Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-18-2002, 12:52 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Worrying is a Mom's perrogative. I'm facing the cook ahead and crockpot issue myself now as I'm working part-time now and have found that even if I leave something for my DH to cook, he doesn't, and he knows how to cook! lol

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 08-19-2002, 08:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

here is a really simple crockpot recipe:

salsa chicken

b/s chicken breast (as much as you need)
1 small jar salsa
1 can chopped tomatoes

cook on low for 4 hours, serve over rice, sprinkle with jack cheese.

also, what about bar-b-que? aren't all men born knowing how to do that?
Old 08-20-2002, 03:53 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

That's a great recipe geenna. I'm going to try it today. I have to work and this way I will have something to eat for dinner. My DH "forgets" to cook. lol

~Mother Teresa
Old 08-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Geena! Sounds easy enough for him! I think if the recipe is easy enough, he'll cook. Otherwise he's more of a frozen pizza kind of cook! He'll get better with time (I hope). Thanks again everyone for all the ideas! It'll make going back to work an easier transition (I start tomorrow night. I'm kind of nervous!).
Old 08-20-2002, 11:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You're welcome. Hope you like it. of course you need to add extra salsa if you make a lot of chicken (I make 5 half breasts). I only add the can tomato so it is not too hot for my little guys.

Lissa do you have a food saver? if so you can cook lots of things ahead of time and he can just boil them in the bag. good luck at work...

gina.

Last edited by geenna74; 08-20-2002 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Try the website, www.lazygourmets.com They send out a daily newsletter and have a wealth of easy recipies that any dad can manage.

My mom passed away when I was young and my dad became an awsome but simple cook. Roasts, stews and stove top sautees. No strogonoff or creamy sauces here... Your hubby can manage whatever he chooses to do.

If you pre- cook some chicken or ground beef, or other meats that your guys like...all your hubby has to do is open a can of "cream of sometihing" soup to pour over it for gravy...add a veggie and some potatoes and noodles, and that's good for two or three dinners a week! LOL!

Any man can grill a burger, or boil a hot dog. and english muffin pizzas are a meal your two year old can help him make.

There are a lot of options, it just depends on how willing a participant your husband is. Does he support you in this?

Because if he does, anyone can learn to do delicious, simple meals in the kitchen. He doesn't have to learn to cook like you! He just has to learn to cook!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

lissa,

Sorry I didn't read carefully.. I guess a DF could be a different breed than DH..I guess you need to treat him with more gentle discretion? LOL...

Anyway here is one example of the lazygourmet's recipies... It was really good! For your daughter he might want to scrape off the onion soup mix pieces prior to plating her portion... (Also, cream of mushroom soup or cream of asparagus soup can be substituted for the cream of celery.)

Easiest Chicken and Rice Casserole

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
10.75 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1 envelope herb and garlic dry soup mix
1 1/2 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
10.75 oz. can cream of celery soup
3/4 cup water

Pour rice into 13x9" baking dish. Combine soups with water
until blended. Pour soup over rice. Place chicken breasts over
rice. Sprinkle 1/3 to 1/2 package of dry soup mix over all. Cover
with aluminum foil, bake at 350F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until
chicken is tender.

Note: May substitute dry onion soup mix for herb and garlic soup
mix.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? You could even start it before getting ready for your 3-11 shift.

Here is another my family just LOVES. We add a little apple sauce to the pie filling. it makes it juicier.

Pork Chops w/ Apple Pie Filling and Stuffing

6 boneless pork chops
1Tb. vegetable oil
1 package (6 oz) Stove Top Pork Flavored stuffing mix (or at times I use cornbread stuffing mix)
1 can (21 oz) apple pie filling
dash of cinnamon

Directions:
In a large skillet, brown the chops in the oil over medium-high heat. Prepare the stuffing according to the package directions. Spread the apple pie filling on the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Place the chops on top of the filling and then spoon the stuffing over the chops. Cover and bake in a 350 oven for 35 min. Uncover and bake 10 min. Enjoy (Serve with a salad or veggies to make mom happy.)
Old 08-22-2002, 09:15 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

The pork chop recipe sounds YUMMY! I'm going to try it. The chicken casserole recipe could also be made in a crock pot. Just leave the rice out (make it separate and serve the chicken over it or next to it) and cook it longer of course. There's nothing more tender than chicken cooked in a crock pot.

~Mother Teresa
Old 08-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lightbulb Crock Pot Recipes

My DH and I found a great crock pot recipe book.....

Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook Feasting with your slow cooker by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good

You can get it at any book store and it has GREAT recipes that you just throw together in a crockpot and "forget".

My DS#1 just turned 21 (today in fact) and is in the Army. He and his GF are learning how to cook meals together and I bought them a copy that I will mail tomorrow. They like meals that they can cook while they're both at work. They are both MP's and work 12hr. shifts so it's really nice to come home to a ready-made meal.

There are simple meals and some more "fancy" meals-all the way from appetizers to desserts! We have tried quite a few and they're all very tasty.

Hope this might help---good luck

Last edited by klcrn; 08-23-2002 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't know how involved he is willing to get, but the one thing i found that made a huge difference for me was a timer that included a meat thermometer. I always forget what temp meats need to be cooked to, but it's listed on the back of the timer to remind me. The thermometer has a wire attached to it that can be plugged into the timer. You can set the timer for both hours/minutes, as well as for a certain temp. Without the beeping sound to let me know my food is done or baked, I was always overcooking (cough cough burning!) things.

Hope that helps.