Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-17-2003, 10:31 AM

You said it Lisa

This is just the type preparation I'm talking about, none of us wants to be out there with those people who depend on Micky D for their next meal. I have made homemade bread the last 2 weekends, 7 loafs and froze some and used some. By making extra each time, you will not find me in the bread aisle on a snow day! We drink powdered milk, as well as homemade yogurt made from powdered milk, so I won't be in the milk/cheese section either. I am stocked up on toilet paper, medicine, my husband's Pepsi, coffee, etc. not because I am overly concerned about terrorist but I buy when it's on sale and I have coupons and wait for the next sale. I want to be more like my grandparents and less dependent on food manufacturer's.

Anna
Old 02-20-2003, 03:59 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What about the "after affects"?

I hate to be a pessimist(sp) but what about the after effects? I was talking to my mom and she was saying about the (forgive me here I am very unknowing of correct terms) stock market crash from WWII, and the food ration. She was only born in the 40's but I guess Grandmother told her... don't know, but they were only aloud to buy certain amounts of food at the stores, they were given tickets or something, and were only allowed to buy certain amounts of flour, yes flour nothing was mentioned about stocking up on flour. Think of everything that is made with flour!!! Bread, crackers, pasta...not a day goes by that we do not eat these things!!!! I don't really know if anything else was rationed, but I am sure everyting was!!

Does anyone else have thoughts on this I am sure someone here remembers the post WWII??? Or at least someone who experienced it.

Well, I am off to the store to stock up on flour, tuna, water, sugar, powder milk, soup, and yes kerosene!!!!

I always thought I was an unprepared person, but before this snow storm I did not run out to buy anything, and did not run out of a thing I am so proud of me and more prepared than I thought. But today, is shopping day, I just got my income tax return so am going to stock up!!!! and not spend on stupid toys this year!!!!! yeah!!!!

Karen

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 02-20-2003, 06:42 AM

Being Prepared

Karen-

Good morning, hope I catch you before you go "Power Shopping", if you have a Gordon's Food Service in your area that is a excellant place to get bulk at cheap prices don't forget yeast. If you need recipes, let me know since I've been making my own bread and pasta lately... it is so much better. The bread is a little heavier than store bought and it doesn't last as long because it doesn't have preservatives in it but I pop a couple small slices in the microwave after work about 20 seconds and lather with butter (low fat margarine) and Ahhh.... the taste is heavenly and filling! I make mine with 3/4 stone whole wheat and 1/4 all purpose white. I am going to start trying to find a bulk food for dried eggs, can't make pasta without eggs I don't think? My mil was a little girl during WWII, she lived on a farm and she talked about how homeless people would come to their door asking for food in exchange for work, now days people are so ruthless that they would just rob you. I sure hope if that day ever comes my dogs do their job.

Anna
Old 02-20-2003, 07:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

I was reading through this thread and saw that one lady cans meat. My mom used to do this but, I have no clue how to do it. Could you tell me how it is done. I really liked it as I was growing up and think that this would be a really good idea

Thanks tons
Old 02-20-2003, 08:24 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

gigwi, I have no idea lol!! I have the Ball Blue Book and am considering trying some this year--I have more room in my pantry closet than I do in my freezer, so it may be a good idea for me. My grandma used to can her meat, but I don't know how she did it.

Karen--I hate to admit it, but I've been thinking about that, too. It's hard to imagine our world coming to that, but the economy is bad and this "war" is just making things worse!! I'm finding myself grateful that I can do so much on my own and not have to worry about how to feed my kids. I grow our produce, can and freeze all I can, make our bread, etc etc. Lol--I even kept some blankets that I was going to donate, just in case! My biggest concern is dh's job--he works in a small shop that makes stuff for Ford. If he were to lose his job, we'd be in trouble. My current goal and driving force is to somehow get us prepared for that day--always praying that it never happens. We have no savings at all, our house still belongs to the bank...it's a scary time for everyone! So I do like countless others...grit my teeth and do what I can to be prepared!!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:12 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna

No you didn't catch me, I don't think we have a Gordon's in our area, as soon as I am finished here I am going to check my phone book. Did not get to finish my shopping, was a little disgusted, my van was stuck in the driveway it took me 1/2 hour to get out of it, (our driveway is just a little longer than my van) LOL!!!!

Yes, I would love your recipes, for bread and pasta, the only ones I have are from an old mennonite cookbook!!!! I do not have a bread machine though, so will have to do everything by hand!!!! Heard too many people say they had gotten one and one of two things happened they either didn't like them or they broke the machine, and then they were lost without it!!!! I don't need anything else to be lost over!!!! Do you make all of your own pasta???

MrsManiac
I know the feeling, my dh works construction, concrete no less, talk about one of the first jobs to fall!!! My job does not hold much hope either, they are sending our work overseas, I am just hanging in there!!! I am not allowed to have a "garden" but the lease does not say anything about "potted" plants. Does anyone know where I can get info. about container gardening for veggies?? Last year I had a hanging plantar of cherry toms, and a small patch of Big boys, green peppers, and hot peppers, I think I will sneak more of others, in around my flowers this spring.:p The landlord wants it to look nice, and the ground is already dug for flowers!!!!

Well I need to go over and read the Frugal links, I am feeling really frugal right now, and need new ideas, I am so far behind need to read back posts, and learn, learn, learn, and be encouraged!!!!
Lets all just pray for the best, and hope for better!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:49 AM

Whole Wheat Bread

Mom2-4,

Here is the recipe. If you would rather have white than wheat, just add more white and less wheat.

Whole Wheat Bread

2 Tbs. butter or margarine
2 Tbs. Brown sugar
2 ¼ tsp. Active yeast or 1 packet
1 cup warm water
1 Tbs. veg. Oil (I use olive oil)
2 cups whole wheat
1 cup all purpose flour

Put yeast in warm water, stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
Mix all ingredients (I use my food processor) and put into a greased bowl and let rise (about 1 hour). Punch down and flatten on floured surface and shape into loaf. Put in greased bread pan and let rise again, about ½ hour then put in oven at 350 for 55 minutes.

Anna

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 02-20-2003 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Gigwi. I haven't been on lately. I'm the one who mentioned canning meat. Here's what I do. My husband cuts up the venison roasts into chunks. I fill (wide mouth) jars with meat, add a little salt and water to the top, leaving head space. I take a butter knife or the handle of a wooden spoon and poke at the meat to release all the air bubbles. I place the seal the ring on the jar and process it in a pressure cooker at 10-15 # pressure for 1 hour.

It's that simple. The meat is so tender. I'm thinking of canning some other meats at well. (Maybe even some home-made veggie soup)!

Hope this helps you out. Have a good one!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

whole wheat bread

Sorry I am getting off the subject here, but thank you Anna for the whole wheat bread recipe. Now, my question is....please don't klunk me on the head But, can I make several loaves at a time and freeze the dough before baking???? and if so at what point would I freeze it??? Thank you again!!! This recipe sounds sooooo much easier than the one in the Mennonite Cookbook!!!!

Karen

Old 02-20-2003, 10:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks tons Chris. I really appreciate you telling me how to can meat.

I just quit working to stay at home with my kids about 1 year ago and I am finding out all sorts of new and exciting things. lol

I have really been working hard at getting my food storage up and last night my DH and I decided to start working on 72 hour kits as well.

Thanks again