Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 01-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Planning a Party Menu

I always worry that I won't have enough food....so I need some advice. I'd rather err on the side of "too much food" than too little, especially since many (all but 3) of my guests will be staying for dinner, at which point we'll reheat what's left of the lunch!

At this party there will be 24 people: 11 adults and 13 children (ages 12 and under).
Here is the menu I have planned for lunch:
13-pound turkey and stuffing (and gravy)
1 lasagna pan of meatballs with tomato sauce
1 lasagna pan of baked ziti
1 crockpot of kielbasa with sauerkraut
rolls
platter of raw vegetables (peppers, carrots, celery, cukes) with dip
pretzels, chips
cake for dessert

The question is: do I have enough food here, or should I borrow my neighbor's crockpot and put on a batch of sausage and peppers? It will be minimal trouble for me to make this extra entree.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Barbzy -

You probably need a larger turkey if you want to recycle it at supper.

Some of this depends on the appetites involved, but generally plan on 1 # of turkey per person (you are dealing with some bones, so it isn't really a full pound of meat per person).

Think of a serving of the meatballs as 4 per person, or 2-3 per kid.

The ziti should be ok. So should the kielbasa, and the veggie platters. I, personally would NOT do the extra sausage.

Have fun!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am figuring that at dinner, I'll make a big pot of fresh pasta and serve that along with whatever meatballs are left, and the sauce. I have plenty sauce in my freezer too, that I can quickly defrost if need be.
Some of the kids are little....one infant, 2 toddlers, 3 others 4 and under....so they don't eat much anyway.

I forgot...I also have a double batch of pickled beets. This crowd loves them. No hot vegetables since they'd just be left behind.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy... you might want to add a ham if they are on sale....
I agree that the turkey is a little small.... for the amount of people....

Usually when I had this number of people....I made a ham, a turkey and a roast beef, plus pasta...etc....

I would add a few varieties of bread as well.

You did good! *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Normally I would bake the bread for the party but that's NOT GONNA HAPPEN this time. Too much else going on! But I got 4 dozen rolls, 2 dozen "sandwich" rolls for meatballs or kielbasa, and 2 dozen "dinner" rolls.

I am betting that I'll be cleaned out of kielbasa and meatballs and most of the turkey will be left! We'll see....