Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Using Low Dose Amitriptyline for neropathy disorders

My doctor has put my on a very low dose...10mg of amitriptyline to help with neuropathy disorders. I am to take it at night and hopefully it will help relieve some of the pain. I have adult curvature of the spine and my lower back has really pushed inwards casing more pressure on my vertabrae around my shoulder blades. It is causing a nerve to get pinched, he thinks. It feels like a stitch you get while running only under my breast and I can not get a full breath of air in and it is painful.....it will eventually "pop" as I call it casing extreme pain where I will break out in a sweat and almost pass out from the pain....thnak goodness it is not a daily thing. We are hoping the med will help eliminate this problem. Anyone else used this meds for this type of problem???? I know it is usally used for depression in a larger dose.

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

DebK, how long have you been taking the amitriptyline? It is a tricyclic, which can cause some unwanted side-effects such as delirium. If they start giving you any unwanted side-effects, be sure to ask your doctor about an antidepressant that is either an SSRI, like Prozac or Cymbalta. He or she would know which is best.

One thing I want to caution you about though no matter what antidepressant you take. Be sure to exercise as much as possible because one side-effect they all have is weight gain. If you know this upfront, you can watch what you eat and increase your exercise routine.

Good luck! I have heard great things in pain management with these drugs.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow that does sound painful.I hope this drug can give you some pain relief and debra did give you some good advice to you too.

Mish
Old 12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DeBora I started last night as I wanted to make sure I was home with nothing planned incase I did not tolerate it well. I slept well last night but am still tired today. The one thing I have noticed is nausea and dry mouth.......they were both on the list of side effects. I am going to try again tonight and see how I feel...they never mentioned any other anti depression meds for pain management. I am already on the lowest dose so if feeling like a vegetable all day is a side effect it won't be for me.
Thanks for the info on weight gain is that even on a small dose too????

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Unfortunately, weight gain is a side-effect for any dosage. I thought I would mention it as at our age, weight is a concern. I figure if you know about it, you can adjust your caloric intake and exercise levels. If you still feel bad after a couple of weeks, call your doctor. He can give you some less sedating meds. But, it may take your body awhile to adjust to this med, so don't give up yet. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Debbie , that is what the doctor gave me for nerve pain. I started out on 25mg ,then 50 mg,and about a week ago it was put up again to 75 mg, also take it at night. Told me it might take about 3 weeks before it does anything. I find that for me it takes about 10 days to kick in. It has helped alot for the neck and head pain. Hoping that this increase will make me less sensitive to air conditioners or cool air. That's the only thing stopping me from working as much as I want to. Hope it helps you. It has helped me when nothing else was. It's only 4 dollars at Walmart which is a lot cheaper than some other med.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks Candy for letting me know that it has worked for you.....I met anouther gentleman here who also takes it for extreme nerve pain in his face. You both are on a much higher dose than I have been placed on. I took it again lst night and I was not as bad today for tiredness. The nausea also was not as bad. I am hopeful that after the week I will not have the tiredness and my body will adjust to taking it. I don't mind side effects but being tired all day is not one I can cope with especially with my job and 3 children. I am only taking 10mg the lowest dose possible. I hope it can help me with the pain.

Hugs Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

DebK, keep us posted on your progress. I am interested to know how this particular drug helps with pain in comparison to the others.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Deb, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling badly.. (here's a hug (()) )

Though I am wondering why your doctor suggested this drug for you.. I know Elavil (brand name) is a very old drug. It's been in use for more than seventy years.. Some practitioners still perscribe it for certain types of migraines and as an antipsychotic, but as DeBora mentioned, it can have terrible side effects INCLUDING neuropathic pain(!!!!??)

There are newer drugs to treat the same problems... Many of these drugs that have been used for years to treat epilepsy and are now being perscribed to prevent migraines, control mood swings and treat neuropathic pain.

I took a combination of Welbutrin, Neurotin and Celebrex for my pain. (The neurontin was the drug that saved my life!) I stopped the Celebrex because I have a clotting disorder, and didn't want to take the chance.. so I now take Naproxyn Sodium ( Aleve) instead.. It soesn't work quite as well.. but I'll still give it an "A".

Neurontin and Welbutrin do NOT have the weight gain, dry mouth, fatigue and other psychogenic side effects as tricyclic antidepressents (like amitriptyline) do...l.

Get a second opinion... You have nothing to loose.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I found some information that I think is easy to read. I wanted some factual informatoin that anyone could understand that would be helpful. It is by the American Pain Foundation.