Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-16-2003, 09:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Subee, I just wanted to say real quick that I am part Umatilla Indian. I was born in Sweethome but have not been back since I was little.

Okay, now back to the subject. My dh is a big hunter, we have canned Elk and deer meat from this past year. He was in OR hunting and left 1/2 of his deer with his Aunt, she traded him that for canned meat she had just finished doing.

We have lots of dehydrated and other prepackaged foods that he keeps stockpiled for his hunting/hiking forays. Lots of canned things and packaged things. I do not have a good supply of water though, I need to fix that.

I will probably not go overboard and store too much, but I will be prepared with the basics. I will have extra juices, water, snacks and such on hand. And I always have a large supply of things to do for the kids. The kids each have a rolling suitcase that we keep an extra set of p.j.'s, clothes and shoes in, plus a coloring book, crayons, and a couple of reading books.

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~
Old 02-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I kept wondering what I should do for bread if I cannot cook.....duh I finally thought crackers would be good, you can only eat so much PB right out of the jar. Any other suggestions?

didn't think of the ice but maybe I would if it was hot here, it is so cold you do not even need a freezer right now. but it would be good for the future.

I do not hunt or have anyone in my family who hunts, wish I did...I would put that meat up for sure. Makes me hungry reading your post 3msmom
have a safe day ladies,
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 02-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I keep my closets full off food. I like white albacore tuna, water packed, sardines in mustard sauce. Although I've never eaten tuna with mustard, my granddaughter does so I guess I could. I like mine with mayo. I have a lot of dry products that could be eaten without being cooked. I don't keep the freezer stocked full. I have some meals in the freezer. After volunteering with the Red Cross for 3 years in 2 different chapters, I found that in most diasters, you have to leave your home anyway. In a shelter, you are provided with a warm place to stay, food to eat, cooked for you, no dishes to wash as the volunteers to that, comfort kits (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, towel, washcloth, shaving gear, comb, etc.) So, I see no need to stock up on that stuff or have a bag ready to take me with anywhere. I was the Disaster Director for my church and have run a shelter. My husband is a Ham Radio Operator and took his equipment, so we had communications.
I am fortunate here that we have a Bargain Grocery store, with some bent and dent items. When I fill a grocery cart to overflowing, the most I've paid for a grocery order is $70. That does not include meat, but included bacon, milk, butter, eggs. An example of my savings is that a quart jar of Hellman's Light Mayo is $.50 not $2-3 which it is in the regular grocery store. A package of 10 oz. Mrs. Smith's cookies is $.50, $2.99 in the regular grocery store. I'm in the Upstate of SC, 1 1/2 hrs. from Asheville and 30 miles from the BMW plant near the Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Blondie19697: We have one of those stores in our area. I live in the country and it is less than 3 miles down the road. -Very convenient. Although you never really know what they'll be getting in.... things are cheap!

Campbells Soups 4/$1, Freschetta Pizzas with rising crusts $2.50, Regular size Ocean Spray 100% Juice .75....... They have brown eggs, cheese, some veggies, fruits and a frozen section that you can sometimes get chicken breasts, and other meats as well as ice cream, pie shells........ the list goes on. Like I said, you never know what they'll have until you stop in.

The store is called Food Warehouse but most people refer to it as "The Crash n Bang" or "The Bent n Dent". It's owned and run by Mennonites.

I didn't see it myself, but while we were out today we heard, by word of mouth, that on the news today there is a guy from Washington who totally wrapped his house in plastic and duct tape. -The whole outside. Don't you think that's a little much?
Old 02-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, wrapping your house in plastic and duct tape is ridiculous! I wonder how long he will be able to breathe in that "air-tight house"! I didn't buy into YK2 either.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I agree w/ blondie...I didn't buy into Y2K either...I did take advantage of the prices on the left overs the stores had stocked up on after Y2K had passed....I got lamp oil cheap, etc.
I shop at a place that sells in bulk so I usually do OK but there is one of those scratch and dent places not far from me, I should go more often...here I found they are opening another on my way to my fav store so maybe I will go more after they open, get what I can there then I know what else I need.
I am in PA and the only thing I am worried about is not being able to get somewhere it has snowed so much and also being separated from my DS. He is in college and I work in Philly 25 miles from my house. I would hate to be apart in a disaster. I am sure I would be needed at work ( hospital) but if I am home I am staying here. We are always given disaster planning stuff since I do not live too far from a nuclear power plant....so this is no diff than that I guess.
I may like to have a chnage of clothes w/ me.
Ruth

