Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-06-2003, 08:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Prepaid long distance phone cards

I was wondering if anyone is using prepaid long distance phone cards in place of long distance service. We have a sizeable long distance bill and would like to cut it dramatically, though the volume of calling will not decline as much (we own a small business). I have seen some for 1.9 cents per minute, but don't know who they are provided by.

Does Sam's Club have something like this? Any other ideas? Are there any difficulties in using them, ie. difficulty in dialing through to the company you get the cards from?

We are thinking that this would drop our phone bill by about 2/3 which would be helpful, since my husband quit his job to devote himself to our small business.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:12 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I personaly cut my long distance costs by getting a cell phone. I also peridicaly use my phone card the last one I got was a gift, it was from Sams and came out to be 3.4 cents a minute! Again though since getting the cell the phone card will last forever!

Leighann
Old 05-06-2003, 10:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Lee! That is what my sister did and it worked great for them, because they live in town. We live in the country and unfortunately don't have the greatest service on our cell phone, so that really isn't an option for us at this time.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband and I have a phone card and it works great. We got ours at walmart instead of Sams so our rate is 6 cents a minute but still compared to the almost 15 cents a minute our local phone company charges it has saved us a fortune.

Lynn
Old 06-13-2003, 10:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

saved about $100 per month!!

My phone bill was averaging 145.00 per month. My local phone company was chargeing us .15 - .45 a min for instate calls, and .15 for out of state. (We live very rural and where anywhere we call, is long distance) . I found the best deal from Costco- selling an MCI calling card for 19.99 with 670 minutes. And, when you recharge it, its at a rate of 2.99 cents per min. I totally cut off the long disance off of our phone. Ive saved a little over $ 100 a month with this phone card.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:56 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Seldom make long distance calls

Hi,

Personally, I hate talking on the phone and so seldom used long-distance that I finally canceled my long-distance company all together. Did not know this was an option until recently. What a waste of money all these years! (I'm 44)

I now use 10-15-335 (.04/min w/.40 minimum) or 10-10-987 (.03/min w/.39 minimum). No monthly fees/taxes. What a savings every month! (usually $0 because I email my folks now) MCI was costing us $7.35 a month just for the basic service WITHOUT placing long-distance calls!
Old 06-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I get them at Sams-they are near the registers. .04 c a minute. Our Costco is much further away, otherwise looks like that one is a better deal!
Old 06-23-2003, 04:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I use the phone cards from Sam's as well... I got rid of my LD service a long time ago once I found these cards. They're easy to use and for 3.4 cents per minute it's a great deal.
Another thing is, a friend of mine has MCI neighborhood which is $50 per month with unlimited local and long distance calls and includes call waiting, voice mail, and caller ID. I've heard that the taxes on something like that are a little bit more than what you would pay your local phone company, but if you use your phone a lot if may be worth it to you. You would have to go to their website to see if it's available in your area.

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!