Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-20-2003, 10:40 AM

Whole wheat bread & freezing

Karen-

I haven't tried that yet, have been meaning to. If I did I would probably let it rise once, punch it down and shape, freeze and when your ready to use, thaw which should cause it to rise again, grease the pan and bake as usual. I'm also including the recipe now for pasta. I have a pasta maker but you should still be able to use the recipe. It needs to dry for at least an hour before cooking. I usually do mine for 24 hours. I want to experiment and try drying in oven on low heat and storing like regular store pasta? Could even use my food dehydrator I guess.

4 cups flour ( I use 3 cups wheat, 1 cup all purpose)
4 eggs (I use 8 egg whites to lower cholesterol)

Mix, roll out & slice. I use kitchen scissors. As I mentioned I have a machine, it makes macaroni, fetticine, rigatoni, I can't even name how many wheels it has. it always leaves extra dough and I just cut it up and use like dumplings.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 02-20-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Freezing bread dough--

I haven't tried it either but I remember reading that if you are going to freeze the dough you need to add extra yeast. I'm sure there is more accurate information SOMEWHERE out there......
Old 02-20-2003, 01:08 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

flour

If you're going to stock up on flour, just remember to keep it frozen and then brought to room temperature before using or put bayleaves up under the flap before storing in your pantry to keep the bugs away.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:07 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Omommyo
I was going to mention the same thing about freezing the flour....you can freeze it right in the bags but I am always afraid they will get wet....a friend of mine just keeps hers refrigerated. I put mine in tupperware and freeze anything over 5 #...I do admit I have to go and stock up on some all purpose, just got low. I got some sugar, that was something else they rationed during the war and during the depression. I do use less sugar than flour on the whole but....if I really cook all from scratch I would use more.
Ruth

Ps
I found books about food prep in the depression....it is way interesting....they ate stuff we would never consider....my mom ate lard sandwiches with salt.

container gardening can be found on the web but I cannot think of the site now...if you search for container gardens I am sure you will find a few.
contact your local state extension office they may have pamphlets for you too.
many a person survived the depression cause they had a garden..or a small farm...they then bartered for what they didn't have....

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 02-20-2003, 05:10 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Food prep during the depression

I always keep my flour in the freezer, I have the current bag in a sealed tupperware container, and have 3 5# unopened bags in teh freezer, and am going to purchase more this weekend!!

Ruth
Do you know the name of the book that you found on food prep during the depression? I would be very interested in reading a copy of it, would like to check the library for a copy!!!

I did look a wee little bit for info on container gardening on the web but found stuff mostly on flowers Will have to take more time and look harder. Thanks

Karen

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:17 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Karen--this is what I did when I lived in an apt and didn't have a yard. It worked well because we had some good window locations lol!! I grew two pots of lettuce on my kitchen window sills(rectangular pots--you can just cut off the leaves you need and they'll grow back). I had a hanging basket of cherry tomatoes over my sink, and a hanging basket of strawberries in my bedroom window. I had two pots(1 plant ea) of bell peppers under my living room window next to my couch. In the corner next to that, I had a pot of green beans--I screwed a hook into the ceiling, strung up some fishing line, and let them climb up that. Yes, I got some odd looks from company, but mostly they were impressed. Hey, I was growing GROCERIES for my KIDS!! Now I have a basement and grow things in the fall/winter with grow lights. Maybe you can talk to your landlord about using your space for a small veggie garden instead of flowers--my mom had a small one and they didn't mind as long as she kept it nice-looking. lol--she grew strawberries under her window and few people actually knew what the plants were--only that they had really cute white flowers!!

It is totally feasible to grow stuff indoors--even a closet could work if you have a grow light lol!! You just need to check out the lighting and where you have a few feet of space. Heck--a friend of mine built a "wall" that she grew her stuff in--it was like a narrow staircase and the bottom was only 12 inches across. Her landlord snagged it when she moved because she wanted to grow stuff, too. It is possible!!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:28 AM

Lightbulb Great Gardening Tips

Mrs. Maniac-

Thanks for sharing, I hope I can get motivated this spring to do an outside garden. Hubby hates using the tiller and won't let me use it because he's afraid I'll hurt myself. Hmm, get tiller, get hubby's attention=hubby tilling the garden:p Sometimes we have to resort to devious measures to get things done. I need to put up a new garden fence again too. Alot of work but so worth it. Last year I did the patio garden thing and it went pretty well. I grew tomatoes and bell peppers. Here's to thinking spring!

Oh yeah, someone asked about canning meat, I haven't done it, am scared to but Ball's Blue Book has a good section on it. Must have a pressure canner though and this is one area where I would strongly suggest buying new vs. used because the seals can get old, cracked and not seal properly which means your food is processed at the right heat.

Anna
Old 02-21-2003, 07:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mrs. Maniac

Mrs. Maniac, I am completely inspired by your success with your "Indoor Garden"!! I have always wanted to try it but really wasn't sure how to start...plus also trying to find the least expensive way to do it, with what I amy be able to use from around the house...without having to buy too much as our budget is sqweezed as it is!! Any tips on what you did and / or used to have such a good "crop"? i.e. any special soil, size of containers, brand of seeds, etc.?? I would love any tips you can share!!! Thanks so much!!

Mom of 3 boys
Patrick, 14
Lucas, 12
Ethan, 5

Wife to
Scotty
Old 02-21-2003, 07:40 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Container Gardening

I too am interested in container gardening, I have a small back yard and one area dedicated to flowers from the woman who lived here before us.. It is so beautiful every summer I could never replace it as I would feel way to guilty! Anyway I do have a deck that could use some decoration what could be better than bright red tomatos, or bright red and green peppers??? I remember fresh sugar snap peas right out of my grandmas garden, Maybe I could grow them next to garage they climb right? I think I remember that at least....I need to get a book, library will probaly be all checked out oh well will try anyway!

Leighann
Old 02-21-2003, 08:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Container gardening

Thank you so much MrsManiac
At least now I know what will do welll in containers, I have a very large deck that will be a garden deck this summer!!!! I told DH that and he gave me a funny look, not sure if it was a I'll believe it when I see it look, or a you're not really gonna do that kinda look!!! Oh well, I am determined that this summer I will have more fresh veggies!!!! Do you think the lettuce would produce well outside? I do not have good sunny windows, or a spare closet. Do the inside Green beans produce alot of beans, I know that in a real garden you get bushels and bushels of beans!!!!!

Lee, We must have the same Grandma, I remember those snap peas also, she would then make them with potatoes (mixed together)!!! So delicious!!!! Good luck with finding a book at the Library, our local one only had one on container gardening flowers. I will have to checl the other libraries and see if I can't interlibrary loan!!!

Karen

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!