Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Master Mixes Recipes for homemade baking mixes, cake mizes, and everything in between!

Old 01-26-2002, 08:41 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oatmeal Cookie Mix

This mix will keep for quite a while in a sealed container, but during hot and humid months, keep it in the refrigerator ;-)

If you have a large family, or just really like cookies, I suggest doubling this master mix recipe!

Oatmeal Cookie Master Mix

3 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 c shortening
3 c old fashioned uncooked rolled oats
1/2 c raisins

optional: chopped dates, peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, chopped walnuts

In large bowl sift together dry ingredients EXCEPT the rolled oats. Cut in shortening with two butter knives or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in rolled oats and raisins (or any other fruits or chips you choose). Will keep up to five months on the shelf in a tightly covered container.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:13 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Variations

Vanilla Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups of oatmeal cookie mix
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt

Measure mix into large bowl. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Let rest for a few minutes and grease cookie sheet(s). Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and bake in 350 F oven for 10 minutes for chewy cookies.

Yield 2 dozen cookies

Apple Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 c cookie mix
1/2 c grated apple
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or apple pie spice

Mix and bake as you would for the Vanilla Oatmeal Cookies above.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Are these soft Cookies

Amanda

Are these oatmeal cookies soft? My husband loves oatmeal rasin cookies, but he loves them soft. I am having a hard time finding a soft recipe.

Also the recipe you says lasts for 5 months. Is this a single recipe? Do you make ahead say several amounts in separate containers? I hope I am not totally confusing you I am trying to ask a question and I am confusing myself!

Go figure that one out.

Thanks

Jackied
Old 01-27-2002, 12:26 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

No problem jackied :-)

This mix recipe I actually received from a friend and haven't tried it yet. BUT I did buy the ingredients I need when I went grocery shopping today, so I will let you know how these turn out, whether or not they are soft are hard!

As for the shelf life, this is a master mix. It makes more than one batch. So you make the mix and store it in a container until you want to make a batch of cookies. When you are ready to make a batch, follow the instructions for the Vanilla or Apple cookies. Then store the remainder of the master mix until you want to make another batch.

Old 01-27-2002, 12:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Thanks for the Help

I look forward to finding out if this is soft or hard. I will tell you what a ding bat I am - I read the other 2 oatmeal cookie recipes but it never dawned on me that they contained the mix.

I get it !! I get it!! I am so sorry. I am having sinus problems today and I think that is why I am not thinking straight.

Thanks for keeping me straight!!
Old 01-27-2002, 06:48 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

LOL No problem at all! What just dawned on ME is the fact that there isn't a PLAIN oatmeal cookie recipe, just the master mix then recipes for the vanilla and apple. Oh well, should be good anyway! I didn't make them today, too pooped. Hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow!!
Old 01-28-2002, 01:17 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ok jackied, so far they are CHEWY! :-) However, I made a couple of changes to my original posts above. The master mix is kind of small, IMHO. I am going to make a double batch next time.

AND in the recipes it had originally said to bake for 15 minutes, but I took them out after ten and they were perfect. Nice and chewy! Also, it said that they yielded 3 dozen, but I only got 2 dozen, so I adjusted that as well.

If you had already printed this recipe, you will want to change it or reprint it.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I made a batch of this today! Plan to fix cookies for supper! I mean for dessert!
Old 01-30-2002, 03:33 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cool! Let me know how you like them. Remember, the instructions given only makes 24 cookies, so you might want to make a larger batch depending on your family. Mine disappeared really quick.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well I made the cookies and they are yummy! I added some cinnamon to mine though. I must not have made them small enough because I only got 18 cookies out of one batch. They are definitely good though and it was really quick to make while supper was on the stove I just whipped up a batch of cookies!