Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Assistant Moderator

keeping your food inventory current

I really need help with this. How do ya'all keep everything current? I am thinking a notebook in the kitchen...... and one in the garage by the freezer.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Nine Year Member

For canned goods I just put the newest in the back so the oldest is up front to be used up. I have them in rows by type like corn, green beans, tomatoe soup, etc.

For the freezer I have a running inventory on the refrigerator that I update from the grocery receipt each week and most of the time scratch it off when taken out of the freezer. I also put the newest in the back of the freezer and keep like items on the same shelf. Veggies are on the top shelf with like together, then a shelf of beef, chicken, pork, etc.

Roberta
Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Assistant Moderator

I need to do better with my running inventories.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I keep a running list in my day planner, that is where I make menus. So I add and cross off weekly. I do the canned goods the same as Roberta.
I also clean out the freezer every few months because others put the food away for me. I do the freezer by shelves, poultry on one, pork on another etc. When it is just me doing it I can get by with once a year

Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Nine Year Member

The running list in a day planner is good. My pantry is not that large, compared to the one I had in our previous home. I got spoiled with that one! And the refrigerator in this one is a side by side. I can't find anything easily on either side. So I need a good plan all around.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I keep a note book of what is in my freezers. I have 1 box freezer and 1 upright. I keep the notebook in my kitchen. I use the notebook to help me plan my meals and my grocery list.

I just cross off and every month or 2 I rewrite the list.

I have my list grouped. All Beef then Chicken, Pork, etc. Then the 2nd page I have all my veggies, etc.

This helps so much when you go grocery shopping and you see a good deal. This way I don't end up with 6 bags of frozen corn and no peas.

My pantry isn't to bad. So I just check that every 2 weeks when I go do my grocery list.

I keep an on going grocery list in my kitchen. That way when I do run out of items. We write them right on the list. That way I don't forget. Everyone in the house adds stuff to my list.

Charlotte