Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-23-2003, 06:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you so much Anna, I will be checking that out....
I wonder about homemade fabric softner, shampoo,
conditioner and dishwasher deterg.??? I'll have to do a
search for these as well
7 of us
Old 05-24-2003, 01:04 PM
kellyandkids

Anna,

Do you know what one could use for 'body' soap. I very suspicious that soap is soap and 'body' soap is just diluted soft hand soap. My hubby needs it; I just scrub my body and let it exfolite naturally without drying soaps.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't know about making your own body soap, but I know a trick for making it go farther. You have to make an initial investment. Pampered Chef sells a soap dispenser that you put a tiny bit of liquid soap in then add water. It will turn it in to a wonderful foam that you then use for washing. I bought one from them, then discoverd several different brands of hand soap that called it something like foaming hand soap, etc. I bought several of these & reuse the bottle when the original is done. I use it with Dawn dish soap in the kitchen & for washing hands in the bathroom. But, I got some lovely smelling shower gel as gifts & use this in the shower. It is great for everything, even shaving legs. So even if the stuff you buy isn't cheap, you can make it last a long time.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:08 PM
kellyandkids

I love those! I lost a lot of soap due to kids knocking any thing fancy over and it would seep out the top. I have cleaned up enough soap in my life that it was worth the initial investment.

I now keep a dish soap bottle of diluted soap next to the sink for wetting a dirty dish to soak it or just dampening a rag. I not only use a more appropriate amount of soap but I am not wasting time by turning oon the faucet and then attempting to get just a little squeeze of soap... Great for giving my plastic bags a little squirt inside before I get around to washing the pile (see earlier post).

I'll have to do a web search on body soap. Thanks.... OK, that web search was a bit fruitless. It seems to be a milder version of hand soap. Hands get into everything and can take harsher and more frequent washings.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:37 AM

Homemade

Again, go to the search bar here and just type in homemade and it'll bring up lots of choices. Shawn the moderator has a whole section on this subject . Familycorner has so many topics and the search bar is pretty easy to navigate.

Helpful Cleaning Hint: Mildew on the shower tile? Try a spray bottle mixed with Dawn dishwashing liquid, bleach and water. Just spray and go. I just learned this yesterday, it's truly amazing. I had to repeat the spray several times to get all of it but it was easy! I can't believe how clean it came off.

Anna
Old 05-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Guys... sorry, been kinda busy packing and cleaning and stuff... we are moving this weekend YAY!!!!!

yeah.. the laundry soap is kinda lumpy... I shake the bottle everytime I use it.
You can just use it in powder form too... I think I might try that next. But I do still like the liquid.;-)

I have one of those soap dispensers too from pampered chef... you can add a drop or two of food coloring to it too then it is colored foamy soap!!! the kids love it... I would love to get one of those things for every sink in the house, but they arent cheap!!

I just read somewhere to dilute your dish soap... so I did that today and YUP it works just fine!!!! so my half bottle of dish soap is now a full one!!

Do you guys have dishwashers??? I buy the cheapest powder stuff and it seems to work fine... I havent found a homemade soap yet... I do use vinegar in the rinse.
What do you guys use??
Old 05-28-2003, 11:17 AM

Dishwasher

Mine bit the dust about 6 weeks ago.... I think it's probably clogged up from dishwashing soap? I've been doing them by hand, slight decrease in electricity bill and no change that I could tell on the water bill. Will have a better idea next month on electricity. I use the dishwasher to dry things now, just pop in and let drip dry.

Anna
Old 05-28-2003, 02:58 PM
kellyandkids

Our Frugal Zealot leader/writer of the Tightwad Gazette would say leave the dishwasher dead. I have a septic system and at $8000 per rebuild, I follow instructions and use liquid soap for my machine. I don't follow the part about using both cups full; takes about 1/4 cup to do the job or let the saddest dishes soak longer in the sink first.

I've been without an answering machine for 5 months. No one comlained until last Friday. Have a $3 garage sale one to try out.

Welcome to Minnesota where the mosquitos bite harder and faster. You will need bug spray thru September but it leaves the store shelves about Aug 5th. Hint: don't run out if you like fall camping like we do. North Shore in mid-September is great; fewer kids or tourists and fewer to no bugs.

Or Welcome to Minnesota the most geographically diverse state in the union.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:18 AM

Dishwasher

Kellyandkids-

I tend to agree with Amy from Tightwad Gazette (love those books), let the dishwasher die! It seemed to me I was always washing extra dishes by hand anyways and it took about 1 1/2 hours for the dishwasher to go through it's cycles (not including the dry cycle), much faster and cheaper to do by hand.

Anna
Old 05-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have to agree with Anna!

My dishwasher died years ago and I haven't bought a new one. I have found that I don't mind doing the dishes by hand. I look out the window and kind of decompress a bit. I let my mind wander and soon they are finished. I prefer the way they turn out too! I hate all the little bits of stuck on food cooked onto the dishes, that my dishwasher used to do!

Now, all I need to do is fill in the place where my dead dishwasher still is with a matching cabinet and I will have more storage space!

I use Dawn for handwashing. What is your favorite dishwashing liquid?

Jenna