Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 10-10-2002, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Packed Lunches

Does anyone out there pack lunches for their DH every day? I need some suggestions, as I run out of ideas. He has a microwave at work, so that helps alot. I send leftovers from time to time. Today he took chili and a salad. ;-) I like to try and get it ready at night because we get up at 4:30, and I am not into fixing lunches at that time of the morning!!

Also would like some "on the run" breakfast ideas that he can eat on his way to work. He is getting tired of bagels, egg sandwiches, and burritos. Pam
Old 10-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

here is a recipe I use for breakfast and Hubby really likes it.
I also pack his lunch every day too.Some times I send a wrap a large torillia with either turkey, roast beef,Ham, I put some type of mayo down first way out to the edge and then layer lettuce cheese and the meat and roll up the mayo makes it stick together.I also send him peanut butter and jelly every so often. and he likes it. I always send fruit and usually pretzels.
This recipe below.I usually bake more than One batch and then I freeze them then take out one each night .You should keep them in the refidge if not freezing they will spoil setting on the counter.

You can change the craisins to raisins or cut up apricots.(about 6) or mini chocolate chips.
Hope this helps

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Oatmeal Muffins = WW 3 pts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup skim milk
1 each egg white
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup Craisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients and then put in the rest of the stuff.

Let is set 5 MINUTES Then put in 6 sprayed muffin tins Reg. size.
Bake 325 for 45 minutes.

Description:
"Muffins"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; 2g Fat (8.7% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 157mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Old 10-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking bag lunches

I usually cook a roast - pork or beef, or a chicken or turkey every week and then make sandwiches - thus avoiding all the salt, cost, etc. involved with reg. lunchmeats. My husband also likes nuts and dried fruit, crackers with almond or cashew butter, cheeses and crackers, applesauce, cranberry sauce, or other fruit sauces, which I make from scratch, also pickles, olives and raw veggies; these add a lot of variety. Sometimes I send a baggie of homemade granola, chocolate kisses and of course, cookies as treats. I also include his daily multi-vitamin. He said it's these little extras that make him feel so loved. He made my day when he told me that! Hope these suggestions help.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:26 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi.

For breakfast on the run there are a few things that you can do. There are breakfast sandwiches, breakfast burritos, granola bars, and muffins. You could make a double or triple batch of one and then freeze them. All he has to do in the morning is nuke it and he can finish getting ready or make coffee while waiting for it.
If you have a crockpot there are some breakfast dishes taht you can cook in them while you sleep. They won't be on the go type foods, but they wouldn't require you to do any cooking in the morning.

I also pack dh's lunches. I have made him quesadillas, chili dogs, pizza subs(spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, ground beef in crockpot for a few hrs. Then put on a roll and topped with provolone cheese). You could always spice up the ordinary sandwich by choosing different types of breads, pita, biscuits, bagels or others.

I hope that this helps.

LuvMyFF
Old 10-13-2002, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank You so much for all the good ideas. Sometimes I get in a rut, and forget about different things to fix. (I have been packing lunches for over 45 years, you would think I would have it all down pat by now. DH loves flour tortillas, and would eat ANYTHING I put in one right down to spaghetti ! One day I rolled a hot dog up in one, with coney sauce, cheese and onions, and he LOVED it. He loves the wraps also. I am starting a notebook on lunch ideas and breakfast ideas, and dinner ideas (menus) starting with all the ideas mentioned here. I am so happy I found this site (FAMILY CORNER.COM) back in March. It is my all time favorite. It is such a great bunch of women here. Cafe
Old 10-15-2002, 03:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb breakfast on the run

I raised 6 kids and had to find quick and easy ways to give them something to munch on the way to the bus stop every day so some of the things I came up with were,
1: omelette packs: make thier favorite omelette mix and put it in a pita pocket,
2: my kids love sausage egg and cheese pockets. I use my sandwich maker (electric sandwich maker) and put the bread in buttered on the outside like making a grilled cheese and put in a mixture of scrambled eggs, cheese, and sausage or bacon then put the top peices of bread and close the sandwich maker till done, the whole breakfast is enclosed with sealed edges and they can eat with one hand and carry books or drive with the other without getting a mess all over them or thier belongings.
3: the last idea I have is to take the texas toast and cut it into strips about an inch think dip each strip in french toast batter and cook,. put french toast sticks in a ziplock and shake with sugar, after they are good and coated put into sandwich baggies in serving size and as everyone leaves the house all they have to do is grab a baggie and head out, no syrup and no messes just a good wholesome breakfast.

I hope you find these ideas helpful
Max
Old 10-15-2002, 04:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Breakfast on the run

Great ideas, Max. Thank You so much for posting them. I had never thought of any of these. My DH will be so happy to see some changes. Bless his heart, he NEVER complains, it is me that gets tired of fixing the same things over and over.
Cafe
Old 10-15-2002, 05:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband always loved the small loaves of banana bread. Instead of using a muffin tin, use the small loaf pans and he won't have to keep up with but just one item. Another one that he always like was beans and cornbread for lunch. He was raised on brown beans and would heat them in the microwave at work. Somthing that I used to do that really made him feel special was to make him little notes and place them in his lunch. He never knew when I was going to send one so they were really neat to get. He worked at a braick yard operating a fork lift. I would come by there sometimes and find him quickly kiss him, give him a rose, and tell him when he asked why. "Just because. . ." It amazed his coworkers when he would get ready to go home and have a rose. I sent him flowers now and then also. He has been gone for five years now but I do know how much he loved getting those things. We were married 28 years and I know that it thrilled him to get a note or a flower as much as it did me. Put a few kisses and hugs candies in there with a note telling him these will have to do until he gets home. Talk about coming home in a good mood!!!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:04 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

MaLew--
What wonderful memories! I only hope I have such wondrful memories of my husband and the things I did to make his day better in years to come. Thank you for sharing!!

OmommyO
Old 10-16-2002, 05:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Soup beans and cornbread...Great idea. DH loves them!! I know what you mean about the notes, cards etc. I make little cards up on the computer, from time to time, and slip in his lunch box. He said it always "puts a smile on his face" and he loves them.
Thank you for sharing about the rose. that was so sweet. Sounds like your DH had a gem .