Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-30-2003, 09:22 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I had been occasionaly using my dishwasher on the weekends, but have even pretty much stopped that! I always used Dawn but did get a great deal on palmolive and I think I have made the switch! I like the water to stay sudsy and palmolive does that! Also it seems to cut the grease just fine. Also according to Marge it sofens the hands while you do dishes. In the winter I used gloves because my hands were dry but seem okay now so skipping them as there more of a pain to me.
Leighann
Old 05-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ohh, not me, I love my dishwasher. I get eczema really bad on my hands, and I hate rubber gloves, so my dishwasher and I are very close!

Carol

Old 05-30-2003, 09:54 AM

Lightbulb I love my DAWN

Gotta have Dawn! That is the best grease cutter, stain remover and it smells great too.

There are new plastic gloves out now that aren't latex, they are nylon... feel really good although I don't use them much but do keep on hand.

Anna
Old 05-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

no no no.. *chuckle* I don't DO dishes by hand any more.. I have had a dishwasher for 20 years and that's just fine with me....and most of the time my hubby does the pots that can't make it into the dishwasher....

On occasion I have washed dishes when the washer is too full, especially when we have company, but for the most part, it does dishes and pots.....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-30-2003, 09:23 PM
kellyandkids

I'm not giving up a full hot bath (my usual long hot shower uses less water than the bath), my diswasher, or disposable diapers. I am homeschooling 3 too-smart kids and need some help somewhere. But I recycle, reuse and buy second hand. So no guilt here. 206,000 miles on my well-loved station wagon.

I run full loads-- with some unusual stuff in there sometimes getting deep cleaned. My cycle is only 45 minutes because I always stop it and air dry.

I like no scent Dawn but I would spent a fortune in rubber gloves and hand lotion if I were washing every dish that came by. I am finally growing finger nails. I discovered that super glue holds the splits and dings together while they grow out.

Someone told me today that mosquitos will drown themselves in Lemon scent Joy diluted on a white plate. I will have to try it. I could be rich at a penny a mosquito if there were a bounty.

I give the Tightwad Gazette as grad and wedding gifts. Right now I'm listening to the Millionaire Next Door on audiobook. A great audio book! If you try it, you need to know that I'm Scottish. Way to funny to find out that frugality is a genetic complusion.

There's the 'what did I today frugal' thread: today I collected disposed of water bottles with the great pop tops for us to re-use from the soccer tournament. Boiling water is a great sterilizer. Then I freeze them half full of water, finish filling them and then they keep the cooler cold while giving us drinking water.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Super tight budget.

When my ex left my daughter and I, I was uneducated, no car, no job and lived in an area that was so rural it didn't have mail delivery. I gave up the telephone, applied for food stamps, and bought nothing extra. I charged nothing. Had no cable. Rode my bike with a child seat on the back to the library. Lived at the beach at the time, so summer entertainment was taken care of. My house was so cold on the 2nd floor in the winter that you could see your breath. So kept the heat low. No a.c. in the summer. I made it. Absolutely no junk food, no soda, no chips or candy. No cookies. No ice cream - Really nothing junky. One funny thing though, is that the lobster fishermen would often drop off free lobsters, so I ate very well. I am a vegetarian now (which is also cheap), but back then I actually got sick of lobster. Town I was in was small, and people kind of watched out for me. Someone broke my car windshield one night and when the local fishermen found out, it was taken care of. Guy showd up at my door at 6:30a.m. to take care of it. People had a party to raise money for my divorce. One friend gave me tires one year when I had finally managed to get a car. I went back to school and everything is OK now. I didn't buy fancy cleaning supplies, or many of them. I think I basically used ammonia for everything. Hung my laundry out.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tight Budget

I saw a poster had mentioned the foaming soap dispensers (mixes the soap with water so you get foam out of your dispenser. Much cheaper. Makes the soap last 10X's as long). You can purchase these from Brambleberry.com. They are only $1.30 a piece. It's the shipping that is expensive.
Also, meant to mention. I did without a newspaper for a long time, then for about 5 years shared a paper with a neighbor. I figured we each saved about $60.00 a year, plus environmentally it was a good idea.
Keep your tires inflated to the right pressure. Uses less gas. Get gas in the cool early morning before it has expanded.
Maintain health, teeth, and car.
Eat foods as close to natural state as you can.
Exercise for stress reduction. Even just a walk helps a lot. If you do it with a family member or friend, it strengthens ties.
No one really needs cable. Give up cigarettes ($1000.+ dollars a year) and alcohol.
Shampoo & conditioning rinse at Sally's for $3.99 a gallon. I use it to wash nylons and other hand washables. Also to clean the shower walls. A gallon lasts a long time.
All lotions are basically the same (except for UV content). I use cocoa butter on my face at night - 2 - 4ounce containers are about $2.50 at the Dollar General. During the day I use something with a UV added.
I think all make up is pretty much the same. For some reason I am allergic to the Clinique line and have some problems with Avon eye products. No problems with the super cheap stuff. If the color is wrong, just toss it.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:36 AM
kellyandkids

That is an inspiring story. Glad they helped with the divorce party!

I remember reading about a couple trying to make it on a GI's salary druing WWII. They spent $100 a month for their groceries. Any thing a pennyover and it went back. They unplugged everything and sat in the dark and enjoyed the porch of their apartment. The price of love.

We can take thought in that. Look at all the appliances with clocks in them. Most won't function without the control pads and they now have very efficient systems. But frugal others have taken the batteries out of their wall clocks etc. to save them the energy. We unplug our Cd unit because it has a redundant clock.

Truly pulling the budget belt tight means going without heat and lights at night. Hand washing. Nice to have friends to share the stars with.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:55 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ooh--I'm enjoying this thread!! It's so nice to know I'm not alone lol!! Even though dh's hours at work have picked up again(for now) we're still having to keep our belts tightened. So:

1) Had all phone "extras" cut off--no caller id, call-waiting, unlisted #, etc. Saving about $30 per month. I thought dh had done this earlier--found out he hadn't so I did it myself hehe.

2) Made a list of every item of food in the house, then made a menu and posted it on the fridge. Will spend less than $25 this month on groceries if all goes according to plan. It should--I've already been able to get 2 extra meals out of a turkey that I hadn't planned on. There's a lot of meat on that bird lol!!

3) I pulled out all the plastic baggies I wash and reuse. Folded them neatly and stuck them back in the box--dh has a thing about using one from the crock I keep them in. Evidently it's too much trouble to hunt for one the right size.

4) Wash clothes in cold water and line-dry everything, even if it means hanging clothes up around the house. I have used a rod over my tub, and a friend uses tension rods in her hallway, as well.

5) Not buying cereal at all this month--making pancakes, muffins, eggs, rice, oatmeal and grits. My kids also love fried mush.

6) The chickens are old enough now that I can let them free-range the backyard all day. This has cut down dramatically on the amount of feed, and it will result in better meat, to boot!!

7) Turning lights off at night--in the evening. Yep--I have been using my oil lamps and candles lol!! I don't usually need to light up the entire room for things I'm doing, like getting dressed or putting on my shoes.

8) Turning off the tv!! With ds1 getting out of school this week, this will be a biggie. I bought several inexpensive card games, books, and board games, puzzles, etc for us to do. I'm anxious to see how much we'll save on the electric bill by not having the tv on all day lol!! I'm just as guilty--I'll turn it on and then not watch it.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:09 AM

Lightbulb Electricity Savings

Here's another thought: I have my microwave plugged into a power strip, when I'm not using it I simply flip the switch and don't use electricity to run the clock on it all day. Not much but every little bit helps.

Anna