Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-21-2003, 10:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Gigwi! I wanted to write and inform you of a great forum I've been involved in for many weeks now.... It's the WFD forum. (What's For Dinner Tonight.) Go to the bottom and click on the Forum Jump. Double click it. It's great. Many recipes and a lot of fun people there! I've been hooked! Maybe you've already been there....

Old 02-21-2003, 11:54 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

containers

For my containers I had recycled houseplant pots(cleaned with bleach and totally dried!!). I also grabbed some buckets from the deli(they usually toss them once they are empty)--I bought the platter-thingys for under pots to set them on. If looks are important, you could paint them to match your decor. I just wrapped/tied/stapled sheets around them. I bought bags of soil(not potting soil--the stuff for outside)and used that because I wasn't sure what was in the dirt outside. I have never had any luck starting with seeds--I buy the plants and transplant them. But if you have a green thumb seeds are the way to go. BTW--don't try to grow anything with store-produce seeds(from fresh produce)--most of them have a terminator gene that won't reproduce. Also, keep the light in mind--a warm and cool spectrum bulb combo in a flourescent fixture is as good as a grow light and usually cheaper! Then you just plant it normally and take care of it like any other plant. I have found that I don't get as much produce, but still get lots. And the taste isn't as garden-fresh, but still better than the rubber in the stores!!

Lee, as long as you have good light, soil, and lots of water, you can grow pretty much anything in pots!! My best friend has a deck at her condo and grows all her produce, including corn, in pots all around her deck. The trick there is to keep some of the leaves trimmed so all the plant's energy goes to making fruit, not growing leaves!
Old 02-21-2003, 12:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Mrs. Maniac:
Thanks for the info!! I am excited to try and see if I can do this!! Your instructions and tips really help.

Gigwi:
Hey there ! Got your reply email! Great to hear from ya! We can trade notes as we attempt to become our "inner supermoms" lol...

I am going to jump over and check out the What's For Dinner thread to get some meal plan ideas...

Can't wait to find some new inspiration for quick and filling meals!! With all of my family being comprised of MALES lol I cook in large quantities...

Mom of 3 boys
Patrick, 14
Lucas, 12
Ethan, 5

Wife to
Scotty
Old 02-21-2003, 01:08 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Now ready for spring

Thank you MrsManiac, I think I will try from seed first just for adventure...plus I was going to plant seeds last year and never got around to planting them, so I have seeds and at least try and fail then never to have tried!!!!

Karen

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 02-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Looks like everyone is doing a wonderful job at taking preparedness serioulsy. Good for all of you!

There is another area that you might want to consider. It was already mentioned that part of what helped those during the depression years and rationing was a garden. Even city dwellers can have home grown produce. Even apartment dwellers. One can take advantage of container gardening, if that is all you have room for. If you have lawn, you can border your flower beds with green bean plants, put tomatoes in with your flowers, etc. Many use the postage stamp or square foot gardening system. My inlaws do this....they supply an amazing amount from their small garden space. And I do mean small!!

When I lived in a subdivision, I had nearly all the produce our family of 5 needed. And yes...when times get hard, you can share this food with others, and use it for bartering. Teach yourself to can or dehydrate, and you will have wonderful sauces, fruits, vegetables, and meats. (Yes, I can meats...buy what is on sale, and can some of it. Is very good, and tender. Best soups, chilis, stews, and casseroles!!)

There is a very nice website on preparing for this war possibility. There are also very good places to learn about gardening for those living in the city. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I will post them.

Keep up the good work!!

Michelle
Old 02-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gee...guess I should have read ALL the posts in this section. Then I would have seen that the discussion on gardening was already in progress!! OOPS!

I am an avid gardener....so guess I just jumped to this topic! LOL

Happy Gardening!

Michelle
Old 02-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Michelle
I would like to know more about canning meats, I have all the hardware but never tried it...what meats do you can? do you just do them plian or do you season up first?
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 02-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Some I do plain, some I season with onion, garlic, chili powder, whatever the end result will be, and others I put in combination dishes, such as stew. I have canned chicken, turkey, beef, venison, guinea, pork. I canned short ribs in a bbq sauce, beef in a stew (layered the ingredients: potatoes, carrots, onions, carrots, then meat and some broth from cooking, or just water, salt to taste), process for 90 minutes. 90 minutes is the time for meat, so it doesn't matter what else you put in with it, you have to make it 90 min. (other ingredients have shorter times...meat is the longest)

I sometimes add a tad of beef boullion to my venison stew for a more concentrated flavor. I like to add some water after opening, to make it stretch further. Besides, my family likes biscuits or cornbread to sop up the broth.

You can can seasoned ground beef for mexican dishes; a meatloaf, albeit round LOL; meatballs in sauce; the imagination makes possibilities endless. And tastes great too! Is easy, cause you can have the canner going while cleaning kitchen, making dinner, watching program after dinner....what ever.

Michelle
Old 02-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

One more thing regarding canning meats....if you do any precooking of anything, (example, cooking chicken to debone it to go in jars) save the broth and can it with the meat, and put rest in jar and can your own broth! Tastes wonderful with your own seasoning.

Regarding herbs...do not put them in the jars to can. The flavor will not be same. Add herbs later when heating.

Also, I have browned bones (beef) by roasting in oven, then swishing water around the browned juices/bones, to flavor. Makes great broth to can too! (wonderful for gravy later)

Michelle

Old 02-25-2003, 04:31 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Freezing bread dough

I think it was here that we were discussing freezing bread dough, not sure. But I looked around on the internet, and this is what I found so far:

Make bread as usual, let rise once beat down, and wrap securely, to mostly keep smells/freezer burn out. Take out and thaw and let rise and bake as usual. They also mentioned to check out the frozen bread dough at the store to see how they let it rise..like for quick rise and such.

I think I will try this this week sometime, if I get a light workload, we are busy right now, and I need to take the work while they have it!!!! They have offered positions to the cottageworkers in proofreading, I am not sure I would be good at that, then if I take it I am afraid I will not be able to go back to typesetting, and what if I am not on the pink slip list for typesetting. Sorry about the blabbing!!!!

Karen