Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 02-15-2002, 05:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

[B][I][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=royalblue]Hi Amanda..
So glad to be able to stop by.. I don't have much time to surf and visit like I would want to.. but this caught my eye..
Glad to help..
Have a great day..
Old 02-15-2002, 01:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Snacks on 2 week menu

Hi,
I have read this thread with interest as I had to start using a 2 week menu and a very strict budget. $150 week for 5. I have twin boys 12 yrs and a 14 yr daughter who often bring their friends home to raid my house after school.

I learned very quickly in the beginning to sit my kids down and tell them the truth. We have only what we have. You may not snack on Dinner items nor Lunch box items.

I supply them with Top Ramen soup, popcorn, and cheese and crackers for their snack now and they know exactly what is theirs. Then, when it is gone, it is gone until the next grocery trip!

a peanut butter sandwich or piece of fruit are always an option.

This has helped me. I also plan a menu for the entire month and save it in excell. I did this for 3 months at first, now I select menu items and cut and paste them into the current 2 week plan. This way we have variety while maintaining the "Normal" foods we eat. (which stay stocked up) :-)
Good luck! :-)

Old 02-17-2002, 06:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I saw there are a lot of replies, but this is a subject I am adament about. I have two small children at home and a husband. We have swimming lessons, speech therapy, school, errands, and a weekly housecleaning job (at my moms). By the time I get home I'm too tired to have to think about what to cook or go to the store. I sit down once a week and write out on a scratch piece of paper the days of the week. I choose 3 cookbooks each time and quickly glance through them. I look for inexpensive, and not a lot of ingrediants. I only do a weeks shopping at a time because the produce can go bad so quickly and it ends up costing double to replace it for the menu. I hardly ever do the "convenience" pre-packaged foods though. I vary my menus to avoid getting bored. I don't "stick" to the menu. I may choose to cook tuesdays dinner on Saturday there is flexibility there. This weeks menu ie: is Spicy mustard steak tips, potato salad / Tuna Casserole, rolls from freezer/ chicken Dijon, rice, salad/ Phili Sandwiches, chips/ heart shaped meatloaf , roasted potatoes/ meatball soup. I never did get to the meatball soup (I took the kids to the movies instead)
As far as snacks for the kids, there is a ready supply of apples, carrots, string cheese (bought only on sale), easily baked cookies, crackers. I do have candy but only 1 or 2 pieces in the course of the day (hard candies).
No soda (too spendy for kids to drink), koolaid water and juice. Because I have learned to have this organization in my life I am able to put the kids to bed at a decent time, and have the evening to read relax or take a bath. Ahhhh life is good. .
Old 02-17-2002, 05:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny
Hi ya!! Thanks Tammy for your suggestion, I can use all the help I can get lol. Here's another question for you girls. I'm finding that I spend alot on snacks for lunches and then when my kids get home from school they are hungry, so again they dive into the snacks, how do you all manage that and what can I do to cut down on the amount of money i'm spending on "extra's"? Thanks again
Karen
Hi Sunny hope i'm doing this right this is my first time doing anything like this. My son is usually starved when he comes home from school and we have alot of fresh fruit on hand and every now and then he well ask for cookies and milk or even a half can of soup well do him fine. hope this helps you. Tammy
Old 02-17-2002, 05:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just trying

I am just trying to see if I can post a reply. I couldn't this afternoon
Old 02-17-2002, 05:38 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Looks like it worked! LOL
Old 02-18-2002, 03:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi...I just wondered...Is there a site ..showing a Print out of a Menu Planner? Thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 07:16 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by DeborahDee
Hi...I just wondered...Is there a site ..showing a Print out of a Menu Planner? Thanks
Try this!
http://householdnotebook.com/forms/home/menupln.html
Old 02-18-2002, 09:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by mamag7
[B][I][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=royalblue]Hi Amanda..
So glad to be able to stop by.. I don't have much time to surf and visit like I would want to.. but this caught my eye..
Glad to help..
Have day.. :a great daisy:
Hi Tammy here i guess for the first time i did okay but boy am i always nerves about talking like this. We have are computor for about 2 years and this is my first time going in to something like this and talking never been in any of the chats. Guess i thought it was time to be brave and venture on and make some new friends.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome to the boards Tammy! Don't be shy...jump right in. Everyone here is really great. If you need any help just ask Amanda or one of the other moderators or feel free to ask me!

This is a great place for your first online chat venture! We are very glad to have you here!