Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

ISO: easy recipes for a NON-cook

I need help! I will be starting a new job working nights and my fiance with be forced to make dinner for himself and our 2-year-old. The problem is that he can't cook. He just doesn't know how to do a whole lot. His Mom always cooked dinner for him and I've cooked dinner since we've lived together. I need any recipes that are easy, don't use a ton of ingredients, and taste good (duh! ).
Old 08-17-2002, 01:40 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Well there's always spagetti and pot roast. You might also try cooking meals once a month and freezing them. That way all he has to do it take it out of the freezer and warm it up. Good luck!

MrsRose

Old 08-17-2002, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My friend it may not be as hard as it seams...... I worked 2nd shift for 3 years (2pm-11pm) I fixed crock pot meals. All he had to do was come home and serve it up. I also taught him how to make boxed dinners. Tuna and hamburger helpers. I didn't trust him with chicken. I didn't have any complains for him....which surprizes me considering he is older and was raised in a family were the womens place was in the kitchen.

I now work the 3rd shift. 10pm- 7am I come home from work and crash then I am up at three at have supper on the table by 5:30.

There are lots of sites that offer crock pot meals that are down-right delicious. jenni
Old 08-17-2002, 08:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

WEll, you might try once a month cooking (there are websites on the web w/ ideas). Also, you might go to www.pamperedchef.com and look in the recipe search. There are many of the rings and braids that are very simple!! Once you learn to make one, you can make them w/ any fillings. Spaghetti is always good (my hubby cooks that) - of course it's awful to clean up the kids (I have 3). Meatloaf might not be too bad. If you want some easy recipes, email me [email protected] and I'll look in my files.

Good luck with your new job and new cook!!!

Teri
Old 08-17-2002, 08:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello, well my situation is reversed..I have only been cooking for about a year....My mom never really taught me how. But when I lived with my mother in law i watched her...but....i was to nervous to do it myself. My hubby bought me all these cookbooks. and now i have recipies all over the kitchen. The only thing that my hubby didnt teach me was baking(he burns the premade cookie dough) But his pies are awesome. Anyways I can look in my recipies also if you would like to email me too. I bet beween everybody he wont know what to cook after he has looked at them all([email protected]) Good Luck on your new job and Tell yuour hubby good luck too

Leanne
Old 08-17-2002, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

hello lissa,just read your post.and a never fail way is to use a crock pot.you can not burn anything in it.and most of the reciepes for it are easy and simple.a really good site for reciepes for your crock pot is
www.lazygourmets.com
i use it all the time.i hope this helps you.

emmalee
Old 08-17-2002, 12:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

the site allrecipes.com has a quick and easy section.....this site has been my new friend....... plus i get a recipie of the day e-mailed to me.....but check out the easy section hope this helps..........
Old 08-17-2002, 02:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Recipes for the non-cook

Hello ! the crockpot is soooooo great when you have crazy hours.Perhaps you can get it started before you leave or he can set it up himself in the a.m. Hope you have a crockpot. Here are a couple web sites for you to check out.
www.about.com.......just put in crockpot recipes and you'll be amazed what pops up.
http:www.justcrockpotrecipes.com
www.recipezaar.com
http://allrecipes.com.....again, put in the words crockpot or just check out the entire site.
Also, how about making a large pot of spaghetti sauce on your day off? You can always freeze it for future use. Put in in smaller containers after you have finished cooking it and it has cooled, of course.
No fear, he'll manage. You'll be shocked at how much he can all of a sudden do!!
Old 08-18-2002, 05:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I used to do this all the time. I would cook a few different things and put them into tv dinner trays and freeze them. When needed all I would have to do is take them out of the freezer and into the microwave. This way I would make sure there were a balance of meat, potato, vegetable.
Casseroles work well for leftovers also.
There are so many items out there where you can just add the ingredients on the package and make a full meal such as hamburger helper, macaroni and cheese and the homestyles that include everything. Just read the instructions. Anyone can do it. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2002, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks everybody! I think the crockpot and frezzing meals will be the best bet. He'll have to learn how to make some hamburger helper or something for the nights I don't have anything ready. If it were just him eating, I would say let him fend for himself, but my daughter has to eat what he'll cook, too. I've worked the 3-11 pm shift before when she was a baby so that wasn't a big deal. I guess I just worry about things I don't need to sometimes. Thanks again everyone!