Meal/Menu Planning Software?

• Does anyone know of a good menu planning software? I am less interested in entering in a ton of recipes, and more interested in finding something where I can list all my main & side dishes and meal categories and drag and drop or otherwise compile a meal plan each week from the lsits. I'd also like a convenient way to make a shopping list for items I'm likely to need for these meals (not EVERY ingredient in the recipes). Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • Hi vosobo and welcome to Family Corner!

I use a recipe program called Mastercook which is published by Valusoft (earlier editions were published by Sierra, but only the new one works with WinXP). It does almost all the things you want. The only thing it does not do well is the shopping list part. You will get a total list of all ingredients. I guess you would have to pare it down from there.

You can import recipes from emails or other sources, put them in your own "cookbook" and then drag them into a special area to generate a menu/shopping list/publish a little cookbook of just those recipes.

I have used this program for about 9 years now and am on my 3rd version. It's wonderful.

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your time here at FC!
  • Barbszy, where would one get this program? Do you know if Staples has them?

Maryann
  • I got it in CompUSA or Best Buy, can't remember which. You can also get it here:
    http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html
    This is the publisher's website. Amazon also has it.
  • Thanks Barbszy, This looks like something that will help me.

Maryann
  • If you do get it, I hope you like it as much as I do!
    There is a shortcut to "importing" recipes from emails, the web, Family Corner and other e-sources. If any Mastercook user out there wants to know that shortcut you can feel free to PM me.