Old 02-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Catlady:
I'm originally from PA, living in SC for the last 27 yrs. except for the few years I had to go back to PA to find work and lived in VA 2 years after marrying. I volunteered for the Red Cross for 3 years, and I can tell you when your son is in college, he will be well cared for. I know it is worrysome to be apart, but when we had 10 days with no electricity in Lynchburg, VA, the girls took Daddy's gold credit card and got themselves a room in the Hilton. When my husband got out of work, he had a substation that gave them electricity at his plant, there were no rooms for us at the Hilton. I was also a student at the college, an older student. Those girls did fine!
I've been please to find that the items coming to the bent and dent grocery near me are of better quality, more overstocks now instead of dented cans. I do enjoy the variety since it is vast. WE have not gotten the horrible ice/snow storm in SC that was predicted. I understand just 20 miles north of me in Greenville, SC, they do have ice, so I'll have to cancel my plans to see my chiropractor tomorrow. I have enough food here for a long time and had no loss of electricity today as some in my county did. I have phone service and a cell phone, so keep in touch with my daughter who lives in Greenville County. I also have a battery radio to keep abreast of the weather and if I lose electricity will be in a Red Cross Shelter as soon as one is opened! I'm not a camper and have told everyone that although I do have a camp stove which I've never had to use.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I hope that you do not have to leave your home due to the storm.
My son lives at home and I hope he would be here and not at school. He works 2 miles from home so even there he would be OK. I am kind of worried about my pets...4 cats...I guess I can start leaving extra food out for them. They have a long way to go to starve....they are not fat but well fed.
I think Y2K was easier...it was a certain date to look for and then if everything went well, it was done this is so not definate and so not ending...never have been bothered before by such things but this is a little intimidating.
Ruth

Old 02-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ruth, your signature line says it all, "His Will be done" and we can focus on that. I, too, worked 25 miles from my home. I lived in Levittown, PA and worked at Ft. Dix, NJ. But I also worked in Phila. 25 miles from my home. One day it took me 2 hours to get home, a 35 min. drive after a heavy snow storm. At least, at Ft. Dix, they had childcare on post and my baby was just down the street from the hospital in which I worked.
The current storm in the Upstate of SC appears to be Northeast of me, so for the present time, I am safe. I am just prepared for any eventuality and am not worried. With the high winds last night, the warm weather and the cold front approaching, I thought we'd have to prepare for a tornado for there were watches in Ark and Ala. It was like summer here at 6PM, scary. We know that is a bad sign in the middle of winter, but the tornado never came here, just rain and now below freezing. There was some loss of electricity, but only for a few hours in my county, but not at my house. I think years ago, when this house was built, they put extra heavy duty electric wires in. I know when we had repairs under the house, instead of 2X4 boards, they are 4X8.
My motto is, "Always have a Plan B".
Old 02-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Exclamation "I'm Climbing on my Soapbox...Fair Warning!"

I know this thread is about menus...and pantry stocking...but what are we really talking about? What are we stocking and planning for?

Is it for when they "nuke" the power plant across the river from me?

Or for when the "cropdusters" are spraying aerosaled anthrax over your neck of the woods?

How about for when the "Smallpox martyrs" might have theoretically showed up at that Anti-war rally in NYC and infected dozens of unwitting people who then carried the disease back to yet other people who will soon spread the disease all over the world?

No, maybe it's for when the food and water supply becomes so contaminated by bio-weaopns that all our fresh food, milk, and water supplies are no longer safe to consume, and the shelved stock runs out.

Get real... If that's the case...duct tape, and tuna fish ain't gonna cut it anyway.

But, Good God, The real world just can't be that bad.. no matter what the terrorist scum would have us believe. Can it?

Yes, I know there is danger out there. Twenty years ago, when I was a NYC Paramedic, a "little bit" of pleutonium went missing from a shipment at LaGuardia airport. We were all put on alert status. We worked 16 hour shifts, everyone was in a high state of alarm. But the public never knew about it. My family knew to stay out of public places for the next few months. I made damn sure of that. But not *why* they had to ... I couldn't tell them that. Then some years ago, the Freedom of Information Act made all those sorts of doccuments public.... and it's really scary to know just how many of those kind of things happened all the time. Really scary. You don't need to have a terrorist at the gate to be terrified.

I'll tell you .. there's something to be said for that old experssion .."ignorance is bliss" Yessiree... But then again, them days are over..ain't they?

These days, I think that all Americans have to learn how not only how to survive in any situation, but how to thrive in them , and they have to teach their children those skills as well.

So in addition to teaching our children the art of hunting, camp cooking, wilderness hiking, orienteering and "pioneering home arts" as it is refered to by the local historical society....my husband and I are stocking canned food, and water, propane, and ammo, and prayers.

Will it make a difference? I have no clue. Some days I feel like I'm doing a scene from the movie "The Return of the Terminator".... But if the bastard says he'll "be back"... I'm going to be ready.

OK..Thank you for the use of your Soap Box... I think that's out of my system... For now...