Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Making Money DO you earn money selling on ebay, working as a consultant, selling products such as Avon or Tupperware, or maybe you work with companies such as Melaleuca or Quickstar. You can share advice and tips here as well as ask questions. This is NOT a classified board, don't just post an ad and leave. You may carry your business link in your signature file.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Question Opening an In-Home Daycare

Originally posted by littlecmom in another thread:

I've tried starting a day care in my home, but no luck. I put up some flyers around my little town but nothing. Is there advice on how I could do better? I'm a stay at home mom with 2 kids and 1 in school so I thought it would be something to do.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi there

I was very fortunate when I started doing daycare as i had a lady approach me and ask after I ahd my son if I had ever thought of opening a daycare?? I was unsure at that time ....I had worked in a daycare and the thought of leaving my son after 4 miscarriages and a near death experience made the idea rather appealing. I decided to watch her daughter and through word of mouth I gained a few more kids. I have never advertised andi have never been without kids. Word of mouth has kept me in buisness.

One suggestion I have is to let the schools know you are opening a daycare and ask if they will keep your name on file to give to parents looking for childcare. the parents will still have to contact you and interview you to see if you are the right fit for them but at least it is a start. Our local school has given my name out many times without me even asking but it is nice to know they think of me.

It takes a while to establish your self but eventually word of mouth gets around and you will pick up customers just keep advertising and make sure in your advertisement you let them know what you will do.....ex. we have craft time , story time, fenced yard for outside play, drama time, snacks nutrtious maels etc. Make your sign stand out above the rest ,,,use bright colors and tabs to rip off with your phone #. Think if you were a parent searching for a dyacare what would you be looking for???? It is a big decision on a parents part to leave their child with someone....they want to make sure they won't be stuck in front of a tv all day!!!

Hope this helps....I have been in buisness for 10 years now and love it!!!

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 08-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have a forum for Daycare Providers and Preschool teachers here:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...00&forumid=437

Hope you find some good info!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Assistant Moderator

I have been a home daycare provider for almost 16 years. My advice is advertise in your local newspapers and post ads up in shopping centers, grocery stores and laundry mats. That is how I found my first daycare child all those years ago and I have never had to advertise since. Now I get children through word of mouth. All I have to do is tell my current daycare mom's I have an opening and once the word is out I start getting phone calls. Good luck! I love my job and love being able to be here for my own children.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Are you certified? If so, your certifier might have some referrals. Also, check to see if there are any local referral agencies. I work for the Federal Child Care Food Program, and deal with 275 daycare providers. Parents often call us to get names of daycare providers who have openings. And the providers who are full, often refer each other. I know it's hard to get started, but all of a sudden, the day will come when you turn around and realize you have to turn kids away because you're full!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

thats a great idea might to start my own, isnt their a limit on how many kids u have in ur home??????????????????
Old 08-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

There is in Canada 5 but i'm not sure what it is in The states? You would have to check through your goverment agency for that. Wish I could be more help?

hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 08-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

In Wisconsin, you can have 6 if you are certified (by your county) or 8 if you are licensed (by your state). This includes your own under 13 years old. This is further restricted if you have infants (since they require more attention). I think it's pretty much the same in every state. If you are not certified or licensed, you cannot care for more than 3.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I found my 1st family at church. My son was 3 and I worked in the church nursery for the moms bible study. She had 2 children and they loved playing with my son. That was 25 years ago.

I only did one family at a time and I helped to raise the children from 6 weeks through middle school. I like dealing with only one set of parents and liked seeing all of the brothers and sisters grow up with only one daycare provider. Most of my families only worked until mom decided to stay home and do daycare like me. We would go on outings together and help each other with doctor appointments etc.

I thought I had retired when my daughter had her 1st child and asked me if I would be her daycare provider. I now take care of 7 grandchildren, 13 yrs, 11 yrs, 6 yrs, 4 yrs, 3 yrs, 18 mos & 17 mos. The kids love being raised together and miss each other if one of the moms has a day off.

It is a wonderful job if you love hugs and kisses and rocking sleepy babies.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
Old 08-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Be careful! If you haven't already, you'd better check your state and local ordnances to be sure you are complying with any regulations.

In GA, you may keep up to 5 kids without licensure. Over 5, you have to be licensed and certified. That means inspections and all that! But, it also means you can qualify for the Federal food programs for daycare centers, which reduces your costs a little (beware of *their* regulations, though!).

Whether you are licensed or not, you need to get extra insurance in case one of the little darlings gets hurt playing on a swing or something.

If, however, you are caring for relatives (nieces, nephews, grandkids) you don't need licensure in GA. (I can only speak for GA.) Even if you go over the 5 kids limit.

Keeping 2 or 3 kids wouldn't be onerous on you, however, wouldn't cost much, and would bring in a little money.

Word of mouth advertising is probably the best way. Tell a few of the moms in your schoolkid's class that you are going to do some daycare, and the word will get spread. Make up some business cards to give out. You can print them yourself using Word or WordPerfect and Business Card stock from Office Depot OR you can go to VistaPrints and design your own for next to nothing. I have used VistaPrints before, and they do very nice cards.

Give out the business cards to all the moms you know - give them each 6 or 8 and ask them to give them out to their friends.

Develop a Preschool curriculum - there are a bunch of resources here on FC, and on the web in general. You can download alphabets and numbers to color, other kinds of coloring pages, crafts and things to do. The homeschool websites have all kinds of stuff. Check out your local chamber of commerce and find out what's available for little kids in your area - parks, museums, activities, etc. Set aside one day every 2 or 3 weeks as a "field trip" day. You can use these as attractions for moms who call to ask about your daycare.

Good luck - and be careful!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth