Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Meals on a Budget

Menu: Aunt May's Lasagna, Garlic Tomato Bruschetta, Walnut Romaine Salad Sorry this one has no dessert with it, but the meal is soooo filling you don't want one. ;-)

Cost: $1.30/serving 12 Servings per dish!

Aunt May's Lasagna: 1 pound ground beef; 1 large onion, chopped; 2 garlic cloves, minced; 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes; 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomatp paste; 1 teaspoon dried basil; 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano; 1/4 teaspoon pepper; 1 bay leaf; 9 lasagna noodles; 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and coarsley chopped (we didn't use these and it was still good); 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozza rella cheese; 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
In a large sauce pan, cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, pepper and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Stir in olives.
Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Top with three noodles and a third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

Garlic Tomato Bruschetta: 1/4 cup olive or canola oil; 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil; 3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/4 teaspoon pepper; 4 medium tomatoes, diced; 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese; 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread.
In a bowl, combine oil, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Bring to room temperature before serving. Cut bread into 24 slices; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with tomato mixture. Serve immediately.

Walnut Romaine Salad: 1 small bunch romaine, torn; 1 small zucchini, chopped; 1 cup seasoned salad croutons; 1/4 cup chopped walnuts; 6 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil; 2 tables poons red wine or cider vinegar; 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard; 2 tablespoons honey; 1 garlic clove, minced; Dash of pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the romaine, zucchini, croutons and walnuts. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic and pepper until smooth. Serve with the salad.

ENJOY! Vicki

NOTE: All recipes for this meal were taken from Taste of Home Magazine June/July 2002 issue page 19.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have one...

What's called Soup Beans and Cornbread in Tennessee. A bag of Pinto Beans is usually .79 cents. A box of Jiffy cornbread is .25 cents and an onion is usually around .50 cents. Some seasoning meat-(as they say in Tennessee)- is $1.50 tops. Seasoning meat can be salt pork, salted ham pieces, bacon, ham hocks etc.

Soak beans overnight. Cover beans with water, add onion. Fry bacon and add bacon grease and chopped up bacon to pot. Cook down until beans are tender. The soup or liquid should be slightly thick. Follow instructions for cornbread. Bake, cut and slice. Serve with Soup beans and with sliced onions.

Some discount stores have regular cornbread mixes for as low as .99 cents. Cook regular cornbread if preferred.

Total cost-$3.04
Old 08-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks to you both for the recipes!!! Looking forward to trying them!

peace,train
Old 08-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ooh, these look good! I like the lasagna recipe, it doesn't have cottage or ricotta cheese in it, so that does make it cheaper! My dh made some really good lasagna one time, he used italian sausage in the sauce, he put the sauce on a cooked lasagna noodle then sprinkled cheese on it, then rolled it up, put a little more sauce on it and sprinkled cheese on top. They were really good.

Leasmom - beans and cornbread is soo good!

Carol

Old 08-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Budget Menu #2

Menu: Turkey Enchiladas, Sweet Pepper Salad, Chiffon Cake

Cost $1.72/serving 6 servings for the enchiladas and salad, 12 for the cake

TurkeyEnchiladas: 2 cups cubed cooked turkey; 1 medium onion, chopped; 1/3 cup chopped green pepper; 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided; 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies; 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream; 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted; 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander; 1/8 teaspoon cumin; 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
In a large sikillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender; remove from heat. Stir in the turkey, 1/2 cup of the cheese and all the chillies; set aside. In a sauce pan, combine the sour cream, soup, coriander and cumin. Cook and stir over low heat until warm; stir 1/2 cup into the turkey mixture.
Spoon about 1/3 cup turkey filling down the center of each tortilla; roll up tightly; Place seam side down in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Soppn remaining soup mixture down center of tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

Sweet Pepper Salad: 3 medium green peppers, thinly sliced; 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced; 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced; 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel; 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil; 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil; 1 tablespoon sugar; 1/4 teaspoon salt; 1/8 teaspoon pepper
In a salad bowl, combine the peppers, onion, and lemon peel. Combine vinegar and oil; pour over vegetables and toss to coat; Cover and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving add the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; mix well.

Chiffon Cake: 6 eggs, seperated; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided; 1/2 cup warm water; 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided; 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar; 1/2 cup chocolate ice cream topping
In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and salt for 2 minutes. Gradually beat in 1 cup of sugar; beat 2 minutes longer. Gradually add water; beat for about 2 1/2 minutes or until frothy. Beat in 3/4 cup flour. Beat in vanilla and remaining flour.
In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high, until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture.
Transfer to an ungreased 10" tube pan. Bake at 325 for 55-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely. Run a knife aroundsides of pan to remove cake. Slice; drizzle with ice cream topping.

Okay, okay. I know I said that I'd wait until next week, but I just can't help myself. ;-)

Vicki

NOTE: These recipes were taken from Taste of Home Magazine August/September 2002, pages 12-13.

Last edited by Vjumpstart; 08-26-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Budget Menu #2

Quote:
Originally posted by Vjumpstart
TurkeyEnchiladas: 1 medium onion, chopped; 1/3 cup chopped green pepper; 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided; 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies; 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream; 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted; 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander; 1/8 teaspoon cumin; 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed ---Vicki

Vicki,

How much turkey would you use? Also, would you use ground turkey (like hamburger meat) or something like leftover roasted turkey meat??

They sound d'lish!!

TIA!!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have ground buffalo

I could use for the turkey enchiladas. WOW, that's making me hungry!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

OOPS!!

So sorry that I left out such an important ingredient!!! The recipe calls for two cups cubed cooked turkey. I have edited it and hope you do enjoy. We have yet to try this one.

Vicki
Old 08-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Vjumpstart
The recipe calls for two cups cubed cooked turkey. I have edited it and hope you do enjoy. Vicki
THANKS!!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Meal #3

Menu: Baked Omelet Roll, Eggnog Pancakes with Cranberry Sauce, Hot Fruit and Sausage

Cost: $1.01/serving 6 servings each dish

Baked Omelet Roll: 6 eggs; 1 cup milk; 1/2 cup all-purpose flour; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/4 teaspoon pepper; 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Place eggs and milk in a blender. Add flou, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a greased 13x9x2" baking dish. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up omelet in pan, starting with a short side. Place with seams side down on a serving platter. Cut into 1" slices.

Eggnog Pancakes with Cranbery Sauce: 2 cups pancake mix; 1 egg; 1 1/2 cups eggnog; 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract; Pinch ground nutmeg; 1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry or jellied cranberry sauce
Place the pancake mix in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk egg, eggnog, vanilla, and nutmeg; stir into pancake mix just until moistened. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with cranberry sauce.

Hot Fruit and Sausage: 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked pork sausage links; 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits; 2 tablespoons brown sugar; Pinch ground cinnamon; 1 medium firm banana, sliced
In a skillet, cook sausage according to package directions; drain. Add pineapple, brown sugar and cinnamon; heat through. Stir in banana just before serving.

NOTE: These recipes were taken from Taste of Home 2000 Annual Recipes, pages 280-281