Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 04-09-2002, 05:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have a system in our church for when a new baby is born. At least the first week that mom is home with the new baby, she gets a whole week of dinner. We sign up for which day and usually list what we are going to bring. We do the entire meal: main, side, salad, dessert. It's so nice not have to cook for a week. (I'm looking forward to it in Sept! hint hint! lol) I plan on making some frozen meals before my due date just so i have something for after that first week!

Also right now we take turns taking a meal to an elderly couple in our church. We sign up a month or so in advance. Usually have to do an entire dinner too. Sometimes we take over frozen items so that the caretakers have something for another day.

As this is all church related we get our dishes back. Sometimes I do use disposable ones.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

shocking

twice a year our church helps out the local shelter by supplying dinners(suppers). The group at church posts a menu and divides it up into meat/veggiesand dessert. Everyone take a part on one day or if it is a costly meal 2 people may split it. In fact this week is our week and I will be making potroast with potatoes and carrots, I will make enough for 1/2 and there is another lady who will make the other half. I usually buy the throw away pans for mine so I do not have to worry about getting them back.
Now if it is a neighbor or friend who has had a loss, I usually make a casserole and deliver it in my usual pan and retrieve it later, unless it was my lasagna that I usually make extra of in freeze in the throw away alluminum pans.
I think one full meal is enough, but then if it is very close friend I may also buy drinks and fruit etc.
If you live near an outlet or if you are lucky enough to catch a sale it is always in good taste to give a Stouffers family size dinner. A friend of mine always bought an extra mac and cheese when she went to the outlet so she was always prepared with a meal when needed. The outlet also has the food service sizes so they can feed a large family or crowd.
Good Luck....
wouldn't it be nice if more neighbors did this for each other? This is becoming a lost art.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by catlady101
wouldn't it be nice if more neighbors did this for each other? This is becoming a lost art.
Absolutely! I have two friends who gave birth recently (as did I) and we all cooked for each other, but those two friends were the only ones who gave us meals. And it made such a difference for us!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A friend of mine just had a baby and I made her a pasta dish that lasted several nights along with hot herb butter bread and homemade cookies with baby items stamped on them (they are at Michaels). I have also made pecan crusted chicken with a rice and vegetable dish and individual chocolate mousse pies.

I usually use my own containers and then pick them up at a later date.

On a previous post someone mentioned including paper plates, napkins and plastic utensils. What a good idea. I'll have to remember that next time.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Assistant Moderator

When I had major surgery this summer, a friend brought me a whole meal - spaghetti with meatballs, salad, salad dressing, drinks and dessert. It was a Godsend! She used her own dishes and I returned them with a thank you note.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa