Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping If you plan out your meals, grocery shopping bills can be sliced and diced!

Old 07-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I totally overwhelmed myself with coupons. I traded with autumn, got some from neighbors, got a shoebox, and totally burned out on them. I ended up throwing away, some even unclipped about 2 months worth. I am going to try again, this time on a much smaller scale. Simple, simple, simple.....I need to keep telling myself that.

I am in such a rut when it comes to cooking. I have soooo many cookbooks, and so many recipes, and of courst, internet access which has cajillions of recipes. So, when it is time for suppper, why am I scratching my head on what to cook?

Whenever I get into this rut, I pull out a couple of my favorite cookbooks, plan a meal, and, now in the summer, I cook early, b/c 5:30 in the afternoon is the hottest part of the day here, and it does not help having the oven on.

Hubby suggested a family favorites file. So, I went thru, found all of our 'favorites', and put them in a big envelope. This helps sometimes, too, and also when I need to cook something for a potluck or someone is ill.

Keep fiddling around with the coupons and menu planning, you will find your own way. The folks on this board are great and helpful.

Be blessed,
beckie
Old 07-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love coupons!!!!!! I too buy a lot of store brands but clip and file away for those just in cases. Like to day when I noticed at the store that Frenches Spicy Mustard was on sale for .99 and I had a ( well not "a" but 6) .50 coupons which the store doubled. Free is always nice.
I keep my sorted but catagory, side dishes, frozen, laundry, dish, baking etc. in an empty wipie box with dividers. That box gows with me just about everywhere.

Now on dinners. I make out a monthly menu. I have a well stocked on sale items pantry and freezer and use that for my menu and then resotck with the current months sales. I shop weekly to get the best deals on the loss leaders.

I have a calander I printed out and note the meal and if it is in a cookbook or magazine the issue and the page. If a computer recipe I note cp (computer printout.) I put those in a seperate pile when I place them on the menu to find them faster.
On the back of the menu I make as many columns as there are Mondays in the month and keep a running grocery list of the stuff I run out of.
I keep all of this in a binder. (I use those clear sheet protectors and mark them. One for each major holiday adn one for general recipes. That way when I find computer printouts for recipes (or even crafts) I want to try out I put them in the right sheet protector. The general one is for those recipesI have placed on the menu. My binder has a pocket in the front and back. Here I place the weeks store adds and any magazines for menu items, ( I am fond of Taste of Home and Quick Cooking).
I am a "list person" so also have my weekly list of things to do and the kids chore lists in the binder.
I use those return envelopes for my grocery lists and then put the coupons I plan to use that trip in the envelope.

We try to go out to dinner about once a month and I always "schedule"it on to the menu. This helps me to keep form grabing take out to often. When I know we will be going out on such and such a date I can wait.
Good luck. Hope this helps some.
I have another meal idea I will post seperatly.
Smiles to you and yours
Denise

Last edited by Denise6333; 07-05-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Another way to keep from eating the same meals over and over.
On index cards write every meal you can imagine, one per card. No matter how simple You will be surprised how many there actually are. On the back I would write any side dish suggestions.
Shuffle the cards then place them in a box that has one divider. Every week randomly pick out 7 cards. Those are your menu items for that week. Place those 7 cards behind the divider in the box. Keep going week after week until you have used up the cards then re shuffle and start over. New recipes to try get a card of thier own with a notation as to where to find the recipe.

Smiles to you and yours,
Denise
Old 07-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Wow, Denise, that is a fantastic idea. I think I might try that. Thank you for sharing.

Be blessed,
beckie
Old 07-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello!

Check Cutouthunger.org

Great site for couponing ideas!
Old 07-12-2004, 06:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I didnt had time to read all the posts, so I hope I'm not repeating something somebody already said... thing is, I was making a planner for the kids to know when it's their turn to set the table, do the dishes, sweep the kitchen, etc., and I went to check on calendars on one of my favorite sites. There, I found some printables that might interest you... so, go to http://www.organizedhome.com/printable_forms_9.html

While on the site, also check the article on meal planning http://www.organizedhome.com/content-50.html

Hope you like it !

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 07-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

For my older three children ( 5, 7, 10 yo's) to help out at dinner time, I made a spiner from a paper plate and three arrows I cut out of paper and fastened to the center. I divided the plate into three sections: set table, clear table and put away. I then keep the spinner in a small/medium basket. Into this basket during the course of the day I drop any small items I find around the house that will need to be put up, a lego here, a barbie shoe there, a hair clip etc. (Little things I find but don't feel it necessary to call the kids form thier activies to put away at that moment) Then at dinner while the one sets the table, another puts the stuff in the basket where it all belongs, then after dinner the thrid clears the dirty plates. We rotate the spinner one section every night.
Smiles to you all
Denise
Old 08-11-2004, 08:22 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Denise--that is a very cool idea!! My two are always squabbling over who gets to help with what!! A spinner would give them equal ops lol!!

I do my meal planning/shopping a bit differently. I tend to buy the same items all the time and use them in different ways to keep our meals interesting.(Hamburger for tacos, lasagna, spaghetti, etc) I don't use many coupons but when I do I try to find a store that doubles them and use them for sale items. I shop at the same couple of stores all the time so I don't use a price book, but I ALWAYS have my shopping list. I go through the entire fridge/freezer/pantry and make my list of the things I need, then I check the sales flyer and note the store any item is on sale, and then I check my coupons and note if I have one so I don't forget to use it lol!! I have an envelope that I put rebate forms in in case I get one of those, too. Then when I shop, I stick to the list!! I shedule a "big trip" to the store every few months to stock up on the things we use constantly--this varies according to when the good sales are. I tried taking a few extra dollars with me, just in case I found a good buy, but if I didn't find one I'd spend the extra anyway....so I don't do that any more lol!! I have a hard time hanging onto cash so the best trick for me is to take the amount I need and leave the rest at home lol!!
Old 09-06-2004, 05:58 AM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I need some help here. I clip coupons, however.....I hardly ever use them....it's not that I don't bring them with me to the grocery store and I do check to see if I have one for the things I am purchasing, I do. It just seems that I don't have the coupons for what I am buying. I do make menus, I plan a grocery list and stick to it...so I really don't know what I am doing wrong.

I stock up when things are on sale...never seem to have a coupon to go along with those items though. Our newspaper is VERY skimpy with the coupons and we only get them in the Sunday paper. I print coupons out from the computer but I really only have one site I go to....BHG...and they hardly ever have any I need.

I feel I am spending way too much for just my hubby and I for groceries. I go to the commissary most of the time. I also go to Super Wal Mart....I only go to the Food Lion near my home when I have to because it is so expensive...yet if I go to the one across the street from the Super Wal Mart, things are cheaper there. Same as with the Winn Dixie...go to the older one and not the newer one for the same reason. I don't, however, go to all 3/4 stores every week...that to me is foolish and not cost effective.

We do have a bread store in town...they don't carry the bread we eat.

See my dilema?!!!

I need help!! Any and all will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 07:02 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kellydid, My Club may be your answer??? If you email me, I can give you the information concerning it.