Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-08-2002, 08:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question ISO: Beef Jerky Recipes

My Dh bought me a dehydrator for Christmas and I would love to make some Beef Jerky. Does anyone have any tried and true recipes and/or tips for me?
Old 02-26-2002, 03:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here is one that someone gave me, I have not tried it.

a large lean London Broil
2/3 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup of Soy sauce
2/3 cup of Teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder

TIPS: Try to buy your London Broil when it goes on sale. Two batches are better than one. If you like pepper try using the larger grate pepper. Spicy? try adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of Tabasco and or crushed red pepper.

Trim as much fat off your London Broil as you can, then cut it into thin strips. The thicker the strips the chewier the jerky. I rcommend 1" wide by no more than 1/4" thick. You can have the butcher cut it for you at no extra charge, but sometimes they don't trim the fat. I personally like to cut it myself because my kids like chewy and my wife likes the thin pieces.

Mix all the ingredients (except the meat) into a gallon size zip-lock bag. The onion and garlic powders will be the hardest to dissolve. If you don't like Teriyaki sauce, replace with 1/3 cup more of both Worcestershire and Soy sauce.

Now place all of your strips of meat into the marinade push all of the air out of the zip-lock (this will help submerge all of the meat into the mix) and seal the bag. Place it in the fridge to marinate overnight. If you are fortunate to have a double oven I strongly suggest you make two batches. Why? Because it will all be gone in a couple of hours if you don't.

After you have marinated the mix for at least 8 hours place 3 or 4 paper towels on a plate and place the meat on it. Let the meat drain while you prepare the oven. Place foil on the lower rack to catch the drips and clean the top rack because it is your cooking surface.

Stretch the meat strips out across the top rack, it is alright if they touch each other as long as they're not on top of one another. Put as many on the rack as possible. Crack the oven door open to allow drying process. Set oven to its lowest heat setting an allow meat to dry from 2-1/2 to 5 hours depending on the thickness of the slices. After drying for the first 2-1/2 hours remove the thin pieces and rotate the entire rack front to back. Be careful not to over dry the rest of the meat by checking and removing pieces as they get done.

Now don't get carried away and eat the entire batch as fast as you can because it will rehydrate in your stomach and make you very full. Enjoy this recipe over and over again. Makes great gift trays for the holidays.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks Shawn! I tried a recipe over the weekend that I found on the web and it was very blah! This one looks like it may have more flavor.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Let me know how it turns out, if you do try it.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Jerky

I have been making vennison jerky I lucked out last Spring at Walmart and found a "Jerky Works", on sale for $2.50 It was a close out deal, they only had 2 or 3 left. Wish I would have bought them all! Anyways, it came with a 'gun', similiar to a calking gun. You load the tube with ground meat and squeeze it out. It has three tips: 1 flat for strips and & 1 large/1 small round for sticks. It also came with 5 seasoning packets and 5 packets of 'cure', (which sure looks like regular old salt to me!!). The seasonings were worth the $2.50, alone! There was Cajun, Pepperoni, & Beef Jerky, (whatever that means!) flavorings.

The product is from NESCO/American Harvest, who also makes dehydrators. Their phone number 82 1-800-288-4545, or www.nesco.com. I got this info from the paperwork in the box I bought, which by the way, there's an order form to purchase @ $19.95. YES!!! I love my $2.50 great deal!

If you're interested, I can copy the ingredients off of the spice packets I have left. Of course, there won't be any amounts though! This stuff is too expensive to experiment with, in my opinion! Let alone the time and work involved!

Good Luck!
Miste
Old 03-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have a Nesco American Harvest dehydrator and it came with a few spices. I have not tried them yet. I don't have the jerky works though.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I've got the pepperoni flavor going now. I'll let you know how it is. The Cajun was excellent At least what little I got out of! My husband and his co-worker ate all but 2 or 3 strips of it for lunch in one sitting! I think you'd like the 'gun' thing. You could just use lean ground beef. So much easier than slicing. Although it was a pain with the venison. I had to clean it really well, getting all the sinew, or whatever you call that white stringy stuff that encases the muscles, out of it and then grind it.

I'm using this as my 'demonstration' speech in a public speaking class. Hope I don't gross out any of the silly young girls in my class!
Old 04-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My DH makes jerky all the time.....last batch included fish jerky. He loves it. I love the beef...the fish had an interesting after-taste that wasn't my favorite. Some we eat, some we save for hard times. lol

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~