Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Marriage & Divorce > Marriage

Marriage Marriage is a huge comittment, one that has many ups and downs. Get support and advice here.

Old 06-20-2002, 08:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

do you and your hubby work differant shifts?

Well i just had to share that i got a job. And it was very unexpectly. a friend of my hubbys called and wanted me to be a pravite nurse to his father. The only problem is that hubby and i will be on differant shifts. Hubby is on first 7/3 and my shift will be from 3/10. I love second shift i can sleep late and get my work done before i have to leave for my job. And the money i making i can't turn it down 2 times as much i was making per week. And no hassel just dealing with one person and not 1 million. but how do you adjust? Hubby is already ranting about me not being here and i have not even gone anywhere yet. Do any of you have this problem? I also think it would be good for our realtonship absent makes the heart grow fonder. I dont want to get away from my hubby at all i just can't turn this down it's more money and plus the fact there are a lot of great perks to this job. WHAT SHOULD I DO????????????????????/
Old 06-22-2002, 04:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

If this is what you really want...DO IT!

My DH works 7-3 with a rotating day off each week. I work 2 10 hour days and 2 14 hour nights then off for 4 days. You did not mention if you have children. We have 2DD's and we share the housework. I am very lucky DH does laundry, cooking, cleaning, dishes whatever needs to be done. My feeling is that if we are both working then we both have to be responsible for the children and everthing else that needs to be done. Tell your husband that he may need to work with you to get thing to go smoothly at first. Then see what happens.
Good Luck
Old 06-23-2002, 04:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shift work

My FH and I work opposite shifts quite often. I work 7 - 3 every day and he works a rotation of 3 shifts, one week at a time. We don't have any problem with it and just work on our communication skills when we can see each other. It is hard at first but you have to do what you have to do and he is really going to have to accept it. We manage to do it with raising my 3 children and planning our wedding for next year. It is nice to have the break from each other but it is also helpful to make sure that your time together is special. I worked the 3-11 for 7 years and managed just fine as well. It will all work out. Good luck with your new job and enjoy your alone time! ;-)
Old 06-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My Dh works 3pm-11pm and I work 7am-4pm /7am-7pm. We spend weekends together (if we aren't working). We also meet at one anothers jos occaisonally for lunch/dinner. I am off all day Wed and we spend the day together. I often stop by his plant on my way home from work to say hi. I also wait up for him every night.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

:p Good luck! By all means take the job. It sounds like a good one. My husband and I worked opposing shifts for approx. 12+ yrs. It is rough, I know. Some things that helped me. He worked 7-3 I worked 4- 12:30 or with OT 2:30 AM. We were lucky I had a 1/2 hr. commute and we could touchbase for 20 min. before we took our turn taking care of the (kids 3 of them at that time).
I cooked alot on Saturday morning early, or Sunday afternoon after church( if we were at home);so there would always be dinner in the freezer that my husband would just have to heat up for himself and the kids. He's not a good cook. This lessened his problems with the shift I worked.He took over responsibility for laundry on M,T,Th.F,and every 3rd SAT. My work schedule and started ironing his own shirts. We would schedule a time Sunday eve. and hour just for us. about sundown to sit on the front porch with a cup of coffee and just talk help catch up . and every other month we would schedule a cheap dinner date for a couple of hours. Hope this help!
Old 06-24-2002, 04:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't be to put the hex on this discussion, but my dh works nights and I work days and we have three kids. This has been very difficult for us. The kids don't get to see him, and when they do he's grumpy from his weird sleep schedule.

I have hated it!

It makes romance a challenge also!

Good luck to you.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My dh and I work different shifts and it hasn't been good for our family or marriage. Dh complains all the time that he feels like he doesn't have a wife. He complains about taking the kids to ballgames/activities, dealing with dinner, bath time, bedtime. The only other thing he does is load the dishwasher and sometimes mop the floor. I'm going to switch to days in the fall because I can't take the complaining/whining anymore! It depends on how supportive your dh is.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My Dh is very supportive and my children are also old enough to help out. We have a chore schedule that we stick to.

My boys and I take turns doing the dishes every night. They are also responsible for cleaning their room, dusting and vacumning Living room and cleaning the bathroom every week.

They do their own laundry and Dh and I do ours.

Dh takes care of everything outside and the cars.

I keep the floors swept and mopped and keep our room clean.

The boys keep the trash under control and feed and water the dogs.

Keeping everything evenly divided helps everyone do there part and no one feels like he or she is doing it all!

As for the romance lets just say you have to be creative and it keeps the sparks flying!
Old 07-20-2002, 09:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shifts

My husband and I work different shifts. I work 9a-5p M-F and hubby works 10p-6a F-T. The kiddos only go to daycare three days each week.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The only way opposing shifts worked for my husband and me was that we had the same days off.

When I was transferred to a different platoon and our days off were different, it was awful.

Other than that I really enjoyed the freedom to spend time alone or with my friends and not have to worry about excluding him.

By the time we had kids, I was only working part time so we didn't have that issue to deal with.

Talk over your needs with your husband.

You said this was a private nursing job for a firend. A private nursing job is not a FOREVER assignment. How long will this job last? Weeks , months, a year at most?

Can't he deal with a temporary situation for a financial gain? If you put it in that perspective he may be more supportive.