Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-17-2003, 03:10 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Inventory is important lol!! You need to know exactly what you have before you can even start. I finally got a list going that I'm keeping on the inside of the door. One thing I found while stocking up last time was that I tend to over-buy things I don't use a lot of. (Ie--bbq sauce, canned beans, creamed corn). So then I was stuck trying to find uses for it all!! I'm hoping to keep it a bit more organized this time around. I even put the cans in alphabetical order according to type(pork n beans are in beans, not the "p's") to keep track of everything.

3msmom--I wish my mil would ante up some of her goodies. She makes the best stuff lol!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 03:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've been making a list of ways to use up certain foods like that. Sort of like a cookbook, but more like a list (with page numbers from other cookbooks) based on specific ingredients. One page for creamed corn, one for beans, one for bbq sauce, cornbread, etc.

For example, with creamed corn I have two things listed. First is to add it to corn bread mix and make cornbread. The other is a cornbread casserole my mom makes. It's a stick of butter, a can of corn, a can of creamed corn, a box of jiffy corn mix (3/$1.00), and a cup of cheese. Melt butter, mix together, and pop in the oven.

I ususally have all of these things on hand anyhow. If you melt the butter in the pan, you can even mix it in the pan you bake it in. Love those clean up shortcuts!

dawny
Old 02-19-2003, 07:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great ideas you guys! I will use them! I think keeping a book on how to use the extra odd things is a great idea. Also, I tend to have a surplus of things like canned beans, if I was more organized then I would already know what I have before I go shopping.

Almost everytime I get to the store, I buy more beans because I think, Oh, I'll make chili or soup, and then I don't get it done. I decide on something else for dinner.

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~
Old 02-21-2003, 09:12 AM

Greetings to my frugal buddies

Hi everybody-

So glad to have another thread that I have things in common with others. Mrs. Maniac, you just continue to amaze me with your resourcefulness. Wow.

Someone mentioned what to do with Taco Soup. you could do a casserole , make up rice, soup, frozen vegetables (cooked) mix and sprinkle cheese on top and pop in oven 350 for 1/2 hour.

Spaghetti sauce- use as a base for your chili beans or mix with canned or frozen veggies and make Chili or Vegetable Soup.

Anna
Old 03-22-2003, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm working on my April menu calendar and I'm trying to use up the ODD STUFF in my pantry. Any suggestions for cheap meals that include artichoke hearts, roasted red bell peppers, barley, graham crackers, or jelly? Thanks, dawny
Old 03-22-2003, 05:24 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have an awesome recipe for chicken artichoke pasta - it also tastes awesome without the chicken, uses sour cream and soup base. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post it.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

YES, I'd love to have the recipe. THX, dawny
Old 03-23-2003, 12:45 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Italian Chicken and Artichokes taken from Southern Living 2000

2 Tbs butter
1 garlic clove, minced
6 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. dry white wine or chicken broth
2 Tbs. grated parmesan cheese
6 oz. artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
hot cooked pasta - fettuccine or angel hair

Melt butter over medium high heat, add garlic and saute. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
Stir together soup and next 4 ingredients, spoon over chicken. Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes until chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
Stir artichokes into sauce, cover and cook 2 minutes until thoroughly heated.
Place chicken on pasta and spoon sauce over chicken..

Delicious. We love it.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:50 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

That sounds yummy!! I will have to buy some artichokes just to try it lol!! Those aren't something I usually keep--I'm the only one that likes them.