Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Super Tight Budget... need help!

Ok... we have one house up for sale... we get possession of our new house June 1. So we will be paying for 2 Mortgages along with truck loans and utilities etc.

NOT MUCH money left for extras!!!

I consider myself pretty frugal to begin with but my monthly budget has been cut in half until we get rid of this house...
I make my own laundry soap, use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning, dont have cable, will only use dial up internet...etc. etc.

What do you do when you need to tighten things up ALOT???
Old 05-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi SherBear,

First of all I wish you luck with selling your house and Congratulations on the new home!

I have been a SAHM for many years, so on one income we have had some very lean time. Especially when our children were small. Here are a few things that helped me keep on track:

1. Don't go shopping unless it is necessary. It seems that we all spend when we go shopping for no real purpose.

2. Plan menus for your meals and make a list to take to the grocery store. Unless you find an incredible deal on something, stick to your list only.

3. Cutting back on the amount of meat you eat helps too. This does not mean you have to deprive yourselves. You can make a great meat sauce for pasta with only about half a pound of hamburger.

4. Try to keep car trips to a minimum for now. If your gas prices are anything like ours right now, all the little trips really add up.

5. Find fun things to do that are free, so that nobody gets down about your situation. We have had a lot of picnics in a local park over the years. We take the same food we would be having for dinner anyway and just eat it in the great outdoors. There is places for kids to play and everyone had a great time. At zero extra cost! It really is important to have fun, or all the penny pinching can get you down.

5. Do you have any extra items you want to part with before moving? Try selling them. A while back, I sold a bunch of knick-knacks and unwanted things on eBay. I managed to make over $2,500 and I don't miss any of it!

6. Go to the library and take out books about frugality and saving money. The library is a great resource and it's free! I think I have taken out every book remotely related to saving money that my library system has. It is amazing what you can learn!

I could probably go on and on!

Wishing you the best of luck!
Jenna
Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lightbulb Shop smart!

I shop smart and save by getting meat when it is on sale and then buying it in bulk. Rewrap and freeze in smaller portions.

Investment Cooking has saved me tons of money as well as time because meals are already made and we are not wasting as much fresh fruits and veggies.

TX Chef Fran
Old 05-05-2003, 12:20 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sherbear,
Check out this site it has a lot of money saving ideas when it comes to food. I have to admit at first I felt I spent a lot but it has paid off in the long run! We have and really use our deep freeze, again intial investment so this is more for the long term. Probaly not what your looking for right now, but I thought I would throw my two cents in. oops here is the site.

http://www.budget101.com/index.htm

I hope you get it sold soon, now that its spring I would be hopeful many families probaly wanted to wait for school to be out nice weather all that stuff. I saw the pic of your house on the how old is your home thread its beautiful! Good luck! Again that thread is great!
Leighann
Old 05-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sherbear, how you doing, hon?

I hope things are going well for you. Have you sold your house yet? I can't believe people aren't fighting to snap up your beautiful house(saw it on another thread)! I know this can be very stressful, hope it's over soon.

Best Wishes,
Jenna
Old 05-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Jenna!!!

that house is NOT sold yet!!! we have some people that want to buy it in a year... and rent it until then.. but there is a relocation company that is moving us and they have very strict rules about all of this crap.... very frustrating.....
I am still hopefull that it will sell this month and things wont have to be so tight!!!!

where in AB are you? both of our parents live in Red Deer.. and have family scattered all around AB... Love it there, hope to get back out west some day!!!

GREAT Tips!!! thanks ladies
Old 05-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi SherBear,

I am from Calgary! Right now the weather is awful, but usually we love it here. We have a fabulous view of the mountains from the back of our house, and we can also see the Olympic ski jumps at Canada Olympic Park. Makes us feel very open and not so much like we are on a typical city lot.

I sure hope things go well for you with the house sale. The less stress the better!

Good Luck to you!
Jenna
Old 05-10-2003, 09:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I guess if your getting the new house the first of june, it will be a busy time..put put in a garden...and plant what is expensive at the store like peppers and huge tomatoes...zucs and stuff...with all you know so far about frugal living you should write a book..really..call it "help, my bugets gone" or something like that.....and like someone before me said sell some stuff if not on e'bay a gqrage sale.....im sure while packing you will find tons of stuff to sell.....best of luck.....
Old 05-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

SherBear.. forgive me, hon.. why did you buy a house before selling yours.....?
When my sister's husband was transferred 2 states away, he went to work there, stayed in a small efficiency apt and put their house up for sale. When the house sold, they found a house right away, and then the company moved them........

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-10-2003, 11:23 AM
kellyandkids

Keep fighting the good fight.

USe that public library (even for internet although I might splurge here and just pay). Just watch out for those video tape fines! Read the Tightwad Gazette. Funniest thing I ever read. And Miserly Moms.

Practical: look over everything - cancel the newspaper, check your phone bill for extra charges like unlisted number. We've been without an answering machine for 4 months and no one has complained. Great simple frugal recipes from the WIC program at your Cnty office. They gave them to me just because I asked and told them that these were the best cookbooks ever.

I never pay for a hair cut. Did find clippers for $3 and an answering machine today for $3 at garage sales. Hard to cut my son's hair without clippers; he's wiggly.

Selling things: I first make a list and email it out to friends. Works when I need something also. I need a 5-6x warm boy coat. 3 kids lost 3 coats this year. Ugh! Never had such a problem before. Now I label label label.

And network: need something then borrow it or barter. Including childcare. I live north of the metro area. You never know???

Don't take no from that company that is supposed to be servicing YOU! Threaten to explain your disappointment with their service to your new employer. It never hurts to ask: so what can you do?

Hey - send me the link to your house. You never know???