I can see where the trust and abandonement issues come from. I can read the compassion for others in your posts and I think you will achieve that closeness you seek from your husband, daughter and others as you continue your counseling. It sounds like you are working really hard to get there and that is the first step in overcoming past hurts.

lawnangel "mothers little helper" great song---Rolling Stones. Made me laugh when I read that, thanks for the laugh. Everyone is right though, you should not look at the meds as mind altering drugs. Mind altering drugs make you forget everything and not care about anything like your kids and family and you do care or you would never have started this link asking about the meds and trying to feel better. And like everyone has said if the Zoloft does not make you feel better in about 6 weeks there are so many other ones out there to try. Try looking at the meds as just pills that help you be the best mom, wife and person you can be. You may be one of the lucky ones and only need the pills for a short time to get over the hump of having to move and financial hardships. Didn't you say earlier in this thread that your hubby didn't always listen and understand or am I getting you mixed up with someone else? That with 3 young children can be hard in itself because it can leave you feeling alone a lot. With this great thread you started you can always come here and we will listen.

writes4fun what can I say but hey you are great. "To many brain cells" can't wait to tell hubby that one. "Dear I discovered my problem, I have way to many brain cells and I can't control them all that is why I need my meds". I love it. I really like thinking I may have to many brain cells (a bigger brain, you think) that is one great way to look at our depression.

Lifestar as usual you are so clear with your emotions and expressions. You really speak to my heart with your words.

Valerie I hope you can come to a place that you can accept and deal with what is going on with your son. It can be so hard when our kids choose a path in life that we would not have choosen for them and we see them struggling.

sugar you sound like one of those GREAT teachers out there that truely care about your students and being the best teacher you can be. More schools in this country need teachers like you. Having to take a pill is not so bad, you could call it "Teachers little helper".

Sorry this is so long but all of your stories have really touched me and I wanted to try and respond to some of them. I think all of you are so honest and open about your feelings, hurts and fears and that puts you miles ahead of most people that just lock themselves up to the rest of the world. That ladies is what makes you real, makes you human and in the end will make you incredibly strong.

mouse
Old 09-04-2002, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Mouse, nice catch up........

Yes that is my husband who thinks I shouldn't be stressed or anything else because I stay at home and "do nothing all day". Yes, sometimes I feel like taking the kids and going back home. But then I thank God everyday for the life I do have. I am very lucky to be able to stay at thome with the kids and only work part time occasionally. Mostly because he argues with me about money if I ask for a few $$. The kids (2 of 3) go back to school today. I will be busy packing and un packing for a while so that will keep me busy. Yes, I will stay on Zoloft for at least 6 weeks. I have a hard time remembering if I took them or not (I take them at night) so I need to gt one of those little boxes with the days on them. Not quite 40 and I can't remember that? Sure sign I'll have Alzhimers .

So Mouse (thats cute, my mother has the same nickname from my uncle) you didn't let us know how things are going with you but thatnks for all the encouragement and kind words. You are very thoughtful.

Best wishes to all.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Aw Lawnangel, that was so cute!!! Thanks!!! And you are right....God does have the power!!!!

Isn't that just a typical man who thinks because you stay home all day with the kids that you don't work!!! Trading a day with him might change his mind!!! I have the same problems about remembering if I already took Excedrin or not!! I take it so much that I can't remember from time to time if I already took it!!! For my morning meds, I have a little plastic cup (like the kind you put ketchup in at the fast food places) and I put all my morning meds in there. That way I can easily tell which ones haven't been taken yet. I do the same with my evening ones. It works pretty good for me.

Mouse, it is good to hear from you again!!! I'm glad you liked the idea of the 3 x 5 card!! It worked so good for me that I don't even need to keep it there anymore!!! Thanks for your kind words about my son. My sister and I are real close now but it hasn't always been that way. But I am sure glad it is now!!! She and I used to be so very different. Still are in some ways but not as many.

Well shoot, I have to go now for my counseling appt. I'll be back later this afternoon!!! Everyone have a great day!!!
Kathy
Old 09-04-2002, 11:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sugarspicenpuppytails--

Thank you for your reply. I hope I have been of some help to you.

I will tell you that my depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. I asked my psychotherapist about this. She said that stress can wear down your level of serotonin in the brain. So your body can only take so much before the quantities of serotonin wear thin. The results are the signs of depression. It is something that needs medical supervision as well as psychotherapy, if possible. Again, I've been very fortunate to have such a good psychotherapist especially in the wake of losing my wonderful pastor who was always there to take me in when things got to be too much.

I think this website is fantastic. It's great to know others also experience the same problem and that there is help out there.

Take care.

Valerie M.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm back!! (Just like a nightmare!!! LOL)

Mouse, thanks for all the nice things you said!!! They mean a lot to me!!!

My counseling appt. went good!! I hadn't seen her for 6 weeks because of commitments on her part so it was very good to see her again!! She was very impressed that I had made myself a "to do" list to help me get unstressed. And she was very glad that I chose to do only 2 things off it each day instead of my previous "have to get it all done in one day"!!! She said that was a big improvement on my part!! I told her it only took her 4 years to get it through my thick skull!!!! LOL

Tomorrow I am going to meet a friend for lunch who I used to work with. That will be fun!!!

Talk to you all later!! Kathy