Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meal Planning for Emergencies

Now that the Terror Alert has been raised to HIGH and we are all encouraged to stock up on supplies, what steps are you taking to plan meals in case of emergencies? What do you keep in your pantry, what do you plan to serve and how do you plan to prepare it?
Old 02-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Barb...

Here so close to both NYC and the Indian Point nuclear Power Plant, we are acustomed to being prepared for emergencies.

We own a small propane cook stove/heater and extra propane tanks that are portable.

We have bottled water, (one gallon per family member per day for a week.) We also have water purification kits and packaged ration meals that don't need water to be prepared. I also have a good supply of multi vitamins and I always fill a three month supply of our perscription drugs.

We know how to do "camp cooking" We have Dutch ovens, and know how to build a solar oven out of a card-board box.... We have plenty of duct tape and heavy duty plastic for the windows and doors.

As far as pantry stocking.. We buy canned and heat-packed foods that are complete and don't need water or refrigerated ingredients to be served. Canned chicken and tuna. Spam for those who'll eat it... Soups, chili, canned stews and pastas, canned veggies and fruits... ( Don't forget to buy a few extra can openers! LOL! )

There are pudding cups that don't need refirgeration, and other shelf-stable items. It's amazing what you find when you go up and down the aisles with a different mind-set!

The boxed milk and juice boxes are a good idea to stock up on too.

Until there is an episode of contamination... I won't be cooking any differently... So my "menu plannning" is the same.

I truly hope I'll have to throw most of the emergency rations and purification kits away when their dates expire, rather than have to use any of them, but I'm glad I have them anyway.

I don't think I'll be buying any gas masks or Haz-Mat suits.. but my family does have Potasium Iodide tablets to take in case of a radiation leak from the power plant. All the schools have them too, and they will be given to the kids if necessary.

Scary times, huh? What a thread... Too bad we need to talk about it.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I figure I can always use my gas grill...and I have a propane stove from camping...I camp so I would just make the things I make then and I have some meals already cooked in the freezer. I try to keep my pantry stocked at all times and I get bottled water delivered so we have plenty except for the week before the delivery date, I may call and have some more delivered to get us through.
I figure things like homemade beefaroni will be good, I can make bread in the grill is need be and I also can cook flat bread like tortillas. I have some white bread in the freezer but am not crazy about just eatting it use it more for stuffing.
I may not want what I have but I will not go hungry.
I am 25 miles from Philly a hi risk area as well as I work there.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 02-12-2003, 10:05 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I pretty much have the same things Lifestar mentioned--nothing that needs to be mixed, or even heated if need be. Canned meats, veggies, fruit, ready-to-serve-soups. I have ours in a box by the door in case we need to evacuate(gas leak or something like that.). Lots of water for everyone!! And for the kids, packets of koolaid.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:03 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

It is almost time for me to get my hurricane disaster kit ready. We have to have 2 every year. Dh needs to keep one at the fire station for him. I have small children and I recommend putting some cards, coloring books, crayons and board games in the kit as well. Don't forget flaslights, a battery powered radio, a weather radio, extra batteries, a first aid kit, extra clothing. Trash bags. oh and don't forget manual can openers, paper plates, cups, mapkins, & paper towels.

I know that I got off topic sorry. For food we have canned tuna, chicken, vienna sausages, fruit, juices, water(enough for a 3 day supply per person). Peanut butter and jelly too. I have never had to live off of the stuff or more than 2 days(in a shelter) so I never had to really cook. We just ate the spahetti-os and stuff out of the can. Of course I have never had to do it since I had kids.

Good luck.

Chrissy

P.S. Don't forget to look at the red cross website for some helpful information about disaster kits.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Scary but necessary....

I posted this question on the WFD (What's For Dinner Tonight) forum:

Has anyone ever canned meat? I can venison in hunting season. It's so easy to make a meal with it. It's fully cooked and really tender. I just put it in a pot and make pot pie, veg. soup, bee and noodles... whatever. Has anyone ever canned pork, chicken, etc?

Thanks..... have a nice day.;-)
Old 02-13-2003, 04:00 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Chris,

I haven't done that. But I believe that it is a great idea. I just wish that my dh was successful hunting this year. We are going to start fishing here soon, like crazy.

Chrissy
Old 02-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Chris,
a friend of mine use to can beef roast...it was so tender and so easy to make dinner with it...I haven't done it I guess I could I have a pressure canner.

I went to the store today and stocked up on some things that require little cooking, if any, like spam...canned tomato sauce, I have lots of tuna and I got extra PB and J and nutella and some canned veggies. I have not made a "box" yet. I am sort of a fatalist...like what will be will be...and so am not sure I want to go that far. I did pick up batteries and bulbs for the flashlights. Otherwise I am trying to go on as normal. I figure the terrorists would love to see us cowering with worry...not me I won't give them the satisfaction. I will be prepared but I will not worry, God will protect me.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 02-15-2003, 07:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We live in Florida. We do a lot of the same things mentioned above plus we make blocks of ice by using large tupperware containers. Luckily we have a large freezer. :-)
Old 02-15-2003, 07:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We live 1 mile downwind of a chemical stockpile army depot. the Army is currently building an incinerater to burn some of the chemicals that have been stored here since WW II. We have been drilled in emergency preparedness as I'm sure many of you have for hurricanes and earthquakes. We have been given duct tape and plastic to cover the openings of the windows and doors in case of a chemical spill. The idea is to "shelter in place" in a room that has no outside doors or windows.
I plan on taking this a little further to include sood and water for a week.
It's too scarry. We pray that we will never need any of this.

Subee