Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks! I knew she said that she would post it here, but I thought she ment on this thread.

V.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

to tree3branches, that recipe you posted for Poor Man's soup is a keeper, it's delicious! I used pinto beans I had on hand & a can of stewed tomatoes, all else just as the recipe says. Baked a pan of cornbread too---------what a yummy lunch we enjoyed, all thanks to you!
momperson
Old 01-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm glad I could be of help. Hope you enjoy the soup. I know my family like it a lot too..

This be tree
Old 01-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL's posting at the same time You see types slower...

We had cheese pizza for lunch. Cost about $3.00 Divide by 4 = 75 cent each.

Tonight it the shrimp I caught on sale in town Thrusday. I bought 1 pound for $3.99. Going to make stirfry tonight.

This be Tree
Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Recipe #12

Menu: Three – Cheese Shells, Beans ‘N’ Caramelized Onions, Lemon Cheese Squares

Cost: $1.56/ Serving (9 servings each dish)

Three – Cheese Shells
1 package (12 ounces) jumbo pasta shells; 3 cups (24 ounces) ricotta cheese; 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese; ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese; ½ cup chopped green pepper; ½ cup fresh mushrooms; 2 tablespoons dried basil; 2 eggs lightly beaten; 2 garlic cloves, minced; ½ teaspoon seasoned salt; ¼ teaspoon pepper; 2 jars (one 28 ounces and one 14 ounces) spaghetti sauce, divided
Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water. In a bowl, combine the next 10 ingredients. Divide the small jar of spaghetti sauce between two ungreased 13x9x2 inch baking dishes.
Fill shells with the cheese mixture and place in a single layer over sauce. Pour the remaining sauce over shells. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover’ bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.

Beans ‘N’ Caramelized Onions
4 bacon strips; 2 large onions, cut lengthwise into ½ inch thick wedges; 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed; 3 tablespoons cider vinegar; 4 ½ teaspoons brown sugar; ¼ teaspoon salt; ¼ teaspoon pepper
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the drippings, cook onions over medium-low heat until tender and golden brown, about 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the beans in a large sauce pan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until the beans are tender crisp. Drain. Stir the vinegar and brown sugar into onions; add beans. Cook uncovered, over medium heat for 1 minute. Add bacon; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper.

Lemon Cheese Squares
1/3 cup stick margarine, softened; ¼ cup packed brown sugar; 1 cup all-purpose flour; ¼ teaspoon salt; ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg; 1 cup (8 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese; 1 egg; 1 egg white; 3 tablespoons lemon juice; 1 cup sugar; 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel; ¼ teaspoon baking powder
In a mixing bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar. Combine the flour, salt and nutmeg; gradually ad to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 8 inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until brown.
For filling, place the cottage cheese, egg, egg white and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, lemon peel and baking powder; cover and process until blended. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-34 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate until chilled. Cut into squares.

NOTE: All recipes were taken from Taste of Home magazine February/March 2003, pages 18-19.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Curry in a Crock Pot

The original recipe is actually "Chicken Curry" for the crock pot, but since it calls for 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts it might not be the most frugal recipe on the planet. But, I've made it with the chicken breasts and without the chicken breasts. I'm giving the original recipe so you can make it however you like (and when I did use chicken I only used 4 BSCBs).

Chicken Curry in a Crock Pot

4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans whole tomatoes
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbls. curry powder
1/2 cup raisins
butter
rice for accompanying curry

Brown chicken, garlic and onions in butter. Transfer to slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve over rice.

Serves 4 to 6

My notes: I used garam masala instead of curry and dropped the amount used back to 1 tbls. because I like milder heat. When I used the chicken breasts, I cut them into thin slices before browning in my crock pot which heats up to 450*F. I brown with water and then add a touch of butter for flavor (1 tbls.)

I can't remember the source for this recipe.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm making this tomorrow...

Home-Style Turkey Dinner
Servings: 6
Meal Type: Entree
Ethnicity: American

INGREDIENTS:
3 Medium Yukon gold potatoes cut into 2-inch
pieces
3 Pounds TURKEY THIGHS skin removed
1 12-Ounce Jar home style turkey gravy
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 16-Ounce Bag frozen baby green bean and carrot
blend thawed and drained
As needed fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
1 Cup cranberry sauce

PREPARATION METHOD

1. Place potatoes in a 3-1/2 to 6-quart slow
cooker. Arrange
turkey thighs on top of potatoes.

2. In a medium bowl, mix gravy, flour, herbs and
pepper until
smooth. Pour mixture over turkey.

3. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or
until the internal
temperature reaches 180 degrees F.

4. Stir in vegetable blend and continue to cook
in covered
container on LOW for 30 more minutes or until
vegetables are
tender.

5. Using a slotted spoon, remove turkey and
vegetables from the
slow cooker.

6. Stir sauce with a wooden spoon and serve with
turkey.

7. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve with
cranberry sauce.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Calories: 335
Protein: 44 grams
Fat (21%): 8 grams
Carbohydrate: 26 grams
Sodium: 450 mg
Cholesterol: 155 mg

You may view this recipe on the National Turkey
Federation web site at:
http://recipes.eatturkey.com/recipe.asp?R=1561

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 10-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Good afternoon all!!

Does anyone have any ideas as to budget meals at this time?

I go home, having no one else but myself to cook for and can have soup and a 1/2 sandwich and be satisfied.

Or, I can buy chicken on sale, and make baked chicken thighs, add a baked potato and a veggie (I love frozen spinach), and still have a very inexpensive meal.

I have a list of meals that I eat, but am always open to new suggestions. Now, that I am getting a little older, I have diabetes, high bp and high cholesterol, all of which I have to consider when making a new meal.

Can anyone give me some new suggestions of menus that a) will be inexpensive, b) work for my dietary restrictions, and be fun to make at the same time?

Thanks for your help. Norma
Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Nine Year Member

When it was just my mother and I at home we did a meat chop, vegetable, and some starch like rice or noodles or spaghetti. It was almost like a standard formula. Because it was just the two of us, we were able to get a better quality meat chop and still stay in budget.

I really like a bed of greens with a sliced meat on top like chicken breast, and some croutons. I saw Farmhouse rules the other day where she made a marinated bread cubes and fresh steamed vegetables salad with a mustard vinaigrette. A big bowl of that seems wonderful with a cup of hot broth on the side now that it is colder weather.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."