Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Do you prefer following a planned menu or just fixing something for dinner that sounds good that day?

hugs,train
Old 12-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Train, I always make a menu. Don't always follow it but I always start out with one. This way I am guaranteed to have the ingredients for at least 7 dinners in my house for the week.
Things come up, schedules change and sometimes I improvise or change stuff, but usually I like the feeling of knowing what I'll serve for dinner. I can do some prep work when time allows during the day--like today....I assembled the main dish earlier and it is ready for me to turn on the oven in 5 minutes. All I have to do now is fill and turn on the rice cooker and heat up some frozen vegetables and dinner is ready!! It was a busy afternoon so this was perfect.

I make my menu for a week at a time and base the meats on what's in my freezer or what's on sale. I have a spot in my menu planner for "last week's dinner" for each day to avoid reruns--and also a spot for "school hot lunch" so the kids don't get spaghetti twice in a day. It has worked out well.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I started with writing out 62 dinners that we will eat, then I took an extra calender and went from there. Now I have more meals that we will eat then those. I make my monthly menus out from there and there is occanionally that we try a new thing. Since I am a picky eater with 2 picky eaters for kids we do not try new things to often. When DH (now me) goes to get groceries we try to shop for a month except for soda, milk, fruits and vegs (these are a weekly stop at the store). We do not follow the menu plan to the tee. I just cross out what dinners we have made for the month. There are nights that we order pizza or other take out so then i have extra meals but thats ok. I have decided that for now on leftovers will be made into tv dinners for lunchs one night of dinners or when ever. I have had the seperated plates with covers for awhile but have never done it yet. But am going to start as for since this is my first month of handling all the grocery shopping and cooking it will be much easier on me. My 6 year old ds has decided that he loves Lupias and could eat them everynight thanks to my mom making them on Christmas eve. I have a container full in the freezer so when he decides he doesn't like something that I know he likes I can just cook some of them up for him. I always try to have easy stuff in the freezer for everyone that they like so that if I don't feel like cooking a meal they can just get out what ever they feel like for that night.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member

Before the holidays I was doing real well with keeping a running inventory of what was in my freezer but now I have no idea what is in there LOL. I need to make a new list this week so I know how many packs of smoked sausage, BE sausage, hamburger, pork, chicken, etc. I have as well as the veggies & pies.

We eat lunch & dinner most days at home so a lot of the leftovers are eaten in the next day or two. I haven't really planned menus out just alternate the meat that I'm cooking so we would have a chicken night, pork night, leftover night, beef night, sausage night, leftover night, etc.

I have canned pasta & soup on hand for the kids when I'm not up to fixing a meal for them which they love to eat.

Roberta
Old 02-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi diving in the freezer we are here. So menus had been made around that. I've been pulling 3 meats at a time out. The one that thaws out in the frigerator gets eaten first.. Making a big dent in the freezer. Hard times make you appreate what you have.. Last night we had stewed deer over rice. Had a little left so I'm making it into vegetable soup tonight.

I did a freezer dive a while ago pulled out a turkey (13 pounder) Lots of meals off that baby. Cooked pork ( I'll make BBQ out of it) and Ring bologna. Make a stirfry or bean type soup with it maybe.

Hope you all a good day.

This be Tree
Old 02-08-2005, 02:09 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your tried and true methods and also the suggestions. I really like the idea of a "theme" for each night.
My problem is this: we are vegetarian so that nixes the beef, chicken, etc... night. Also my DH works at a boarding school (he's the treasurer) and we live on campus, so he comes home for lunch every day. I try to have the bigger meal at lunch, but I totally run out of ideas for supper. Our breakfast is almost always cereal (not junk sugar stuff) with fruit, so sometimes I cook "breakfast" for supper.
Any thoughts.........I've been trying to keep track of all I cook for the past month and then going through and tweaking it a bit.
I also like the one night a week making something new. I am a cookbook junkie and love cooking a new recipe..........but whoever said reality kicks in was right on target. Even being a SAHM the week always ends up being more hectic than you thought it would be!!
Thanks for your ideas
Old 02-09-2005, 11:29 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Iworth,
I see that you wrote your family are vegetarians. Question for you I babysit for an almost 2 yr old vegetarian. Do you have any suggestions what to feed for lunch? Today his lunch was a bit of cheese, creamed peas and a tiny amount of pear that he would not eat....I really dont think his diet has any balance. Any ideas would be apprciated.
Leighann
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Iworth have you ever changed meat recipes in to vegetrian. Like useing veggie burgers instead of pork in casserole Like for Baked Sweet Potatoes and Pork Chops. Useing TVP instead of ground beef. We run a small bulk store I have costomer come in that are vegetarian. They use alot of TVP. I use TVP to strech my beef out. I put 1/2 hamberger called for the put the rest tvp.

Hope this was a little help.

This be Tree
Old 02-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello all!
I enjoyed reading all your ideas for menues.
What I try to do is make up menues for 2 or 3 months. I shop once a month but I go thru my cook books & write down the book & page of a recipe that I think we will like, then have a calendar made up & put the recipe on certain days.
During the winter I try to have some kind of soup once a week which always has leftovers but the next night have something else & then the next night have the leftover soup, that way you don't get tired of having leftovers! The same goes for any meats or casseroles.
Some of the menues are old standbys & alot are new recipes that I call dishes. My husband says 'oh no not another dish' but usually goes back for 2nds. This way I can try new recipes, I get tired of fixing the same old things! Sometimes they are very similar to the old recipes but like with pasta it calls for a different noodle.
I also got some index cards ( this took awile to do) & went thru the cook books & wrote down the name of the recipe on the front of the card & numbered them 1-2-3 etc with the name of the cookbook & page number & on the back beside that number wrote the ingredients, mostly what I may not have on hand. This way I can take the card to the store & I have the list of ingredients I need. Or when I search for a recipe I can see if I have the ingredients on hand & can fix that recipe, or substitute an ingredient.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:02 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I do use TVP or veggie substitutes, but it tends to be a little more expensive than my budget can handle on a regular basis. We are lucky because we live on school campus, our cafeteria director lets us buy from her at cost. Keeps the cost down some.
Thanks for your suggestions.