Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Marriage & Divorce > Marriage

Marriage Marriage is a huge comittment, one that has many ups and downs. Get support and advice here.

View Poll Results: How old were you when you got married?
20 or younger 26 46.43%
21-25 21 37.50%
26-30 6 10.71%
31-40 3 5.36%
41-50 0 0%
50 or older 0 0%
I'm still single! 0 0%
I'm engaged right now 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Connie I hope you and hubby have many more God bless
Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My dh & I me at a Christian collage. I had already deided I would never marry, owing to all the psycology courses I had taken. Scarry suff!
Anway, I met my dh and we group dated (which was encouraged). We both had the same ideals for marriage, that it is a forever thing and we put the other before "me", never going to bed with unsolved issues, never belittle or name call each other i an argument (not easy), etc. We just clicked on every level.
When he did ask me, I told him he was crazy, and listed every fault I remember my Dad listing. He said "I don't care I can live with that and I love you" Now, I gota tell you my resolve not to marry went promptly out the window. I said "ok, but don't ever say I didn't warn you". We've been married for 36 1/2 years. We had 3 children girl, boy, girl. We've been through a lot, including a crosscountry move, and the deaths of my parents (dad 1/06 & Mom 11/08) our son this past January seventh. We have kept God at the center of our lives and he has never let us down.

Vivian
Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Forgot t tell yo how "young" we were. Dh ws 20 and I was 19. Our first child was born 11 months later. She was a pill baby lol
Old 08-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
I got married for the first time at 38, we've had many rough times, but just had our 20th anniversary and renewed our vows before our pastor and friends. Yes, I'd do it again.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I got married at 18, dh was 23. Now I think I was way to young but my mother would not allow me to work or attend college after high school. She thought I would live with her and dad for the rest of my life, never working or having a life. I would not advise anyone to marry that young but I have seen others marry young and it worked. I think you need to realize each of you will still grow and change a lot in the first few years.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I got married at 18 on Nov. 26, 1955. In those days everyone got married young. I did go out with him for 2 years before we married.

Thinking back it was a big decision at that age but at that age you are in love. I moved away from my parents house to be closer to my new job. Think that helped me growup faster living away from family and friends. I remember my Dad buying me a fishtank with tropical fish thinking it would amuse Me. It was more of a job keeping it clean.

My Dad would drop by to see how I was doing but never told My Mom. He would call me down to go for an egg cream soda at the soda shop. I was His first child and He always worried about Me. My Dh is older than Me so He knew I was in safe hands. We both have same values and respect & love for each other which lasted through the years.

Where did the years go. Seems like yesterday.
_______
Sueanne

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

I was 18 and DH was 20 ( we were both just short of our next BD's; him less than a month and me a little over a month). We were high school sweethearts and had been together since I was 14 and he was 17. We broke up once during the dating period, but shortly got back together. Marriage has had its ups and downs,but we always worked through any problems as divorcee just wasn't something either of us wanted. We are now retired due to DH's accident in 2000 so we are enjoying what we can while we can, life is sometimes too short so we've learned to deal with what we've been dealt.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueanne

Where did the years go. Seems like yesterday.
_______
Sueanne
Looking through old photos found this one when we first got married at a family picnic. I always loved his black wavey hair.
_______
Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy face

Great photo Sueanne!! I haven't looked through all my old photos in a long time. I will do that one day when I have nothing else to do.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Great pix Sueanne. You got married same year I did (1st time) only mine was April 9th. I like your hubby's hair back then too