Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Marriage & Divorce > Marriage

Marriage Marriage is a huge comittment, one that has many ups and downs. Get support and advice here.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Do you celebrate your wedding anniversary?

Thursday is my 11th anniversary.

I am sort of bummed at the fact that I really don't think that my DH even remembered it was coming up until I mentioned it today.

I have always wanted to go all out and celebrate with gifts, dinner, going out....etc. but my Dh has never offered to initiate anything. Granted, we don't have the money to be extravigant but I think that he could think up something. I have even mentioned this to him but year after year, it seems like it doesn't change much

The last couple of years I've pretty much come to realize that there isn't going to be a big celebration so I just buy a card, usually cook dinner and make a special dessert.

Any suggestions or advice for me?

I don't want to make it sound as if he is a bad person...he's not. He is a really good husband and father.....but I think that it's time that he realizes that it takes more than just s*x for celebrating our anniversary.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Happy Anniversary for the 11th!

After marrying and before the kids came we would go out to dinner, we didn't have much money.
When the kids came along we would buy take away dinner and a block of choclate and eat it after the kids were in bed.
Once the kids (ds2) were passed 4 and our circumstances were a little better we made the effort to see if the kids could be babysat for the night and we would go away for the weekend. Twice we have been away for 2 nights and my mum comes to stay in our house so that on the monday she can take them to school etc. (mind you one of those times we were away for 2 nights we came back to 2 weeks of horror as the kids were diagnosed with chicken pox the day after we left, and no ph reception for mum to tell us!)
If we can't decide on where to spend the night away we put a few possiblities in a basket and draw one out and that is what we do/or go, that way it's up to fate as to if we go to a place he picked or I picked.
We don't do valentines we save it for our anniversary.
My hubby always remembers our anniversary and my birthday, he wouldn't be game not to LOL

Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy Anniversary!!
Dh and I celebrated 25 this years and none of them have been extravegant celebrations. We usually made a habit of going out for dinner, just the two us, every year for our anniversary. Sometimes it wasn't an expensive resturant (depending on finances), but we did have some time together.
Even this year when we celebrated our 25th we chose to have a quite family dinner with our children, while many of our friends had big parties for their 25ths.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I sure miss living near my Mom so that she could babysit for us. I hate to say it but there isn't anyone around us that I would trust to leave my kids with now.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes, Ladies!!

I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring just yet.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We are lucky ds parents live 5 mins drive away they have lived int eh same neighbourhood since 1960! My mums moved away 5yrs ago with my bro.
Yup my 20th was this Aug.

Is there a place away you can go for the night that has babysitting included, downside could be more $ spent than you wanted.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have done all sorts of things from a night away to pizza on the couch! We celebrated our 1st, 5th, 10th and 15th with a night away. Our 20th we went on a 1940's dinner flight. This year dh was sick and we didn't really do anything (although we had been given a thank you dinner the Sat night before)
I used to think we would just do the 'big ones'. I now think every year after the first couple is an achievment!

Just remember to enjoy each other whatever you do.

OK I am back from the bus run now. The other thing would be to perhaps organise a surprise (with the kids if needed) and put it in a card to him. Maybe he doesn't know what to do and needs an idea.
THe book 'The Five Love Languages' might give you an insight into what expresses love for him. We often expect everyone to understand things the way we do!
Have a great day and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Last edited by megrayau; 10-17-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, my DH is very, very good at remembering anniversaries. In fact, he is way more romantic than I am in that department. One idea is for you to see if your library has a book called, "His Needs Her Needs." It is easy to read and your DH only has to read the man chapters. It does an excellant idea, in my opinion, at explaining the men's basic needs that need to be met by the wife and vice versa. It explains that women need conversation and romance and men need admiration and sex. I am in a rush to get out the door, but I can explain more if you want at a later time. You may be able to explain that remembering the anniversary without being prompted AND being romantic about it equals sex. lol

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Tami, we just had our 25th anniversary and I'm in the same boat as you. No real celebration. HDH can't forget ours because it is 2 days after his birthday, plus he's the one who chose the date.
But we've never really celebrated. I wanted a big party for the 25th. Its such a huge accomplishment. No one, including the 2 of us thought we'd make it 2 or 3 years let alone 25. I am sti;; hoping he'll go for the party although it will be late, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It took a long time for my DH to remember our anniversary but I started to put little notes on the frig and in his wallet and his check book and any where else that he can see about a month before. Now he remembers all the time and even my BD we have went out to eat no fancy place it was Long John silvers and also had pizza at home alone now we lock the doors and turn off the lights as no kids and sit in candle light abd cuddle. also Our son had us to his house for dinner and had most of the family there. This year he is going to tyr and make me a steak dinner Our 45th is Nov 11th and we are telling every one that we want to be alone.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Tami,

I know exactly how you feel. Though my husband has never forgotten our anniversary, he has never been one to celebrate it either. But it doesn't bother me, it is just the way he is. He is a fantastic husband and a great father, so I try to accept it. We celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary in August.

-William Shakespeare

Connie