Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Peanut Butter and jelly rolled up or peanut butter a little mayo and some banana.
Robin--I just have to ask. Do you really put mayo and peanut butter togehter?!

You have some great ideas--thanks for sharing them. I know wihtut trying that my grands wouldn't eat some like chickpeas. I hate them too though. I may try some of those pasta ideas--they do like pasta. The oldest dgd would live on spaghetti if we allowed it.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-25-2003, 07:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nagymom
Robin--I just have to ask. Do you really put mayo and peanut butter togehter?! Jayne
Although I've never tried it because I don't really care for mayo, you've never heard of a peanut butter & mayo sandwich? Or a PB, mayo & banana sandwich? That was a fave of a former uncle of mine

Again, I won't touch it but know many who do! Don't you just love all of this individuality! Without it, we'd all be boring clones of each other!
Old 05-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes, I really do put peanut butter and mayo together and many times banana... even better on lighly toasted bread!

I've tried hard to get my kids pasted the way things look...
my kids eat brussles sprouts, broccoli, guaqomole, hummus on pita bread, bagels and cream chesse. We do lots of different rices and rice dishes. We use variety of different breads too.

We make them take a bite or two of anything they are served. If they dont like it fine and they can even close their eyes . Many times they find out it is good even if they thought it would be.

I wouldn't like chick peas on a plate by themselves but do like them in hummus and salads.

Another favorite is lunch meats (turkey, ham, etc.) some veggies carrots, tomotoes, cukes, green peppers, whatever I have. Sort of salad without lettuce. and maybe a little dip on the side
and some fruit (strawberries, apples, etc.) on a plate. I make homemade lemonaid or variety of teas or herb teas. We do juicey juice on ice too! I do have to meet my daughters needs so variety is the key. If I cook or serve meat I always make sure she has a good selection to choose from.
I find shopping the health food store has benefits when shopping for canned good but many regular stores are putting in these sections. Annies makes good food. There are several more.
I try to make better choices. If eating Pizza we do either cheese or veggie instead of the meat kind. I try to stay away from white flour, white sugar (especailly since it's usually processed through charred animal bones, although this is very hard since sugar can be in almost anything you buy)
It all take s a little effort but my kids health is worth it.
Now lets all go make happy plates! Robin in NC
Old 05-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We use to eat peanutbutter, banana and miracle whip sandwiches. The miracle whip keeps the peanut butter from sticking to the roof of your mouth. The first time I had one, I didn't know what I was eating and I thought it was good, but suprised when I found out what it was! lol

Carol

Old 05-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have led a sheltered life---I had NO idea people ate those combinations! Then again my dh taught all of us (me and kids) to eat grape jelly on grilled cheese sandwiches. We wouldn't touch them without it now.

We have had a rule forever in this house that the kids must taste anything we fix. This would explain why they all eat fried green tomatoes, brussels sprouts, squash of any kind, eggplant, etc. Yet the middle dd hates corn--go figure. We now enforce this with the little ones. Picky dd has a picky one of her onw now and will resist but we always win. I can't count all the times she has finally taken that one bite and said YUMMY. If they truly hate something (like seafood) we don't make them eat it but they have to taste it.

My dgks are on a water kick now. We keep iced tea made year round and sweeten it with Splenda. I also keep a filtered water pitcher in the fridge and 99% of the time this is what they want. GOOD for them! I don't buy sodas at all anymore--not even diet. I gave up diet sodas months ago and not only don't miss them but feel better too. Strangely, my dgks have never been big on sodas and always preferred tea or chocolate milk.

School lets out this week--Wednesdaynis the last day. Oldest dd is grocery shopping tonight so will have her stock up on tuna for oldest dgd who loves it as well as spaghettio's. I may hate them but they like them.
Youngest dgd loves peanut butter and I have several jars stocked of that. Dgs loves anything as long as it's food.

I also have tortilla shells so will do bean burritos--another favorite of oldest dgd.

Jayne

Old 05-25-2003, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nagymom
eat grape jelly on grilled cheese sandwiches.

oldest dgd who loves spaghettio's. I may hate them but they like them.

Jayne

grape jelly on grilled cheese?! That's one I've never heard of!! Maybe one day, I'll be brave enough to try it!!

What a boring place this would be if everyone liked the same exact things! None of my children ever liked anything Chef Boyardee but many children would live on them if they could! To each his own!

Better for a child to eat something they like than to walk away hungry because you put something in front of them that they don't like!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Better for a child to eat something they like than to walk away hungry because you put something in front of them that they don't like!
Very well said Abear, and this is what my dd would do if I did not have spaghettios.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Has anyone ever had eggnog with pepsi in it? My bil likes it, and I finally broke down and tried it, and it wasn't bad! Of course if I remember right, I was pregnant at the time! lol Lavern on Lavern and Shirlety use to drink pepsi and milk. It probably tastes a lot like the eggnog and milk. I have a friend who likes apples cut up in a bowl with vinegar and pepper on them, lots of vinegar! I haven't tried that, don't think I will. lol

Carol

Old 05-25-2003, 11:32 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

School let out at 1 last Friday, so I must start my lunches sooner than most. My kids like chicken nuggets, fish sticks, ham sandwiches, grilled cheese and soup, spaghetti oh's (but not the ones with franks...and those are my favorites), peanut butter and banana or jelly, pretty much anything. One thing I always do is make sure they get their meat, veggie, starch, and fruit as well as a glass of milk. I will end up making a menu up for June for lunches so I don't repeat at supper time. I figure kids will be kids and they eat some good and some bad but it equals out in the end.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Carol--I doubt I'd try that apple thing either--but then again I DO like vinegar!

Abear--be prepared. Once you eat a grilled cheese with the smear of grape jelly it's dull without it forever more. We simply grill as usual then spread jelly on the outside. MmmmMMmmMMMmMM

Didn't we have a conversation a long while back on the What's for Dinner thread about weird sandwiches? I can't remember any off hand but I do recall there were some STRANGE ones.

Amen ladies--far better to have them eat than walk away. Mine would drive me nuts with "I'm hungry" all afternoon if I didn't make SOMETHING they like.

Jayne