Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hopefully some people in NC and SC have stocked pantries, no matter why they have them. We are in the midst of an ice storm with power outages for 12,000 people within 40 miles from my home. I have electricity and plenty of food, but I know some people who eat out 3 times a day. If they expect Micky D to provide sausage gravy biscuits and coffee tomorrow morning for breakfast, they might be sadly disappointed. The storm is North of me, but could just as easily have come 20 miles further South and affected my home.
I am not overly stocking my pantry, but my cupboards are full.
I worked for the govt. and I know there are things the public doesn't know, but I also feel that some of what we are told on TV we really don't need to hear.
I would just hope that people would do things in a reasonable manner and stocking a pantry for your family is a frugal thing to do when you see food on sale and a responsible thing to do.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:30 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

lmao Lifestar!! I will admit this whole "terrorist" thing makes me nervous. And I believe you should be prepared for anything(I volunteer in a shelter and those that come in w/ food and blankets of their own are appreciated--we can use our stuff for others). Yes, I have plastic and duct tape--leftover from sealing up my basement windows for the winter. I have a box of food and water by the door ready to go, but it's at the bottom of the closet, easily accessible but not the focal point of my home lol!! I try to keep my pantry full enough to cover a few months, but that's just because I like knowing if dh gets laid off again I don't have to worry about feeding the kids. Plus, if we get snowed in, I won't be one of those poor souls trying to get to the store before it closes!!

I keep emergency stuff because it makes me feel better. There are no guarantees I'll be able to grab it as we're leaving. But it takes less than 3 minutes to load everything into my trunk(not including the kids lol), so all I can do is pray and hope for the best in any situation!!
Old 02-17-2003, 06:33 AM

Me too

I think most of us on familycorner are prepared and have been working on stocking our pantries for awhile now. We here in Ohio are basicly snowed in, 70 % of our work staff couldn't make it in today, only those of us with 4X4 got in (something we looked at when we bought our truck and paid extra for) so that we could get where we needed to in Ohio weather. Anyways, parts of Ohio are without electricity and the lady who mentioned Mickey D's is so right on the money, I bet there are alot of people there with not much to eat, no flashlights or candles, no heat alternative and they are saying they will be without electricity for several days. We bought a kerosene heater during Y2K, have food pre cooked in the freezer, canned soups with snap top lids, crackers, homemade bread in the freezer, fresh fruits available as well as canned, graham crackers, etc. we might not have hot food but we would not go hungry. I also have bottle water, and water in the deep freezer and water for flushing our toilet, probably not as often as I would like to flush it but at least a cpl. times a day and with 1 foot of snow could get more from outside for that purpose Next summer, I am going to stock up on charcoal for the coming winter for these snowed in days, if I don't use them then they'll be available for cook outs the next summer. I too have been concerned about these "dirty" warfare attacks but don't think it's something that we can do a whole lot about but be prepared to "hole in" if we have to. Theres an extensive thread about this on frugalliving.com which might give you some good ideas, I have to warn you though alot of the people on that site are not very nice. Take care everyone, stay warm and safe.
Also, something everyone should be thinking of-have a pack for work, whether it be from a terrorist attack or snowed in, you should have something for work for at least a 24 hour stay. my coworkers said, we have vending machines.. I told her how long do you think that would last with 65 employee's? I have a weeks supply of slimfast powder with powdered milk in my desk, fresh fruit and packets of oatmeal with powdered milk so I could make due-I also have a thermos of coffee that I bring from home each day as does my husband. Better safe than sorry, we live 8 miles from home have to cross 2 rivers to get there.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 02-17-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna- Thanks for your reply. You are very well prepared and others would do well to read your post. When I was an essential employee, 4X4's were too available, 1960-1970's. But I don't remember ever being unable to get to work at the hospital in NJ. I lived in PA and had to cross a river to get there.
The storm yesterday was North of me so I am able to get out today with a little ice on my trees. There is no sense in trying to restock my pantry today as the store shelves are probably bare, no milk, eggs, bread, etc. in SC. I have enough and don't have to worry.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:31 AM

Extra Explanation

Blondie-

The 4X4, we drive alot of small streets that aren't salted or plowed very good and we found after having cars that we would spin out alot or get stuck going uphill. I mention the two rivers because it seems like every time theres an accident it's always on the bridges or right before you get on or off and there is no where to turn around once you get to a certain point (Grrr). I have been stuck for over an hour while they clear up accidents, rerouted takes you about 5 miles to the bridge over the river (Scioto) and of course, you have all the cars from reroute and the ones who normally use the alternate bridge, fun fun fun! I have learned almost everything I know about being prepared from this site alone, there is such a wealth of info. here. Have a good day everyone and stay warm.

Anna
Old 02-17-2003, 09:15 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think Lifestar helped put this into perspective.
I work at a hospital and usually food is not a problem since even if the nurses have to cook cooking gets done. They have at least a weeks worth of food, except for bread and other perrishables but then there is always powdered milk.
I got a container of shelf milk and a bag of dry milk to have in case, I also have dry eggs and dry egg whites.
I am glad I am stocked....right now I cannot get out either of my doors to get outside. The front door had a snow drift about 4 feets tall against it. and the back just has about 2 feet of snow in front of it. You cannot even see my car. Luckily I have a great neighbor and her son will clear out the front for me if nothing else so I will have one car to get out in. My DS is very ill 103 fever cough...sinuses vs flu...I am in clean mode...I took all the trash from his room, cleaned the cans and wiped the door knobs and will later change his sheets. He is too big for me to throw in the tub like I did when he was little...I may encourage him to shower since the stem may help him breathe.
I made him OJ and Blueberry muffins trying to get Vit C and something heathful in him.
see we do not need terrorists to need to be prepared.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Catlady, where do you find "dry eggs"? Those would be great to have around in case I ran out....or if we lost power & the ones in the fridge went bad.
TIA--
Old 02-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Like the rest of you, I just like feeling prepared (for anything). Aside from the frugalness (if thats even a word), I like the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment a full pantry gives me. I like knowing I don't have to "run out to the store" just to fix a nourishing meal for my family. I like teaching my children the art of being frugal and bring prepared.
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions and tips you've all posted here. I especially like the one about being prepared at work. I spend most of my waking hours away from home at work and somehow have neglected to be prepared in that respect. (I shall remedy that.)
Stay warm and stay safe!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb Common Sense

;-) Common Sense is the most important thing to take with you. I lived about a mile from 3 mile island when it blew up. The school officials told us to put our shirts over our mouths and run for the buses. We did and then put the windows down so we could see the plant better! The plastic/duct tape idea is silly. You can't get to a "safe" place fast enough for most of these bombs/chemicals. Use common sense and get there quickly and you'll be as safe as possible. Stock piling food /water is great but you need enough to last for weeks which is more than a week's worth for most chemical/bombs that the press is saying to plan for. I don't mean to be a wet blanket but common sense will get us farther than panicing and planning a social outing in our basements. This major snowstorm here in DE confirms that most people still appear to live in "never-never land". We have a Feed/Hay Business and are being bombarded with calls for feed/hay because they forgot to plan for the weather and my mother-in-law lives in town and says people are gettin in wrecks and stuck in drifts because they don't have any food in their houses.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I got the dry eggs at the bulk food store I shop....they are used a lot in the food industry. Also there is a product called Just Whites in the baking section, it is powdered egg whites and is great for doing sugared flowers etc cause it is pastuerized and no chance of salmanella.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!