Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm not even buying fresh produce, unless it's a really good deal. The store here had 3lb bags of apples for .98--I found one that was almost 5 lbs and had fairly small apples. But I've got lots of canned fruit(from last summer) and some frozen. I do buy eggs and milk as needed--eggs are much cheaper than a box of cereal!!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:49 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

My biggest expense in a month is fruit & vegeatbles. Right now I am depending on canned and frozen veggies(prices are too high for no so good looking produce). I buy almost all of my fruits from Sam's. My family can eat fruit like there is no tomorrow. I just went to sam's on Saturday and this is what I bought.....8# of apples, 5# pears, a box of clementines, 2.5# of grape tomatoes, 6# bananas & a 5# bag of baby carrots. My family will eat all the pears, clementines, and bananas my next Friday. We are already into our 2nd bunch of bananas and I only have 2 pears left. we have eaten a pound of strawberries as well. I easily spend $$30 a week on fruits. I know that is alot. But I would rather my kids munch on fruit than chocolate.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:48 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh, I agree with that!! Chocolate is a rare treat in our house--I'd much rather spend the money on fruit!
Old 02-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Been eating leftovers. I've done as much as I think I want to with the leftover cauliflower though. I'm tossing it. Glad DH gets paid on Thursday as the natives are getting restless. I'm not going to buy much though!
Old 02-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pantry Challenge

LuvMyFF That's a great term "pantry challenge". I do that some months, but didn't have any cute name to give it on my menu calendar. I think I'll adopt it! Dawny
Old 02-04-2003, 06:16 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dawny~ I can't take credit for the name. I got it from one of my lists that I belong to. I am now starting it full fledged. I just don't want to have to move all of the stuff.

Chrissy
Old 02-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mrs Maniac

I don't know if you have these stores in MI where you are, but we have one called Randazzos in Wayne. They are supurb for fruits and vegs both in season and out of season. That is all they carry and their prices are great.

I haven't been in a long time but I should make a trip there this weekend.

I go to one Krogers where they are 1.79 per lb and the Meijers is 1.29 per lb but Randazzos is usually under $ 1 per lb or so many for a particular price. Worth the trip if you don't have to go to far.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:08 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh--I used to go there all the time! I loved it--I wish there was one up here. But there is a year-round farmer's market just up the road. The owners grow the produce in their greenhouses and own ther own truck for moving the stuff, so the prices are very reasonable! Bananas there are 4 lbs/$1--everywhere else they are .59/lb. Apples are .89/lb, carrots .49/lb....very good prices considering it's Februaury lol!!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm going to do the pantry challenge also. My pantry is completely full but I know there are some strange things in there also. I will use it all up though. My freezer is stocked with venison and elk and chicken. I also have a bunch of other stuff in there. My Mom gave me 5 loaves of banana bread, 5 loaves of zucchini bread and then about 10 smaller loaves of pumpkin bread and banana bread with coconut and chocolate chips. And she had also baked about 5 different kinds of cookies and wrapped them up in packages of 2 doz. then she froze them. And 4 kinds of fudge and brownies each. We have slowly been working on those. Plus, she gave me all her flour, sugar and other baking supplies, all her spices and extracts. She said she wanted to lose weight and was not planning on baking again until the holidays.

I'm sure if I planned right, I could make everything last a month. I should take an inventory of what I have first, then plan from there.

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~
Old 02-16-2003, 01:45 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

LeeAnn, doing an inventory is a very good idea. I need to do that too. Thanks for the reminder!

Chrissy