Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Looking for health insurance

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good health insurance plan that our sons can apply for? They are all out of school now and will soon be falling off our plan.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

insurance

I use Carefirst Blue Cross, but think that you have to be in certain states around here. I am in Maryland. Its cheap. I pay $160/month for me and my son. The website is www.carefirst.com
Tammy
Old 07-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Head Moderator

Lightbulb

First thing I would tell them is to get it for themselves before they lapse on yours! It will make a difference on them getting it. It is easier if you are insured to get others than not being insured. That way they have at least the continuous coverage thing going for them that way.

I've been shopping around for some myself as mine is being done away with by the company. If they are healthy and young that is a big plus for them. With all the ones I've been checking into none is going to be cheap, but young will make a slight difference for them also.

Check with a State Farm insurance office, they offer Assurant which used to be called Fortis. It has been the most reasonable monthly price I have found over all the usuals, Blue Cross, Humana, United Helath Care ,etc.

Good luck to them and MOM (or DAD), PUSH them into getting on it right away!

Last edited by cat lover; 06-02-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

health insurance

Julie,
I know here in Texas, there are temporary plans they can get. They go into effect the day after the postmark, and are very reasonable in price. They would be good for while they are getting approved with a long term plan. Will they be working full time? This type plan you can carry up to 18 months. So that way if they are waiting for a "waiting period" at their job, they would have coverage for things like car accident injuries, or a ruptured appendix etc. It is not meant for wellness visits. Contact an independent agent and they should be able to help. If you have any questions, just let me know!
Thanks!
Nancy
Old 07-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Health Insurance

Here in NC, Blue Cross Blue Shield has private policy's that are much cheaper than even some employers can offer for your dependants to be added on to your insurance. If they are going to college, check to see what kind of insurance policys the college offers and they can usually use campus clinics for cheaper care, medicines etc...
Old 12-17-2005, 09:47 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hello everyone! Does anyone need any help figuring out the new Medicare Part D prescription Drug Plans? Through my job (case manager for the mentally retarded) I have become a near expert in the subject! If anyone needs help just let me know either on here or PM me.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face Insurance help

Hi, Call your state Dept. of Insurance and ask them what companies are licensed in your state to sell health insurance or call your local Chamber Of Commerce and ask them for state licensed agents in your local area. Please remember to always make sure you are dealing with a licensed agent and company for the state you live it. There are so many health/saving discount plans on the market that rip people off by telling consumers they are buying health insurance and these products are NOT health insurance no matter what a salesperson tells you. Also ask your Dept. of Insurance if there are any state plans your sons may be eligible for if they do not have alot of income at this time since they are just getting out of school. Health care costs can be devastating and a good major medical plan for a healthy young adult is reasonable enough to protect them from debt that they may incur if they get sick or injured if they do not have health insurance. Best of luck! Many plans do cover children up to the age of 23 IF they are full time students so if they are getting out of high school and going to college you may be able to keep them on your plan. Best of luck!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face For Cat Lover

I am a state licensed health and life agent and I am familiar with some of the plans you've mentioned in your post. Costs can vary for premiums but so does coverage. Please be very careful to read the coverage very carefully. Make sure the deductible is per year and not per occurance, and compare deductibles and co-insurance. Sometimes they will have a deductible amount but also co insurance such as 80/20 you wil also be responsible to pay out of pocket. Find out what your total out of pocket expense would be or stop/loss amount. Make sure the network that these companies use have the doctors and hospitals that you want to use. Ask what the name of the network is and then call your doctor's and hospital's and ask do they accept it. The carrier is the name of the insurance company and the network name is used for doctor's and hospital's. Look at the exclusions and limitations. I know one major company that does not cover chemo in it's middle plan. Think the worse and make sure it would be covered because if it's not it can wipe out your finances if you were to ever get a serious illness that required treatment such as chemo. Look for other fees that may be charged to you such as additional fees per day if you are in the hospital or if you need surgery or added co-insurance per item. Compare life time caps and make sure it is PER person and not for all people covered. I would not go below 3 million a lifetime and 5 million is better per person. Be careful that there is not a yearly cap of a dollar amount a company will pay and that the amount is for the lifetime. A good agent in your state can explain these and other items to you but alot of people buy over the internet and no one explains these things to the consumer. Always compare the policy's first and then the premiums and take your time to compare before you purchase because once someone does have medical issues it is difficult to switch plans due to strict underwriting guidelines all insurance companies have today on pre-existing conditions. If a policy offers co-pays on doctors, drugs, etc. see if there are limits on them such as they may limit you to 2 doctor visits a year or you have to reach another deductible before the company pays for drugs. With so many plans and options available today it is confusing to the consumer and you want to be sure there are no surprises when you do need the coverage! Worst case scenario is to get a hospital bill and find out that your plan does not cover what you thought it did.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Insurancelady, thanks so much for sharing your expertise with our members!
Welcome to Family Corner!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Happy face Insurance for College Age Children

Have your son/daughter check with his college for a low-cost insurance. Also most 4 year colleges have on-site health clinics (staffed by local doctors- that charge minimal fees for services and medications which is usually cheaper than co-pays on insurance). A great benefit to being a student.

Deidra