Basic Cookie Mix

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I have not tried this one yet...... but I have a bunch of chocolate chips in the fridge and plan to make a few batches of choc chip cookies this weekend!

Basic Cookie Mix

8 cups all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    3 cups vegetable shortening

In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt and baking soda until well blended. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Put in a large airtight container. Label and store in a cool, dry place for up to 12 weeks. Makes aboout 16 cups of Basic Cookie Mix.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 cups Basic Cookie Mix
    3 TBSP milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 egg
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1/2 nuts or coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Grease baking sheets. In large bowl combine cookie mix, milk, vanilla and egg. Blend well. Stir in chocolate chips, nuts and/or coconut (if desired). Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
  • Peanut Butter Cookies
    3 cups Basic Cookie Mix
    1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup chunky-style peanut butter

Peheat oven to 375F (190C). Lightly grease baking sheets. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Blend well. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on prepared baking sheets and flatten with fork tines. Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are browned. Makes 30-36 cookies.

Variation:

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies: On baking sheets, press thumb into center of balls. Do not flatten. Fill with grape jelly.
  • Snickerdoodles
    2 1/2 cups Basic Cookie Mix
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cream of tartar
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400F (205 C). In a medium bowl, combine cookie mix, baking soda, cream of tartaar and egg. Mix well. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small dish. Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly. Bake 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned with cracked tops. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
  • Oh bless your heart! I used to have this recipe (haven't tried it yet either) and lost it. Thank you so much for posting it! I am definitely going to try it, printing it now
  • I made the chocolate chip cookies today and they are wonderful!!
  • Move over Toll House! I made the chocolate chip cookies and they are awesome! I doubled the recipe and made 4 dozen cookies to take to school for my youngest ds's class! They are sure to be a hit!
  • Yeah they are great, one BIG problem though......

I KEEP EATING THEM!!!

LOL
  • Oh I know what you mean Amanda! I had to hide them in the cupboard!
  • It's about time for me to make a new batch of this! ;-)
  • OMG Amanda I have been staying away from here cause I'm dieting and I can't eat this stuff! I really need to bake some cookies for my guys this weekend! Ugh!