Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 09-04-2002, 09:31 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Those pre-made lunch things are so full of sodium that you're probably lucky she doesn't really like them. You can make all those things from scratch about as easily as throwing the pre-made box in her lunch bag anyway.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-04-2002, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~Gloria~

I cook the hot lunch food as she is eating breakfast. The thermos heats, full of boiling water from the tea kettle. Before I put the food into the thermos I make sure it reads AT LEAST 160*F. with an instant read thermometer. This way, I have a margin for cooling. But a good sign of heat is cook it till it's bubbling. (This is a temp of @180*F, so by the time the food hits the thermos, it's @160*F.)

If you are concerned, you could get yourself an instant read thermometer from a kitchen supply store...(Bed Bath and Beyond carries them too.) They are about $16.00. They're great for bbq-ing too.

Food storage is OK below 40*F and above 140*F. So if you pack the food nice and hot in a pre-heated thermos, it should keep just fine.

The other thing I do, is to use something to separate any cold drinks from the hot thermos. A piece of cardboard, or a bunch of folded paper towels. I don't know if it's necessary but I think it helps prevent heat transfer.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I wouldn't think there would be any danger to any sort of meat in the thermoses unless a) the thermos did not keep things properly to temperature (hot or cold) or b) the food itself was not properly to temperature. I think if things are cold when they are put in (or heated well; I always nuke mine to hot), and especially if you preheat the thermos (if putting in hot foods) there should be no problem. You might try testing your thermos first the way that was suggested earlier, and if it's fine, I don't think there would be any problem. That's just my opinion though! Let's just say I've never experienced any problems with itI don't want to be responsible for anyone else getting food poisoning because of what I say! ha
Old 09-04-2002, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

About the hot dog in a thermos..I read a tip somewhere from a woman that said to put the weenie in warm water in the thermos and pack the bun with the condiments separately (now there is a use for those mustard and ketchup packets!)

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 09-05-2002, 04:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

One more meal deal

One other meal deal that my kids thought were cool was a bit of meat (like a cut up smokie link) a chunk of cheese and a chunk of dill pickle on (The Key to this all.) a tooth pick. I'd send four or five on these sticks in their lunch. Also, when sending hot dogs in a thermos, be sure to only fill it part way with hot water. I didn't want my kids to get soaked when trying to get it out. It can be tricky.
Happy Eatting

Sue
Old 09-05-2002, 06:38 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Those little kabobs sound like fun. I'll try that this year. Thanks for the idea!

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-07-2002, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

My DS gets tired of sandwiches too! I have tried different shaped buns, cheese,meat, &crackers. One item that he did like was a four tortilla wrapped sandwich. I would place his favorite lunch meat and roll the tortilla up. A nice tube sandwich...he took one everyday last year for lunch. Now our children have less than 30 mins for lunch so hot foods take to long to eat, the same problem with going thru the hot lunch line.

janet
Old 09-07-2002, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~inexpensive alternative~

Occasionally I would send my 6 year old with "bugs on a stick" for lunch...
Now don't get grossed out...it was a Girl Scout recipe.

I used those tiny Tupperware containers...put a few TBS of peanut butter in one, some crushed up trail mix in the other ( granola, raisins, walnuts) and packed celery slices and pretzle logs for her.

She would dip the celery and pretzle logs in the peanut butter and then in the trail mix, and voila! "bugs on a stick"!

As an occasional lunch, she enjoyed it a lot. Accompany it with a milk, and it's pretty nutritious too, (compared to the pre-packaged stuff she usually eats). For desert I give her an apple or a pudding cup.

Her friends wanted bug on a stick too...I got calls from class parents asking what the heck it was! lol!

I wonder what your kids would think of it?

Val
Old 09-08-2002, 05:33 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Val-

What a wonderful idea!!! I can't wait to try those for lunch. I think my boys will love them. Thanks for the great idea!

OmommyO
Old 09-08-2002, 03:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

lunches

I have 3 childen to make lunches for and at times have had to get creative. I have done the soup in a thermos or boil the hot dogs and put them in a thermos. bagel and cream cheese,pepperoni cheese and crackers, tuna fish with nachos for scooping, bacon lettuce and tomatoe,peanut butter and banana(sometimes and jelly). then the usual turkey, ham and cheese,pastrami,(sometimes) very occasionally baloney, or salami.hope that has helped