FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/meal-planning-grocery-shopping/)
-   -   Do You Follow a Menu Plan for the Week, Month or ?? Tips Needed ! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/meal-planning-grocery-shopping/7744-do-you-follow-menu-plan-week-month-tips-needed.html)

sharona 07-27-2003 04:16 AM

I make a weeks worth of menus at a time. I write down the days of the week, but I'm not bound by what to serve on that given day. I make my menus based on the food ads and what I have in the freezer and pantry. I also keep track of what I need for lunches and breakfast, but they are not on my menu list. I really take advantage of sale items and especially buy 1 get 1 offers.
I do my shopping early on Sat morning, when the stores are stocked, the markdowns have happened and it's not too crowded.

Here is this weeks menu

Sat - Sausage, corn and Potato Casserole
Sun - Steak on the Grill, potato salad and corn and bean salad
Mon - Stir fried veggies over rice with garlic bread
Tues - Salad with all the fixing's
Wed - Rosemary and Feta Chicken roll ups with tomato sauce, rice and steamed broccoli
Thurs - Smoked Sausage, sauerkraut and potatos in the crockpot
Fri - Loaded baked potatoes and leftovers

I always have salad available, especially good for starving people before I get dinner on the table.

Hope this helps!
Sharon

ajrsmom 07-27-2003 05:41 AM

Thanks to both of you for sharing your plans. I usually make a weekly menu while making my store list......I just have to get hard on myself and stick to it!!

Jenna 07-29-2003 11:10 AM

Hi Tami,

I plan my menus once a week, when the sale flyers come. I try to use things that are on sale. I don't have the same type of meal on a particular day either. I don't even plan what I am going to have for each day in the week. What I do is plan 7 days and then decide in the morning what I am going to make that day. Some of my recipes are more complicated than others and sometimes I just don't have time for anything that takes too much time. It all depends on what else is going on that day. Usually, I plan at least one dish that will make more than one meal. Then on a really busy day, I can have leftovers of that meal.

I just go through my many recipes and try to choose a nice selection of dishes using different meat. So maybe I will have two chicken dishes, one with hamburger, one with pork, etc.

Hope this made sense, sometimes it doesn't relate well in the written word.:)

Good luck to you with getting organized!
Jenna

MomsZoo 07-30-2003 04:45 AM

I'm not quite as organized as the other ladies here, but I do plan to a certain extent. Before I go grocery shopping, I plan dinners for at least a week, knowing some nights will be leftovers, one night order a pizza, and maybe one night everyone fends for themselves (or as I like to call it, mom's night off!). So when I go shopping, I know I'll have dinner for a week and a half at the very least. I make a list of everything I'm going to make and write down what ingredients I need from that list and take it to the store. That way I don't forget anything and I find that I spend much less money than when I used to go to the grocery store and just wing it.

bobbiegirl 08-03-2003 06:38 AM

You gals are awesome!

Since it is just my hubby and I, except for when the grandkids are visiting, I have become a very poor planner.

One of the nice things I like about my hubby of only 3 years is that he does not expect a prepared meal everyday, he will eat when he is hungry. I get up at 4:30 a.m. to be at work by 6 a.m. and when I get home around 2:30 p.m. I am tired and my job is taking care of Mentally Disabled Adults in a foster care setting, which means I am cleaning, cooking and doing laundry ALL day, so needless to say, when I get home, it is everyone for themselves. I do have to stop myself from having feelings of guilt for my lack of energy when I get home, I am 55 y.o. and my hubby has been unemployed for almost a year and he does NOTHING around the house all day, so I guess it is a little bit of a self defense mechanism I have going on here too!

You gals sound so organized and on top of things, I just wanted you to know how terrific I think it is. 8-)

barbszy 12-28-2003 11:41 AM

I do a menu by the week. This way I can shop for what's on sale each week in the supermarket :-D and get the meat at the best price. We eat around what's on sale or what's in the fridge unless there is a special occasion.

ajrsmom 01-22-2004 01:30 PM

I have been making out a weekly menu for us every Fri. to use the following week. Our sales ads come on Fri. so I pair those with any coupons that I have from the previous week and the Sunday coupons and shop either on Sunday or Monday.

This seems to work for us right now. ::-)::

Jora 05-12-2004 08:26 AM

I also plan my dinners around activities.

For us, Mondays were hectic -- bring kids home from reliegious ed at 5; DH & DD leave for scouts at 5:50 -- so those were crockpot nights.

At the beginning of the month, I block out a meal plan. Then I make up my Sam's Club list, since we only go to Sam's about once a month. I also make up a Super Wal Mart list -- Wal Mart is 20 miles in the OTHER direction. Again, a trip I make once a month.

Having covered the basics, I pick up loss leaders locally.

Occasionally, I'll have to buy something local at full price, when an urgent need comes up -- for example, DH was to bring snack to scouts. He decided that Milk Chugs would be healthier than the drink pouches they usually have. Ouch! I think I paid $3.50 a 6-pk. And then, most the girls drank a sip or two and dumped the rest. (Next time, I think DH will take drink pouches).

Anyway, still working to get the meals streamlined and the budget under control.

paintingnut 11-05-2004 08:09 PM

To make life easier for me, I made up 5 weeks worth of menus , I dont have them specificly for any day of the week, but 7 breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners which i can fix any day of the week. I then made out a grocery list for each of those 5 menu sheets for every ingredient I would need to make all of the meals. I keep these sheets in a day planner in my purse and they are numbered.. the menu sheets are 1-5 with coresponding grocery lists also numbered 1-5. when I go shopping, i open up my day planner, flip to the menu section, and shop with the premade list of my choice. It really has cut down on planning, and when I made up these lists, I asked each family member to think of their favorite meal, and each person has one meal that the have picked on each sheet, so at least one person is happy one day per week!( there are 7 of us how handy.:clapp: )
If I do my shopping at say, Aldis.. a discount grocery store in our area, I breeze right through, spend as little as I can possibly spend and end up with exactly what I need and no impulse buys.. just whats on the list.

tree3branches 11-08-2004 03:55 PM

::-):: My menu this week.

Tonight we had Beef Burritos , served with baked sweetpotatoes and a green salad

Tues. Ginger Chicken with butter herbed potatos, and steamed broccoli and carrots.

Wed. Baked Fish baked potato and greens

Thurs. Vegetable soup (crockpot) grilled cheese and spinach salad.

Fri. Shepred Pie steamed Broccole and caulflower with butter and a salad

Sat. Pork Chops, butter noodles, applesauce sourdough rolls

Sunday Pot Luck night clear out frig.